Drop Dead.

Chapter Twenty-Two.

My stomach was in knots by the time I pulled into my designated parking space. My brain was on autopilot when I locked the door, walked into the building, and unlocked the door. It was as if my body was giving me no choice but to tell Melanie the truth. She was sitting in the living room when I walked in. A smile graced her beautiful face but when she saw the crestfallen expression on mine, it dropped.

“Char,” she said rising slowly from the couch. “Are yeh all righ’?”

This was it, I thought. It’s do or die.

“Melanie, I need to tell yeh something.” I watched her face grow concerned as I jerked my head towards her bedroom. She followed me, and we each sank down – I sat a little farther away in case she decided to get violent.

My palms began to sweat and my breathing was uneven, a clear sign of anxiety. My knee was bouncing on her carpet and my teeth were worrying my bottom lip. My stomach hadn’t settled and I felt that if I opened my mouth, I’d lose my lunch. Inhaling and exhaling slowly, I glanced at Melanie.

“What is it?” she asked me lowly. I could see the fear in her eyes as I delayed the words that would surely break her heart. I knew my friendship with her was on the line at that moment and tears instantly sprang to my eyes as I realized that I might actually lose my best friend.

“Mel, Oliver cheated on yeh…” I started, watching her face. Her mouth turned downward and her eyes started shining with tears.

“How do yeh know?” she whispered. She and I both knew that if she spoke any louder her voice would break.

“Because…” I trailed off in a whisper. I looked away then; I couldn’t bear to watch her face contort from heartbroken to furious in a matter of seconds. “He cheated on yeh…with me.”

I guess sitting away from Melanie wouldn’t have stopped her from getting violent. My cheek stung where her palm made contact and tears streamed down my face as I kept my eyes to the floor. I knew Melanie was crying just the same.

“Get out, yeh bitch.” I opened and closed my mouth a couple times, couldn’t find any words to ease her pain. Nodding, I rose up from her bed and left the room. I heard her footsteps behind me. “No, not to yeh room. I mean out, Charlotte.”

I spun around, wide-eyed, and stared at her. Her jaw was set, tears streaming down her face. Melanie looked so unnatural when she cried, as if she wasn’t made to. She was one of those people who was supposed to comfort those crying around her. It broke my heart a million times over to see her crying – because of me, because of Oliver.

“What?” I asked her, my voice breaking with hurt and confusion. Melanie crossed her small arms over her chest.

“I want yeh out o’ this apartment. Tonight.” Her voice was firm and even; she was serious. My mouth began to flap again, making me look like a fish.

“Where am I supposed to stay?” I finally choked out, feeling a fresh onslaught of tears in my eyes. I expected Melanie to be pissed, but not furious enough to kick me out of my own apartment.

“Not my problem, Charlotte.” With that said she spun on her heel and strode back into her bedroom, being sure to slam the door to emphasize her ire.

My stomach felt like it’d been kicked in the gut with a pair of steel-toe boots. My heart felt like it’d been torn in two. My legs turned to jelly as my entire body became numb to everything. I was devoid of emotion as I packed an overnight bag, opting to come back for the rest once I found a permanent place to stay. I picked up my keys and left my bedroom. I glanced at Melanie’s closed door once more before letting out a strangled sob and shuffled to the door.

There was only one place I knew of that I could stay.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a twofer. Happy holidays everyone, ha. This is your present from me :D So I got my industrial piercing today. Can I just say...THAT IT HURT LIKE A MOFO?!? Because it totally did. But it was worth it. Oh, and I bought a velociraptor necklace for Velociraptor Awareness Day. I dunno how many of you actually do that, but to all of those who do: appreciate your friendly, neighborhood velociraptor; it may go extinct one day.

Feedback is greatly appreciated :D