Status: It's happening

New Years Explosions

Prologue

2011 New Years Eve 11:59pm

Cale stared up at the cloudless sky, wishing he was somewhere, anywhere else other than the New Year’s party. He lived with his rich Uncle Bartholomew. Uncle Bart always threw massive parties, which Cale, much to his disappointment had to attend.

Sighing Cale leant against the balcony rail staring at the nearly full moon. Another year has passed and another about to begin. Another without his parents. Every New Years eve his thoughts would drift back to that day, the day they disappeared. He had been 10 at the time, “I can’t believe it’s been almost 6 years” he whispered to himself.

“Cale” Uncle Bart called from the stairs, rolling his eyes he pulled himself from the rail and went inside to join the partygoers in the countdown. The faces of the neighborhood girls, who he proceeded to ignore, greeted him with smiling faces as he made his way through the crowd to Uncle Bart.

He grinned at Cale, “countdowns about to begin” he said. When he saw Cale’s expression he stop smiling, only slightly. “It really been 6 years huh?” he sighed, he missed his brother and sister in law dearly.

Cale nodded his head in response and look to the T.V as the countdown started.

“10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, “The partygoers chanted as the countdown began all around the world.

“Happy 16th birthday” Cale said to himself and downed the rest of his drink.

“1!” they cried and held their breath waiting for the fireworks to appear and light up the sky. The bells chimed twelve a loud hollow booming sound filled everyone’s ears. The fireworks never came.
***
Kayne hated New Years.
While everybody was out partying and getting drunk and yelling out numbers, he sat in his bed in the hospital reading and trying not to think about the 'festivities' outside. He didn't think they were festive -they just annoyed him.

Kayne hadn't been out for New Years in about eight years. He was ten the last time He celebrated it. They didn't know about his condition back then, and so it was as though nothing was wrong.

Now he's here, in a hospital, throwing his life away between pages. Literally. Every page he turned, the more energy he used, and the less he lived.

Kayne flicked his eyes to the clock on the wall in his room. It's black surface contrasted to the sterile white walls. Three, two, one. Right on cue, they started counting down from ten. Kayne could hear them through the closed window, the huge crowds in the city below chanting the same numbers.

"Ten, nine, eight, seven..." It kept going.

Well, this was the eighth New Years he'd spent in hospital, in the same room, the same bed, the same surgical curtain, the same monitor, the same mask that kept him alive with its magic oxygen... Nothing changed.

Until that night, when the clock struck twelve.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment, subscribe!
Is it a keeper?