Near to You.

002.

Baby blue lights twinkled in the muddled darkness as a silky silhouette stood in the corner of the oak stage. It was capturing Matt’s attention to the fullest; he couldn’t tare his eyes away from the most entrancing figure he had ever seen. “Gena would pick a place like this,” Brian laughed as his fellow band mates and their girlfriends slipped into the red velvet booth before them.
“Hey, it’s my birthday and Mr. Vengeance over there said we could go anywhere.” Gena laughed as Zacky wrapped an arm lovingly around her shoulder. Matt hadn’t spoken a word since they arrived, his mind, heart, and eyes were set on this mysterious shadow.
“Yo, Matt.” Johnny waved his arms in front of Matt’s face, earning a slap down from him. “What’s wrong with you?” He asked and averted his eyes to the tan, laminated menu that lay on the slick table.
It was almost on cue, the silhouette moved from the shadows into the dim lighting. Her long blond hair flowed down her bare back, caressing the frame of her prominent shoulders and aqua blue eyes gazed down at the black and white piano keys of the old grand piano. She smoothed out her silky black dress, pushed a lock of hair behind her ear, and cleared her throat, capturing the attention of the whole room.
“Uhm,” She coughed quietly and nervously bit down on her lower lip. “This is a song called Almost Lover.”
“Your fingertips across my skin. The palm trees swaying in the wind, images. You sang me Spanish lullabies. The sweetest sadness in your eyes, clever trick. Well, I’d never want to see you unhappy
I thought you’d want the same for me. Goodbye, my almost lover. Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you. Can't you just let me be?”

Her lips were glued to the microphone and her fingers slowly crept along the keys, pressing down subtly as the beautiful sound filled the room.
“So long, my luckless romance. My back is turned on you, Should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do. We walked along a crowded street, You took my hand and danced with me in the shade, And when you left you kissed my lips, You told me you would never ever forget these images, no. Well, I’d never want to see you unhappy, I thought you’d want the same for me.”

Her coated red lips pressed together as she focused all her attention on playing. He could see her counting in her mind, listening to each note carefully as she waited to continue singing, something Matt always did when he was on stage.
“Goodbye, my almost lover. Goodbye, my hopeless dream. I'm trying not to think about you,
Can't you just let me be? So long, my luckless romance, My back is turned on you. Should've known you'd bring me heartache, Almost lovers always do.”

Through the hazy, candle lit room, Matt felt as though he could see his future flash before his eyes. A life he never knew existed was projected like an old black and white film in his mind. With each note played, his heart grew fonder and fonder of this beautiful stranger that mesmerized him.
” I cannot go to the ocean I cannot try the streets at night I cannot wake up in the morning Without you on my mind So you're gone and I'm haunted And I bet you are just fine Did I make it that easy to walk Right in and out of my life? Goodbye, my almost lover Goodbye, my hopeless dream
I'm trying not to think about you Why can't you just let me be? So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you Should've known you'd bring me heartache Almost lovers always do”

She paused, letting her lips linger against the microphone just seconds after she finished. Smoothing out her dress, shutting the lid, and turning toward her adorning audience, she took a bow. With a warm smile and a sarcastic curtsy she was ushered off the stage into the back room. It was right as she smiled that it clicked with Matt, he had seen her somewhere. But the problem was, he didn’t know where.
“Guys,” He finally spoke, turning towards his laughing friends. “I’m gonna piss.” He slid almost unnoticed from the table and made his way to the back stage.
The red paisley back drop held its own against the hanging crystal chandelier and the large bay window was closed with sheer black drapes. It was brilliant to see a pale skinned women sitting against a lacey black foot rest, her head hanging low. Matt studied her.
Her hands moved slowly down her tanned legs as she carefully removed her tights, stopping at times to roll them casually up. Her hands slid around her neck and unlatched the small metal hook, letting the string of pearls fall into her lap.
“Excuse me,” Matt cleared his throat nervously and leaned against the door frame.
“Oh,” She gasped, a little startled. “Hi, can I help you?” She jumped to her bare feet and set the pearls on the side table.
“I just wanted to say that I think you’re beautiful-I mean I think your singing is beautiful.” Matt shook his head at his stupidity and rolled his eyes.
“Well thank you,” She flashed him a small polite smile and turned to grab a black duffle bag off the floor. This action, Matt knew, was a ploy to get him out of the room. It was to show him that she is to busy to talk but Matt wouldn’t let her do that to his ego.
“I’m Matt.” His husky voice boomed throughout the small, vintage room.
“Hi Matt, I’m Asher.” Once again, she turned on her heel and grabbed out a pair of blue jeans and a black long sleeve top.
“I feel like I know you from somewhere.” He crossed his arms and finally stepped into the room.
At this point she was beginning to feel annoyed and a little nervous with him being around. “Look buddy, if this is your lame attempt at trying to get me to go home with you then you can just leave now.” She huffed and began to push past him.
“Hey,” He said calmly and gently grabbed her arm, preventing her from leaving. This made her heart stop in the worst way and memories flooded her head. “Where do I know you from?” He asked again.
She stopped trying to pull away and moved closer to get a better look. It was then, when her blue eyes came in contact with his soft hazel ones that the fear faded but it was replaced with another feeling. Anger. In the pit of her stomach she knew it couldn’t be him but something in her head was screaming it at her. Asher pressed a petite hand against his cheek and ran it down his jaw slowly.
“Matt?” She whispered, hoping it wasn’t him as she stared directly into those beautiful eyes.
“How do I know you?” He asked again, still unsure.
“High school, you ruined it for me. “ She said with a slight smirk but anger was still splashed through her voice.
“Newport?” He suddenly gasped and stumbled backward. Matt stared at her body in disbelief. How could the skinny, awkward girl he tortured so long ago turn into this beautiful, voluptuous girl that stood before him.
Newport. She hadn’t been called that name since the last day of her senior year of high school.
“In the flesh, now I would really like it if you got the hell out of my dressing room.” She nearly hissed and marched into the bathroom. She took one glance at Matt’s face and slammed the door shut.
Matt could hear her stumble and curse, stomp along and change behind the door he leaned against. He smiled at her frustration and watched as she stepped out.
“You’re still here?” She continued gathering her things.
“I want to get to know you,” He said bluntly.
“You have that chance five years ago.” Asher smirked and pushed his muscular body out of the door way and bolted for the parking lot.
Matt was in shock as he watched her get into her silver car and jet off into the distance.
“Hey man,” He walked over to the bartender and ordered a drink. As the man dressed in black slid a shot of jack over to him, Matt leaned in close and asked him a question. The one question he didn’t think would change his life, but did. “What days does Asher come in and sing?”
“Almost every night,” He replied with a smirk. “She’s a tough one to catch,” He laughed and turned to his next customer.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy! Chapter three will be out either tonight or tomorrow. :)

REV