The Hunger Games

Chapter 12

It took me forever to get back to my room, but when I got there, Hannah and Jewels had set out the most amazing dress ever. The dress was hot pink with bunched up ruffles and a big black bow tied in the front. The lining on the top of the dress was made of silver diamonds. Hannah and Jewels stepped into the room, and I started crying. They rushed to my side.
"Whats wrong dear?" Jewels looked confused. I looked up an smiled at her.
"It's just so pretty." I answered her.
"Thank Hannah, she did most of the work." I stood up and hugged Hannah.
"Hurry up and get the dress on. You wouldn't want to be late."

We headed up the winding stair cases and through the halls before we finally reached the elevator. I'm still not used to all the turns. They still confuses the crap out of me. It felt as soon as I was in the elevator I was stepping out of it again. We went backstage where I saw Zander and Mason. I was about to meet up with them when Jewels stopped me. She pulled me a couple feet away, out of earshot of all the other people around us.
"Are you ready?" she the asked nervously
"For the interview or to die?" I answered sarcastically.
"I was talking about the interview, and I can clearly tell that the answer is a no." she said glaring at me. I laughed, because she was probably right.
"What kind of personality are we going for then?"
"I don't know." I answered. "I could care less what they think of me." Especially not those stupid Capitol people. I didn't say that part aloud though. Jewels is from the Capitol and I decided I'd be nice by not offending her. Not today at least.
"You may not care, but if you have a bad reputation it will cost you in the arena."
"Okay... then I'll go for plausible." I said.
"Plausible... I like that. It describes you perfectly, except for the sarcastic and disrespectful side." I gave her a nasty look and walked away. I took my place behind Sari. I would be the 2nd person to go on, and I was nervous.
After about 20 minutes, Sari headed on stage. She did great. She made it look like she had been on stage her whole life. 3 minutes passed and the buzzer went off.
I felt like running away from the world, but obviously I couldn't. The Capitol would probably have me dead.
It was my turn. Caesar Flickerman called me on stage. I walked across the stage quietly. It was as if I was a feather. My friends back home were always jealous of me because of that. They said I looked like a fairy every time I walked down the stairs.
I made sure to smile for the cameras, but I didn't dare smile too big. I'm not about to make the world think that I'm happy about this, because I'm clearly not.
I took a seat on the red velvet chair and Caesar started with the questions.
"Michaela Brown!" he said smiling as we shook hands. "A pleasure to meet you. So, you're from District 11, right? Now tell me, what did you leave behind at home?"
My heart started to beat faster.
"My life."
Caesar Flickerman started to laugh halfheartedly. So much for being plausible.
"Any family? Friends? Pets? Boyfriends?"
"Well, I did leave a lot of friends, but I'm probably going to have to say I'm really going to miss my dog and my Mom."
Caeser Flickerman smiled. "Oh, so no boyfriend?"
"Well, actually..."
"We saw you and Zander Lane together on the carpet. I don't suppose you guys are together, are you?"
"Actually, yes we are..."
We heard whistles and Ooo's coming from the crowd. I felt myself starting to blush.
"So, how do you feel about going into the arena with Zander, Mason, and Sari?"
"Sari and Zander are my best friends... Mason is pretty cool too. I'm not really happy about it. After all, only one person can make it out alive."
Caesar Flickerman frowned. "Well, we wish you the best."
That's when the buzzer went off. Thank God. I though I was going to die up there. I felt as though I was going to throw up. The bright lights made me dizzy and hot.
I gave Zander a good luck hug before I started walking towards the elevator.
All I want is to get some sleep before tomorrow. In other words, my funeral.