Cosmic Love

Suspicion

We were all sitting around the living room, chatting. Stefan, Elena, and I on one couch, Bonnie in a chair to herself, Damon in a chair with Caroline squeezed next to him.

“I cannot believe that Mr. Tanner let you on the team,” gushed the girl with the annoying voice. I learned her name was Caroline. Five minutes with her and I already wanted to rip her throat out. Judging by the scar around her neck though, I’d already say Damon beat me to it. “Tyler must be seething. But good for you, go for it.”

“That’s what I always tell him. You know, you have to engage. You can’t just sit there and wait for life to come to you. You have to go get it.” Once again I felt the protectiveness for Elena wash over me.

“Yeah, Elena wasn’t so lucky today. It’s only because you missed summer camp,” said Caroline. “God, I don’t know how you’re ever going to learn the routines.”

“I’ll work with her,” piped in Bonnie, protecting Elena. “She’ll get it.”

“I guess we could put her in the back,” mused Caroline.

“You know, you don’t seem like the cheerleader type, Elena,” said Damon.

“That’s just because her parents died. Yeah I mean, she’s just totally going through a blah phase. She used to be way more fun.” Everyone pretty much gave Caroline a ‘I can’t believe you said that’ look. “And I say that with complete sensitivity,” said Caroline catching herself.

“I’m sorry, Elena,” cut in Damon. “I know what it’s like to lose both your parents. In fact, Stefan and I have watched almost every single person we’ve ever cared about die.”

“We don’t need to get into that right now, Damon,” said Stefan. I could feel the tension between them thicken.

“You know what, you’re right Stef. I’m sorry. You know last thing I wanted to do was bring her up.” We lapsed into silence after that. A few of us took a sip from our tea to fill the silence.

“I’m going to start cleaning up,” said Elena standing up.

“I’ll help,” said Damon and stood up. I could tell Stefan did not like this at all but didn’t want to seem overly rude in front of Elena. Plus he was engaged in some conversation with Caroline. I really tuned them out. Honestly I mostly kept an eye on Bonnie.

“I’m going to see if they need help,” said Bonnie eventually tired of being with us. Caroline still chatted on like she hadn’t spoken.

“That’s a really nice scarf,” said Stefan eyeing it around Caroline’s neck.

“Thank you. It’s new,” said Caroline, pleased with herself.

“Can I see it?” He moved closer to her along the couch. “I mean, would you mind taking it off?”

“Oh, I can’t,” said Caroline simply. I don’t know what Stefan was trying to do. It was obvious it was there because Damon bit her.

“Why not?” asked Stefan. “You okay?”

“Um, all I know is that I can’t take it off,” said Caroline sounding confused.

“What are you two kids talking about?” asked Damon entering the room.

“I was just commenting on her scarf,” said Stefan as Damon sat on the arm of the chair.

“Hey, you know,” said Damon to Caroline, “Elena and Bonnie are finishing up the dishes. Why don’t you go see if you can help?”

“Does it look like I do dishes?” asked Caroline laughing. She sent an amused look at Stefan and me.

“For me?” asked Damon trying again.

“Uh, I don’t think so,” she said after pretending to think it over for a moment. Sighing Damon took compulsion over her.

“Go see if Elena needs help in the kitchen.”

“You know, I’m going to go see if Elena needs some help in the kitchen,” said Caroline. Taking her mug she got up and left the room. They waited till she was gone before speaking.

“They are people, Damon,” said Stefan immediately. “She’s not a puppet. She doesn’t exist for your amusement, for you to feed on whenever you want to.”

“Sure she does. They all do. They’re whatever I want them to be. They’re mine for the taking.” I don’t know if Stefan noticed it but I could tell Damon was only saying it to rouse him.

“You’ve had your fun. You used Caroline, you got to me and Elena, good for you. Now it’s time for you to go,” said Stefan and I could hear the anger in his voice. “Both of you can leave.”

“That’s not a problem,” said Damon moving into the chair and closer to Stefan, “because I’ve been invited in. And I will come back tomorrow night and the following night. And I’ll do with your little cheerleader whatever I want to do because that is what is normal to me.” He laid a sympathetic hand on Stefan’s shoulder. He patted Stefan’s shoulder a couple times before standing up.

“You’re leaving?” I asked.

“It’s obvious I’m not wanted,” he said.

“Drive me home,” I said to Damon. “Please?” I added as an afterthought.

“Sure,” he said. “Although I’ll have to see if Caroline needs a ride.” The way he said it I could tell he wasn’t too thrilled about her. I wasn’t either.

Walking into the kitchen he asked if Caroline needed a ride. “No, I’ll get one with Bonnie. If that’s alright?” she asked turning to her.

“Yeah, I’ll take her home,” assured Bonnie. Damon and I left after that leaving Stefan and the girls alone.

Damon was silent as he drove down the road towards home. He seemed oddly thoughtful too. My curiosity peaked. “Damon,” I said getting his attention. He glanced over at me letting me know he had it. “What’s wrong?”

“What makes you think something’s wrong?” he asked.

“One, I’m a 163 years old. Two, the games you play, they may work with everyone else but I’m not fooled.”

“I don’t’ know what you’re talking about,” he said while pulling up to the Salvatore boarding house. He got out of the car and walked into the house before I could say anything else.

“Damon,” I said going after him. “Damon, I know you do.” He turned around and raised an eyebrow at me.

“You do not want to push me, Emma,” he warned.

“I think,” I said stepping closer to him. “I think you need to be pushed.” In a flash Damon had me pinned against the wall, his hand at my throat.

“What about you? What game are you playing?” he snarled.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I choked out. After a second of searching my face Damon released me and let me drop. I stood watching him, cautious of his next move. He turned and began to walk away, towards the stairs. “I’m sorry,” I said after him.

He paused in his steps and turned around. “Damon, I’m sorry,” I repeated.

“For what?” he asked.

“For everything.” Damon simply looked at me confused. I moved closer to him and stood in front of him. I debated on whether or not I should do something such as hug him or not. In the end I simply just walked past him and up to my room.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I want Emma to go to the football game that is tomorrow night but can't think of a good reason for her going there. Anyone have any ideas of possible motives she could have?