Sequel: Listen to the Thunder
Status: Complete =]

Don't Want to Start a Fight

Dio.

[Kyle]

“Dude, what time are the others getting here?” John groaned, tossing his bat onto the table.

It’s been a week since school cut out, and right now I’m hanging out at Pat and Tim’s house with them and John. I stayed over John’s last night so we came together. Normally John and I don’t hang out when he’s with Tim and I’m with Pat, but today seems to be an exception. Jack, Alex, Caleb and Zack will probably turn up at some point in the next few hours, so Pat and I are just killing time until they come.

“What, tired of Tim kicking your ass at ping pong?” I teased.

“He’s not kicking my ass!” John defended.

“You’re losing 9 games to 2,” Pat announced with a grin.

“Hell yeah!” Tim whooped, punching his fist in the air.

John opened and closed his mouth several times to retort, but eventually stopped and pouted. Tim, Pat and I looked at each before laughing loudly, John just pouting even more.

“Aww poor baby,” I giggled, beckoning my boyfriend over to me.

John smirked and moved to my side, swooping down to kiss me deeply. Tim and Pat groaned, only making me giggle and pull away. John sighed but pecked my lips once more before returning to his original spot across the table from Tim. I don’t like PDA and John knows it – doesn’t stop him though!

“What time are they getting here though?” John asked, picking up his bat again.

“Not sure really. I know Rian’s at work this morning, so Jack, Alex, Caleb and Zack are probably terrorizing him for a while until they get kicked out. So they should be over pretty soon,” I grinned.

My friends are such goofballs, but I love them no matter what! Especially Ja-

“WHAT’S UP MOTHERFUCKERS!”

I snapped out of my thoughts as my 4 friends burst into the living room, Alex on Jack’s back and Caleb on Zack’s.

“We totally won!” Alex cheered, jumping off Jack’s back.

“We’re the piggyback race champions,” Jack giggled, flopping down on the sofa next to me.

Jack kissed my cheek in greeting, as he always does, and I noticed John stiffen slightly out the corner of my eye, as he always does. I ignored my boyfriend, snuggling deeper into Jack. Jack’s been one of my best friends longer than John’s been my boyfriend, so John will just have to suck it up.

“Well if someone had actually put some effort in, we would’ve whooped your asses,” Caleb said sarcastically, jumping off Zack’s back.

“I already got a stack of paint cans falling on top of me thanks to you guys, I didn’t want to sweat when running with your ginger fat ass on me too,” Zack retorted playfully.

Zack picked Pat up off the settee and sat down, placing Pat on his lap.

“I like it when you sweat,” Pat grinned, curling up in Zack’s arms.

Zack smirked and pressed a gentle kiss to the corner of Pat’s jaw, everyone cheering but Tim, who groaned.

“It’s bad enough that you’re my baby brother, but you two aren’t even dating,” Tim said with a grimace.

“That’s because they enjoy fucking around as much as they like fucking each other,” Caleb said with a cheeky grin.

“Again, baby brother,” Tim grunted.

“Let’s change the subject. How did you get kicked out of Rian’s work this time?” I laughed, turning to face Jack.

“Well, we were jumping around like usual and knocking over stuff, but Caleb and Alex pushed over an entire display of paint onto Zack. Luckily none of the cans burst open, but the manager still didn’t like that and made us leave,” Jack explained, grinning madly.

“One day you’re going to make Rian lose his job,” John mused, although it still had a serious undertone.

We all fought the urge to roll our eyes. Jack, Alex and Caleb are always going to cause trouble wherever they go, dragging Zack with them – and nothing’s going to change that. So why worry about it? Rian doesn’t care, so neither should John!

“Ah put a sock in it, John Oh!” Alex jeered.

“Make yourself useful and help me start the barbecue,” Tim laughed, nudging John.

John chuckled and followed his best friend outside, leaving us alone. Jack immediately pulled me into his lap, letting me curl up in his lap like Pat was curled up on Zack. Mm, that's better.

“Alright, food!” Caleb cheered, high fiving Alex.

I giggled and played with them of Jack’s shirt.

“Your mom’s changed the fabric softener,” I commented.

“What?” Jack laughed, everyone else laughing too.

“Your clothes used to smell of Jasmine…now they smell of…orange blossom,” I told him, smiling as I looked up.

Everyone laughed even harder, Jack lifted his shirt and smelling it.

“Huh, I guess you’re right. I’ll tell her you noticed,” Jack grinned.

“I do love Momma Barakat,” I nodded, burying my head in the crook of his neck, “are you staying tonight?”

“Yeah, Pat’s making blueberry waffles in the morning,” Jack nodded.

“Of course, the food is the only reason,” I teased.

“Well your beautiful company is a bonus,” Jack murmured.

I giggled, holding onto him tighter. Jack chuckled and pecked the top of my head, holding me tighter in return. I love being in Jack’s arms. He just makes me feel so warm, so complete, much more than anyone ever has. Much more than John ever has. No, I shouldn’t think like that. John’s an amazing, faithful, loving, albeit easily jealous boyfriend. And I would never betray him like that. But there’s just something about Jack that I can’t help but love. He’s so carefree and pure-hearted, and he never ever lets anyone down if they need him. Jack knows just what to say to make every problem disappear along with a warm smile. It doesn't help that he's absolutely gorgeous either. Jack’s perfect.

And I can never have him.

Apart from the fact I’m with John, Jack doesn’t like me like that. Sure, we’re affectionate to each other, and I nearly always sit in his arms, he’s just as affectionate to Alex. And Zack when Zack’s not with Pat. Sometimes even Caleb. But it’s nothing more than friendship. It kills me that Jack doesn’t love me like I love him, it really does. Yeah, I said love. Ever since I met Jack I liked him, and about half way through Sophomore year I realized just how deep my feelings were. Unfortunately I never got the courage to tell Jack how I feel.

Caleb’s the only one that knows, and he’s promised to take my secret to the grave, even though he’s Jack’s neighbor. I didn’t even want to tell anyone, but Caleb slept over one night and we got really really drunk, and as soon as Jack’s name came up in conversation I spilled my heart. Caleb confronted me the next morning and I burst into tears, making Caleb realize just how serious I was. I trust Caleb with my life, so I know Jack won’t find out through him. Jack will never find out.

“Hey, what’s wrong?”

I jumped slightly at the sound of Jack’s voice, blushing as I broke out of my thoughts.

“Are you okay? You totally spaced,” Jack chuckled.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to,” I apologized, biting my lip as I looked up at him.

“Well I’m not going to hold it against you. You’re too cute for that,” Jack murmured.

I blushed even deeper, hiding my face in his neck. I love hate it when Jack’s says stuff like that. He doesn’t mean it in the way I want him to. Someone cleared their throat, making me look away from Jack, only to see John leaning against the doorframe.

“Hotdogs aren’t quite done yet but burgers are ready though,” John announced to everyone.

“BURGERS! Is there cheese to go on top?” Alex asked excitedly.

“Duh,” John grinned.

We all made our way into the garden after that, John sliding his arm around my waist once we’d got a burger each.

“What was that back in the living room?” John asked, raising an eyebrow.

He meant how I was blushing with Jack. Gah.

“I was daydreaming and Jack called me out on it,” I shrugged.

“Good,” John nodded, taking a bite of his burger.

“Jealous ass,” I grumbled under my breath.

“Why would I want anyone else thinking about, looking at, or touching you?” John whispered in my ear, smirking.

I-uh, didn’t mean for him to hear that! Blushing, I leant my head up, kissing John’s lips lightly in apology. John smiled as I took a bite of my burger, kissing the side of my head. John has sinful lips, that’s for sure. Just a simple touch from his lips to my skin sends a jolt of electricity through me. It’s addictive and he knows it. But I love that. John’s so confident and he has such a beautiful aura that I wouldn’t ever pass on a spending a day alone with him. And he’s an incredible lover too. Just thinking about his hands running against my bare body and his intense eyes boring into mine, and his skinny hips snapping against my hips, our skin slick with sweat makes my blood rush south. Shit.

“Baby, you’re tensing up. Is something wrong or are you just horny?” John whispered.

I squeaked, wordlessly confirming the latter. John smirked again and started whispering hot and dirty words into my ear, causing me to blush deeper than I had all day. Then I caught eyes with Jack across the backyard. Confusion flooded my body when a look of hurt spread across Jack’s face, but as quickly as it was there, it was gone again. He smiled briefly at me, before turning back to talk to Alex, leaving me with John’s seductive voice.

My name’s Kyle Burns, and I am hopelessly in love with one of my best friends, Jack Barakat. I’m royally screwed.
♠ ♠ ♠
And this was Kyle's introduction of sorts.
So Kyle has hidden feelings too, as well as guilt for John's ignorance.
Ah, such complications =]

I love this story already - I literally get so excited every time I update it!

And thanks for the comments, I really appreciate them. Keep them coming?
xo