Sequel: When You Love Someone
Status: Finished. Go check out the sequel.

So Wrong, It's Right.

Reaching As I Fall

"You okay, Lanie?" The teen looked away from the clock ticking on the wall to meet the eyes of her teacher who stood in front of his class, all of them looking at Lanie with concern. It was then that she noticed she was shaking. Her body shook with nerves, her eyes almost welling up in tears.

"I'm fine." She forced herself to smile at Mr. Gaskarth who although he didn't buy the smile for once second, smiled back and turned back to the rest of the class, continuing with his lecture while Lanie took deep breaths in hopes to calm herself.

She and Alex would be leaving as soon as the bell rang, going to meet with Macii, her social worker, who would send her to her new foster family. She was missing band for this, she would give anything to put off the meeting but there was no way of that. It just sucked that the day she was to find out who was taking her away from Alex was also her birthday. As she walked down the halls today, everyone wished her happy birthday but all she could do was force a small smile before walking away. Even when Alex woke her up this morning with breakfast in bed, she almost started crying, knowing that their days of waking up together were numbered, this might in fact be their last day together in the same household, they weren't sure what would be happening at the meeting this afternoon.

When the bell rang, Lanie felt her heart drop. She didn't want to do this, she couldn't, she wouldn't.

She stayed seated as the rest of the class filed out, joking around, chatting, going about their normal simple lives while Lanie broke to pieces in her chair. Matt came up behind her, leaning down to wrap his arms around her shoulders and press his face into her hair. She put her hands on top of his and began to cry.

"I can't do it, Matt. I don't want to go live with some foster family who I don't even know." Matt let her go and turned her in her chair, kneeling down in front of her, taking both of her hands in his, both of them staring into the others eyes.

"Lanie, I know that this is hard, I was in this same exact position, apart from the whole living with my teacher who I was in love with thing, but I know how scary it is to be going to live with a family you don't know a single thing about or joining a family that you had never met. You can do it though, if I can do it, you can too. You are ten times stronger than me. I just lost one parent and it was hard, you lost both of them at the exact same time but you were still strong and held it together for the most part, much better than I handled loosing my mom. I believe in you, baby, I know you can do it and I'll be beside you every second of the way." Matt's words brought a small watery smile to Lanie's face.

"Thank you, Matty." Alex, who stood at his desk, glared at Matt as he reached up and kissed her cheek, leaving his lips on hers for just a little too long.

"Come on, I'll walk you to the car." He stood up and took her bag from the desk, swinging it over his shoulder along with his own.

"Shouldn't you get to class?" Alex asked, walking up to them. Jake stood up from his own seat and stood silently beside them all.

"I can be late, my teacher won't mind. Come on, Lanie." Matt took Lanie's hand and began to pull her from the room as she smiled sadly at Alex who knew he couldn't do anything here so he just followed, Jake falling into step beside him.

"Should I be worried about him? He's not going to like steal her from me, is he?" Alex questioned Jake as they watched the two of them swing their linked hands in between them and her giggle at something Matt had said.

"No, Alex, you shouldn't. She loves you, you don't have to worry." Alex, though not really reassured, nodded anyway as they approached the car where Matt and Lanie were standing, hands still linked and smiling at each other.

"Shall we get going then?" Alex wondered, unlocking his car. Matt pulled Lanie to the passenger side door and opened it for her. She smiled and got in as Alex got in behind the wheel.

"Call me after the meeting, okay?" Lanie nodded at Matt and allowed him to kiss her cheek before allowing Jake to do the same before Matt closed the door as Alex started the car. She smiled at her two best friends as they drove off.

They were both silent as Alex drove. Alex was still mad about everything with Matt, jealousy pumped through his veins, and Lanie was lost in thought once more about the meeting about to come.

As Alex found a parking space, Lanie began to shake once more.

"Let's go." Alex said, opening his car door. He turned around to see her curled up in a ball, her face buried in her knees as she cried and her whole body shook. He sighed, all of his previous anger and jealousy flowing out of his body to be replaced with heart breaking sadness. He closed his door and reached his hands over to her, pulling her over the center console and into his lap. She wrapped her arms around his shoulders and buried her face in his neck.

"Don't make me go in there, Alex. I can't. I can't leave you. I want to stay with you." She sobbed, clutching at him tighter.

"I know you don't want to go, baby, I know. I want you to stay with me too, so badly, but you can't. I've tried to get them to let me stay with you, but they won't. Everything will be fine though, baby, we will still be able to see each other and when you finish high school, you can move back in with me." He said, trying to be optimistic.

"That's over a year away, Alex." He sighed and rubbed her back.

"Everything is going to be okay, Lanie. I promise. Now, we have to go in there. I know you don't want to, but we have to." She sighed and pulled away from his neck, leaning up against the steering wheel.

"I wish I was older." He smiled and brought his hand up to wipe the tears from her cheeks.

"I know you do, babe." She smiled and leaned forward, pressing her forehead to his.

"I love you, Alex." She whispered, closing her eyes.

"I love you, too." He turned his head and connected their lips in a soft kiss before pulling back. "Let's go, sweetheart." He opened the door and allowed her to crawl off his lap and get out before he followed. He had to resist the urge to hold her hand as they walked inside the building, being greeted by Macii's bright smile as soon as the door shut behind them.

"Well hello!" She greeted, making Lanie and Alex force a smile at her. "Shall we get started?" They nodded so she led the way back to her office. Lanie gulped and held back the tears, ready to face her future. She just wished it involved living with the man who had completely stolen her heart. It seemed that the world was determined to keep them apart..
♠ ♠ ♠
So I came up with an awesome idea for this story, such a plot twist. (: and it will make the story line way longer then I had originally planned, which originally it was going to be ending in like ten or so chapters, but with this new idea I have, there will be way more than that. (:

unless of course you guys are just sick of this story and want it over already, in which case... that sucks..
comment or else I will think you guys hate this story.