Cosmic Love

Dinner

“Elena, it’s so nice to see you again,” I said standing in her doorway. Stefan was standing beside me, an obvious unhappy look on his face.

“You too,” said Elena. “Come on in.” She stepped aside allowing room for me to go inside. Taking that fateful step over the threshold a small smile crossed my face. There was no going back now.

“What a lovely home you have, Elena,” I said to her once I was inside. I placed my jacket on the coat rack.

“Thank you,” she said smiling. I could see Stefan’s glare from behind her. “Dinner’s on the table.” She led us into the kitchen/dining area where her friend was putting the bowls on the table. “Emma, this is Bonnie,” said Elena.

“Hi,” said Bonnie and I could detect the nervousness in her voice. She sent a quick glance towards Stefan before sitting down. Elena sat at the head of the table while Stefan and I sat across from Bonnie. Quietly we all piled food on our plates and began eating.

“Did Tanner give you a hard time today?” asked Elena just to break the silence.

“Well, he let me on the team, so must’ve done something right,” said Stefan sending everyone a tight smile.

“You guys should have seen Stefan today,” Elena said turning to Bonnie and I. “Tyler threw a ball right at him an—”

“Yeah, I heard,” said Bonnie rudely interrupting Elena. I could tell she was tense and still nervous about being around Stefan. Awkwardly Elena took a sip from her drink. The rest of us just sat there, Bonnie playing with her food.

“Why don’t you tell Stefan and Emma about your family?” offered Elena to Bonnie. I put a spoonful of food into my mouth to keep from saying anything.

“Divorced. No mom, live with my dad,” she said keeping it as short as possible.

“No, about the witches,” said Elena. Immediately I choked on my food and quickly took a sip from my drink to force it down.

“I’m fine,” I said to assure Elena and Bonnie. Stefan just gave me a look that said ‘don’t give anything away.’

“Bonnie’s family has a lineage of witches, it’s really cool,” said Elena giving Bonnie a pointed look. It was obvious she was trying to get her engaged in conversation.

“Cool isn’t the word I’d use,” said Bonnie shaking her head.

“Well, it’s certainly interesting,” said Stefan moving to help Elena. “I’m not too versed, but I do know that there’s a history of Celtic druids that migrated here in the 1800s.”

“My family came here by way of Salem,” stated Bonnie. I felt myself freeze and my blood run cold.

“Really?” asked Stefan with surprise. He shot a quick glance at me. “Salem witches?”

“Yeah,” admitted Bonnie looking embarrassed. I was frozen in my seat.

“I’d say that’s pretty cool,” said Stefan looking at Elena. He deliberately avoided my gaze.

“Really?” asked Bonnie. “Why?” She seemed like she couldn’t imagine why something like that would be cool.

“Salem witches are heroic examples of individualism and nonconformity.”

“Yeah they are,” agreed Bonnie, nodding her head. I rolled my eyes. I could tell he was going to win her over now. Before anyone else could say anything the doorbell rang.

“I wonder who that could be,” said Elena getting up to answer the door.

“Surprise!” I heard a high-pitched girly voice say once she opened it. “Bonnie said you were doing dinner so we brought dessert.”

“Oh,” said Elena. She didn’t know what to really say.

“Hope you don’t mind,” I heard Damon say. Stefan’s head shot up and he tensed in his seat. He got up and moved towards the door, every muscle poised to go into action. I heard high heeled shoes click as they walked down the wooden floor, entering the house.

“What are you doing here?” Stefan asked as he reached the door.

“Waiting for Elena to invite me in,” said Damon.

“I’m going to go to the bathroom,” said Bonnie, exiting quickly to avoid the awkward silence. I went back to listening in on the conversation.

“Yeah, you c—”

“No, no, no,” said Stefan cutting her off. “He-he can’t, um, he can’t stay. Can you, Damon?” asked Stefan.

“Get in here,” I heard the annoying voice say again.

“We’re just finishing up,” said Stefan as a lame excuse. He’d do anything to keep his brother out.

“It’s fine,” Elena said. “Just come on in.” My head perked up and I tensed waiting for Damon to enter. I heard the sound of his boots enter the house and I felt myself become nervous. I was nervous for Elena. She was sweet girl and if she was a Gilbert, she was family.

“You have a beautiful home, Elena,” said Damon.

“Thank you,” said Elena.