Status: Finished. No sequel.

Living On A Prayer

II

Letting out a yawn, Brian stretched his arms then brought them down rubbing the sleep from his eyes. Slowly blinking and opening his eyes, he noticed that he was still on his dad’s couch. Hearing cupboard doors open and close along with the fridge, Brian stood up slowly making his way into the kitchen.

“McKenna?” He grumbled out confused.

“Hey bubba, you slept a long time.”

Brian looked over at the clock on the stove then back over at his little sister who was making food. “What . . . I’m lost.”

“You slept for like, fifteen hours Bri.” McKenna told him finishing up making her lunch. She noticed that he just stood there rubbing his head.

“So it’s Wednesday?” Brian confirmed still amazed he actually slept that long.

“Yep, I came home from school yesterday and you were passed out on the couch. Mom and dad told me not to wake you up.” She grabbed her backpack slinging it over her shoulder. “Come on, your taking me to school.”

Brian just shrugged getting his keys out of his pocket. He looked over seeing McKenna opening the back door and saw Pinkly run inside. “How’d she get here?” Brian asked scooping her up in his arms.

“Chelle brought her over here I guess.”

“Oh . . .”

“Come on, I’m gonna be late if we don’t go now.”
Brian nodded following her out of the house to his car. He handed Pinkly off to her as he got in the car.

“So you’re in what, fourth grade?” Brian teased as he drove towards her school.

“Ha, ha very funny bubba. For your information I’m in the eighth grade.”

“Seriously?”

“Yes, I’ll be a freshmen next year. I really hope I get Ms. Kent for A.P. Biology.” McKenna told her older brother with a smile.

“A.P. Biology?” Brian asked completely surprised.

“Ya, smart people class.”

“Smartass.” He chuckled as he pulled up to the front of the school. “Have a good day and remember, no boys.”

McKenna rolled her eyes then leaned over kissing Brian’s cheek. “See you later Bubba, love you!”

“Love you too monster.” He watched as she walked over to her group of friends. She turned around giving him a wave, he waved back making McKenna’s friends giggle.

Taking Pinkly out of his car, he walked inside his house realizing how empty it was without Michelle’s touches around the house. Setting down his dog, Brian walked into the kitchen spotting his BlackBerry on the counter. Turning his phone on, he grimaced noticing how many missed texts and calls he had. Glancing at his house phone he saw it flashing red. Pressing the play button, he waited to hear what people had to say.

“You have, six new voicemails. First new voicemail on Tuesday March fifteenth at three twenty one PM.”

“Hey bro, I was just calling to check up on you. You didn’t respond to any of the text or answer you cell. Val told me Chelle was getting the rest of her stuff today. Call me to let me know you’re not dead.”


Brian counted his blessings that Matt didn’t blow up at him for not answering.

“Second new voicemail on Tuesday March fifteenth at four oh two PM.”

“Yo Gates! Where the fuck are you? Everyone is flipping their shit ‘cause you aren’t answering any of our calls or text.”


Zacky.

“Third new voicemail on Tuesday March fifteenth at four forty two PM.”

“Uh hey Bri, I’m guessing everyone else already called. I know you’re going through some tough shit right now so, its okay to disappear for a few days. Just don’t do anything stupid.”


Johnny.

Brian listened to the next two from the Jason and Matt Berry.

“Sixth new voicemail on Tuesday March fifteenth at seven oh nine PM.”

“Um, hey Brian . . . look Michelle told me what went down and I know your over at your dads but, remember I’m still your sister and best friend no matter what happens. Just call the guys, they’re worried sick. Love you.”


Brian deleted all the messages on his answering machine. He grabbed his cell phone and sent out a quick text saying he forgot his phone at home and not to worry about him. Taking the stairs two at a time with Pinkly on his heels, Brian headed to his Master bathroom shedding his jacket and shirt. He turned the water on in the shower as he toed off his Nikes and socks. After doing his business the bathroom he peeled off his pants and briefs.

Groaning as the hot water hit his tight muscles. Brian rolled his shoulders back loosening them trying to relieve the tension they held. After standing on the hot stream of water, he quickly washed his hair and his body. Shutting off the shower he grabbed a towel wrapping it around his waist. Glancing behind him, he saw that Pinkly was laying in the doorway watching him.

Pulling his towel off, Brian ran it over his hair before dropping it on the floor. Thinking he’ll get it later. Opening the drawer that held his briefs, he grabbed a pair of black ones and slid them on. Closing the drawer harder then he intended, he let out a stream of curse words and held his head.

Looking to see what fell, Brian glanced down to see a black book. Picking it up, he flipped it over and rolled his eyes. “Stupid year book. Come on Pink, papas hungry.”

A few hours later Brian heard his front door open and close. “Gates, you here fucker?” Matt’s voice boomed throughout the house. “There you are. Decide to disappear for awhile?”

Brian just nodded changing the channel to some talk show. “Daytime TV is really weird.”

“Seriously, this is all your going to do on our month off is sit here and watch TV?” Matt asked looking at his best friend as if he’d just sprouted two heads.

“Meh, I’m watchin Kenna for the weekend while Dad and Suzy are outta town.” He answered with a shrug. Pinkly jumped on the couch settling next to his leg.

“Look dude, I know it’s been shitty ever since—”

“Do you think goalies in hockey feel it if they get nailed in the groin with the puck?” Brian asked changing the subject he didn’t want to talk about.

“What the fuck Gates?” Matt sat there staring at Brian. “Are you alright?”
Brian looked over at Matt with a deadpan look on his face.

“You have your wife file for divorce while on tour and then proceed to move out and in with another guy. I’m just fuckin dandy.” Brian said standing up. “Now I think I’ll go skip my marry way down to Johnny’s bar and proceed to lose my fuckin mind.”

“Dude don’t go to Johnny’s.”

“Then what the fuck am I suppose to do Matt? I’ve got shit to do.”
Matt just sighed rubbing his face while Brian stood there in the archway of the kitchen.

“I don’t know. Get another hobby, write something but don’t get plastered every chance you can. It won’t solve shit.”

Brian rolled his eyes. “I’m not gonna drink myself stupid.”

“No but at this rate you're fuckin drinking we’ll be burying you next!” Matt yelled as Brian grabbed a beer from the fridge. “Bro we’re freaked out here. Michelle called Val hysterical yesterday saying that you told her to lock up and then left. She was afraid—”

“Then why the fuck did she leave me Matt!? If she’s so fuckin concerned she would’ve waited until I got home and tried to work it out!” Matt stood there watching at his best friend slowly started to melt down. “I can’t fucking do it Matt. I can’t just carry on acting like these last few years haven’t meant shit. I promised myself when my parents got divorced I would never do that and now look!”

“Okay Bri, you need to calm down.”

“Dude, just go home.” Brian muttered heading towards the stairs.

“Bri—” Matt was cut off with a door slamming. Letting out a groan Matt left his best friends house. Driving the short distance to his, he got out to see Val walking out the front of the house with her arms around the tiny bump on her stomach.

“So?” Val asked.

“No use Val. He’s fuckin lost it, I swear he’s gone. I don’t know what will get him back.”
Val watched as Matt sunk into the couch with his head in his hands. Biting her lip, Val let out a silent prayer that someone would help her best friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to my friends baby girl Zoie that was born on Saturday (ZV bday).

Thank you to all Readers/Subscribers/Commenter


love to know your thoughts.