In Love with the Prince (of Darkness, That Is)

Chapter Eight: Cleaning This Gun (Come On In Boy)

"Show me what you got," Jesse demanded when the four girls threw open the door to the apartment. He, Nathaniel and Craig were all sitting on a couch watching television.

"Are you watching the security camera again?" Dreama sighed, looking at the screen over her brothers' shoulders.

"It's funny. The last guy picked his nose while he waited. Anyway, show me what you bought."

"Why?"

"Because I want to see it."

"Are you sure you're straight?"

"Shut up and show me."

Dreama modelled the green dress and heels, and after a general chorus of admiration from her brothers, she slid back into shorts and a sweatshirt and joined them on the couch.

"So what are the threads for?" Nathaniel asked.

Dreama bit her lip, debating in her mind whether it was a good idea to tell them the truth. She and Gemini exchanged glances, and Gemini prompted her with a nod. Dreama sighed. "I might... have a date... or something," she mumbled.

All three brothers spoke at once.

Jesse looked impressed. "Who's the guy?"

Craig looked confused. "What about Tom?"

Nathaniel looked worried. "Do we get to meet him first?"

Dreama held up her hands. "Whoa! One at a time!"

"I'm oldest," Nathaniel said as though that settled it. "Do we get to meet him?"

"No," Dreama replied, quickly and forcefully.

"Why not?"

"Because you always scare away the guys I date."

"What about Tom?" Craig interrupted.

"Tom is a jerk."

"What happened now?"

"I'm sorry, Craig, I know he's your friend, but he's suffocating me! He freaks if I even dance with another guy. I need a break from him for a while."

Craig nodded, not out of understanding, Dreama knew--his mentality about girls was much the same as his friend's, if not quite as possessive--but because he knew her mind was made up.

"And now we move on to the most important thing," Jesse said, commandeering the conversation. "Who is he and where did you meet him?"

"Don't you have exams to study for?" Dreama responded waspishly.

"I just have guitar theory tomorrow. I'll be fine. Tell me."

"His name is Taylor Gable, and we met at the club. Are we finished? The game's about to start."

"I still think I should get to meet him."

"No, Nathan. At least give me enough to find out if I like him before you freak him out, okay?"

"Well, how old is he?"

It occurred to Dreama that she had never asked, nor had she been told. "Twenty-one," she guessed quickly. "Same as Tom. I'm not a baby, Nate. I can handle myself on one itty-bitty date. I don't even know if I'm going to go yet, really."

"She's just being silly," Gemini interrupted. "Of course she's going."

"Gem, we've gone over this."

"Yeah, well, Cassandra, unless that you can prove you're suddenly psychic, I refuse to believe that it's anything more than nerves. I mean, you haven't been on a real date in... well, ever. 'Cause, I mean, you and Tom only ever hang out here or at the club, and those little afternoon, group, movie things are not dates."

"I get it, Gem. My love-life--"

"Or lack there-of," Gemini interjected.

"--is a closed topic of discussion," Dreama finished loudly. "The game's on."

*~*~*

Taylor did not come to sing at the club on Tuesday night, much to Dreama's disappointment--or maybe her relief. She wasn't quite sure which to feel. On the one hand, she couldn't shake that feeling that getting involved with Taylor was a bad idea. On the other, however, she couldn't deny that she was curious--and attracted.

By the time Thursday rolled around, Dreama was a tightly-wound bundle of nerves. Having gotten off work at four that morning, she slept until noon, and then woke and ate two peanut butter and banana sandwiches, washed down with a large glass of milk. She couldn't stand wasting around the house all day--Thursday was the one day a week that she didn't have dance lessons--and so she dressed in her one-piece black bathing suit and went down to the apartment complex's outdoor pool. She swam until it was almost impossible to move her legs anymore, at which time she went up to her apartment and, after stretching out her legs, greeted her brother, and then collapsed on the couch and slept again until six.

She was roused from her nap by Gemini, who had come in with Nathaniel.

"Go shower, and then I'll do your hair and makeup," she commanded.

"You don't need three hours," Dreama groaned, closing her eyes to go back to sleep.

"Wanna bet?"

Dreama sighed and dragged herself into the bathroom to shower, using the brazil nut shampoo and conditioner, the smell of which she had been addicted to since Rebecca had first bought her a bottle for Christmas three years before, and pink grapefruit body wash. Once she was finished, Gemini coated her hair in hot wax, wrapped it in a towel, and made her sit on the couch for an hour while it worked its magic. Jesse wrinkled his nose at the smell, but, at the disgruntled look on his sister's face, made the wise decision to keep his mouth shut. He, Nathaniel, Gemini and Craig--who had returned from work while Dreama was in the shower--gulped down a dinner of soup and sandwiches, and then Gemini, with her duffel bag of products, locked she and Dreama in the bathroom and forbid the brothers to come in until she was finished.

After rinsing out her hair, Gemini blow-dried Dreama's auburn curls and straightened them, bringing out her natural blond highlights. Then she set to work on Dreama's face. After what felt like hours, Gemini sat back to examine her handiwork. "Good. I'll get your dress. Don't look yet."

Dreama sighed and sat with her hands between her knees while she waited for Gemini to return. When she did, she was not only carrying the dress, shoes, and belt, but a watch, necklace, and--

"Fishnet stockings?" Dreama stated dumbly, looking at the tights. "Oh no. There is no way."

"Yeah, I think there is. Put them on."

"Gemini, I am not wearing those. I will look like a hooker."

"Guys like that."

"It's not happening."

Gemini sighed, but for once let Dreama have her way and ditched the tights. Dreama slithered into the skin-tight dress and strapped on the heels. She put on the belt and watch--silver with a green face--while Gemini clasped the silver necklace around her neck. Finally, Dreama stood back and looked at herself in the mirror.

"Not half bad, if I do say so myself," Gemini stated from behind her.

"It's good, Gem. Thanks."

"See what you can be when you just take a little pride in yourself?"

Dreama scoffed. "This is way too much hassle to do every day. But it was a nice try." She braced herself with a deep breath, and then opened the door to the bathroom. Nathaniel wolf-whistled when he saw her.

"Look at you!"

"You're a babe," Craig laughed.

"Looking good, sis," Jesse added.

"Thank you. I'm going to clash with his car."

Gemini laughed as she walked to the window, while Dreama described Taylor's custom car to her envious brothers.

"So he's loaded," Jesse summarised glumly.

"Looks that way."

"Boy, you can pick 'em," Jesse laughed.

"You are such a girl," Dreama said, rolling her eyes.

"Uh... Dray?"

"What, Gem?"

"I don't think that's Chevy downstairs."

Jesse jumped up and ran to the window beside her. "My God! That's Mercedes S500!"

"He sent a limo?" Nathaniel laughed as Dreama went to check.

"And a driver."

"Wow. You must have impressed him a lot, Dray."

"Uh... I guess so." She turned away from the window. "I can't do this. Look at that car. There is no way we're going to have anything in common."

"I just spent two hours getting you ready. You're going, and you'll have a good time."

The phone rang and Dreama lunged for it. Any excuse to delay actually going downstairs.

"Hello?"

"Hey, babe."

Dreama sighed. "Thomas, I don't want to talk to you."

"Aw, come on, babe. It's been over a week. Can't we get together tonight and talk?"

"I can't."

"Why not?"

"I have plans."

"So cancel. I want to talk to you."

"I don't have anything to say."

"I do."

"Have something to say to me? Well, I'm sorry, Tom, but you lost your chance. I have to go."

"Will you just hear me out? I know I over reacted, and I'm sorry. I just think I deserve another chance."

"I don't! We've been over this too many times. I'm not your girlfriend and I never have been, and that's just the way it is."

"It doesn't have to be; if you'd just listen to me--"

"Don't even try to blame this on me."

"I'm going to come over, okay?"

"Well, you can come over, but I won't be here. My ride's outside."
♠ ♠ ♠
That should make up for the briefness of the last two.

Title credit goes to Rodney Atkins, off the CD If You're Going Through Hell. The song sort of relates to the chapter, though there are no guns, because it's all about what daddy's say when some kid comes to take their little girl on a first date. "Come on in boy, sit on down, and tell me 'bout yourself. So you like my daughter, do you now? Yeah, we think she's somethin' else. She's her daddy's girl, her momma's world, she deserves respect, that's what she'll get, ain't it son? Y'all run along and have some fun. I'll see you when you get back, bet I'll be up all night--still cleaning this gun." ... Yeah, so anyway, I really love the song, and I figured the whole "first date" thing.... You get it.

Anyway, shout outs go to (really, this is just a shameless self-promotion): The International Library of Poetry, for publishing my poem and giving me the Editor's Choice Award. I got a little pin and everything--it's so cute, but really misleading, since it looked a lot bigger on the website. But whatever.