Sequel: Let Me In

Papercut

Oceans-The Format

Oh how I hope that you're happy
I hear you're somewhere in the sand
and how I wish I was an ocean
Maybe then, I'd get to see you again


I woke up the next morning still naked, and wrapped securely in Josh’s arms. I could hear the soft snores escaping from his parted lips, and bit my lip. I had two scenarios running through my head, and I couldn’t decide which to play out.

The first involved me quietly leaving the house, only leaving him a letter with barely an explanation as to why I was leaving. Then I’d get in my car and drive off somewhere and pray to never see him again.

The second involved me staying in my current position, and seeing where the day would take me. I could risk everything I had, and try to make myself happy while reinventing myself.

As I stole another glance at Josh, I knew that I didn’t have the strength to just up and leave him. The clock on the nightstand informed me that it was barely past 7A.M, so I cuddled back into Josh’s side, and fell into a peaceful slumber.

“Payton, wake up,” I heard Josh say slightly shaking my shoulder.

I cracked one eye open, and saw him still lying right next to me but with wet hair. He smiled, and I couldn’t help but to return it. Judging by the brightness in the room, I figured it had to be closer to noon now. I opened my mouth to say something, but was cut off by my stomach growling loudly.

“How about you shower, and I’ll take us to breakfast, well lunch?” Josh said pushing himself up and laughing at my stomach.

“I just have to go get some stuff out of my car,” I said sitting up clutching the sheet, “Can I borrow some clothes to walk out to my car in?”

He just nodded and handed me his shirt and shorts from the previous night. I slid them on, making him turn his back, and thanked him as I walked out of the room. My keys were still on the small table by the door, and I grabbed them before walking out onto the hot pavement. I mentally cursed myself for not wearing shoes, and power walked to my car. I pulled a simple outfit from the top suitcase, and practically sprinted back into the house.

“Hey Payton, sleep well?” John asked his position at the table with a smirk on his face.

“Yeah, fine,” I said with a blush on my cheeks.

He just laughed, and I continued into Josh’s room. He was now fully clothed in some skinny jeans and a t-shirt, and informed me of where the towels were. I went into the bathroom, and turned the shower up as warm as I could stand, before hurrying through all of the processes.

I stepped out and wrapped the fluffy towel around my body and another around my hair. I dried myself thoroughly and pulled on my jeans and black v-neck after applying some lotion. I decided to skip putting on make up, since it was still out in my car, and brushed my hair out after drying the ends with the towel.

“Ready?” Josh asked from his cross-legged position on the bed in front of his macbook.

“Let’s go,” I said slipping on my flip-flops and following him out of out the room.

John was now slumped on the couch, but took the effort to wink at us and wish us a good time. I blushed, knowing he had heard us last night, and gave him sorry smile. We got into Josh’s car, and he drove us to the local diner we had gone too during high school. I smiled as we slid into the familiar teal booths, and mindlessly scanned over the menu.

“Does Brady know where you are?” Josh asked after our orders were placed.

“Not at all,” I said toying with the napkin, “I grabbed the money I had stashed, along with my possessions and left my key on the counter. There’s no doubt in my mind that he’s doing everything he can to find me, and torture me when he does.”

“I won’t let him hurt you ever again,” Josh said reaching across the table and placing his hand on mine.

“Thank you,” I said as the waitress returned with our food, “Like I said last night, you’re support means everything.”

“And I still stand by the statement that I’d do anything for you,” he said picking up his fork and beginning to eat.

=====

I stood against my car, and sighed while trying to hold back tears. It was nearing 7 at night, and I had informed Josh of the plans I had for the rest of my life.

I knew I couldn’t stay in Phoenix, because Brady always had a chance of finding me and hurting me. I had a cousin out in LA, who had always offered me a place to stay if I needed it. only hours before had I sent her the text telling her I’d be arriving in the next few days.

“You don’t have to go,” Josh said wrapping his arms around my shoulders, “I can protect you from him, I can make you happy.”

“I know you can Josh, I just need a change of scenery,” I said shrugging and biting my lip, “I’ll be in LA, and you can always call me. I just can run the risk of seeing that asshole anymore.”

“Just know I’ll always be here for you,” he said pulling me into his chest and squeezing me tightly.

I hugged him back, and as we separated, he placed a small kiss on my lips. When it was over, he hugged me one final time, and opened the car door for me. I slid in, and he gingerly shut it for me. I slid my sunglasses on, and smiled at him as he kissed his hand and placed it against the glass. I mirrored his actions and stuck the key in the ignition.

I drove away from Josh, and felt a tear slide down my cheek as I glanced at him one final time in the rearview mirror.
♠ ♠ ♠
the end :)

but if you're subscribed don't unsubscribe!
i'm writing a sequel which should be up soon :)