Regrets A Waste Of Time

Kiss From A Rose

I sat on the sink of my bathroom counter, Zack was wiping the excess blood from my face. I wasn’t sure what the expression on his face was suppose to be it looked like a mix of anger, pity, and confusion. I didn’t even know how I was going to explain my missing molar to my parents, let alone the bruises on my cheek and body. Zack put alcohol on one of my wounds and I flinched.

“Ow” I said backing away from him, but he grabbed the back of my head and held me tightly.

“We have to make sure your wounds don’t get infected, so be still” said Zack in a gruff, protective tone.

“I tried to protect your bass” I said as Zack stopped cleaning my wounds.

“David, stop. I don’t give a shit about that bass. I told you I was saving up for a new one. I would rather have a broken bass and a David then a broken bass and no David” said Zack with a frown, I looked into his hazel eyes. I wanted to look away, I wanted to stop what I was about to do with every fiber of my being. I kissed his soft lips, I felt Zack’s lips tighten and then move away.

“I am so sorry” I said hating my self, I tried to jump down and away from Zack but my legs were too weak and I fell to the ground. Zack pulled me up to him and looked me in the eyes.

“David, don’t be sorry ok. You didn’t offend me, just not use to guys kissing me. Listen, David, I like you. You are an amazing guy and I want to be there for you, “ said Zack he paused and looked at me, I didn’t know what he was trying to find written on my face. He leaned in to me and kissed me gently on the lips. His strong hand rested itself on the small of my back. He broke away from me and stared at me, “I don’t know what I can be to you”

“My friend?” I asked sheepishly, I was confused by what had just happened. Zack Merrick had just kissed me.

“I am already your friend, David. I don’t know if I can be more to you. I am not gay or at least I don’t think I am. Maybe I just like the attention you give me or maybe I want to make you happy because I hate seeing you cry. I don’t want you get your hopes up, so please don’t look into the more than what I am saying to you right now. I don’t know what I am, I love girls. I love everything about girls but I couldn’t stop myself from being with you, it confuses me more than ‘Vanilla Sky’ did., “ he paused, I started to smile, “why are smiling at me?”

“Are you saying you want to date me?” I asked, Zack shrugged and looked to the floor.

“I don’t want to see you getting hurt anymore. Let’s be friends ok, like we are now. Maybe if I want to kiss you, I will. Don’t look more into this than it is, I don’t want to hurt you. I will do everything possible to not let one more person hurt you” said Zack as my bedroom door opened, we both turned to see Alex standing there. I felt Zack’s grip on my back tighten. Alex looked at me and look of anger and regret washed over his face.

“What happened, Davey?” asked Alex walked over to me, I watched as Zack started to move in front of me but stopped himself.

“He got beat up because of the blog post, Alex.” said Zack, Alex eyed me sadly.

“Are you ok?” Alex asked and I nodded.

“Yeah, my ribs hurt some and I am missing a molar, but I think I will live” I forced a smile on my face, Alex looked to Zack before moving towards me and hugged me gently.

“Why don’t you get some rest, I will sleep over” said Alex, I nodded as Zack spoke.

“You can go home Alex, I will stay with him” said Zack in a gruff tone.

“He is my best friend, I think I should stay” said Alex raising a brow, I held up my hands.

“Guys, you can both stay with me. I don’t care, but I am not going to have the two of you fighting. I am so fucking tired of fights” I said as I walked away from them and got in my bed.

“I will put in a movie, we could watch The Shinning” said Alex

“I think a comedy is in order, Alex” said Zack as he sat beside me in the bed.

“Fine, we will watch, Dogma” said Alex, I smiled at Alex, he knew that it was my favorite movie. I smiled as the opening credits starting playing. Alex sat on the edge of my bed and would occasionally look back at me. I felt Zack’s hand brush my hand gently as my eyes began to get heavy and I fell asleep.