Sequel: Listen to the Thunder
Status: Complete =]

Don't Want to Start a Fight

Tria.

I stirred from my sleep at the sound of something crashing, followed by someone cursing. What the fuck happened last night? And where the fuck am I? I should explain. Yesterday’s casual barbecue turned into heavy drinking games, and I didn’t do well in any of them. Any second now my head should start throbbing. Aaaaaaaand…there we go. With a groan I hoisted myself up. Looks like I’m on the floor! Wonderful. I groaned as I felt a weight on me, frowning at the sight of Caleb’s torso laying over my thighs. What the fuck?! I pushed him off me, causing him to wake up with a groan too.

“What the fuck man?” Caleb hissed, covering his eyes to shield them from the sunlight that streamed into the room. The living room. Why are we in here?

“You’re my ride home. So get up and sober up,” I shrugged.

Well that was a smooth enough lie to cover ‘you’re on my legs and you’re squishing me so I pushed you off’, isn’t it! Caleb just nodded and yawned loudly, stumbling up from the floor and out the room. I’m assuming he’s going to the bathroom. As I stood up, I took the time to look around the room. Just to see if anyone else is in here, y’know. Turns out everyone is in here. Well, everyone but Kyle. Even John’s in here…which must mean that Kyle’s the one that woke me up! To the kitchen!

I quietly walked into the adjoining room, smiling at the messy haired blonde boy that stood in front of the coffee machine, frowning heavily at it.

“You okay there?” I asked, making him jump.

“Shit Jack, you scared me! I didn’t think anyone else was awake,” Kyle gasped, blushing slightly.

“I wasn’t until I heard a crash and then a curse. I’m assuming that was you?” I mused, hopping up on the counter next to him.

“I woke you? I’m really sorry, Jacky!” Kyle whimpered.

I immediately frowned – it’s not like I’m having a go at him about it!

“Don’t worry, seriously. I need to get up anyway – I’m helping my mom around the house today,” I shrugged.

“If you’re sure,” Kyle said quietly.

“Of course I am! Now, what’s got you so flustered?” I asked cheerfully.

If only it was me.

“I’m pretty sure I broke the coffee machine,” Kyle mumbled.

“What do you mean?” I chuckled.

“I-It won’t turn on,” Kyle told me, biting his bottom lip.

I looked at it for a few seconds, before grinning and jumping off the counter. Kyle looked a bit confused as I leant down towards him, but I did it anyway.

“It might help if you turn it on at the wall plug,” I whispered in his ear.

Kyle squeaked in embarrassment, so I moved away, laughing hard. As I switched it on, he blushed deeply, burying his face in the crook of my neck. Inhaling sharply, I wrapped my arms around him, taking advantage of the fact that no-one else is up. I don’t get much of a chance to do this when John is conscious, after all. When the coffee had brewed, the machine beeping twice to let us know it was ready, I could’ve sworn I felt Kyle press the softest of all kisses to the base of my neck as he moved to reach for a mug. I swear this happened because my skin wouldn’t have tingled all over otherwise. Fuck, how can he affect me in such simple ways? How is this even fair?!

“So how was everyone when you woke up?” Kyle asked casually, handing me a mug of black coffee.

I took a sip before I answered, savoring the caffeine that ran down my throat, soothing it. Mm.

“Well, John was in the love-seat, Tim was face down on the floor next to him, Pat was next to Tim but had Zack spooning him, Alex had his face in Rian’s crotch on the sofa, which I’m pretty sure was done as a prank by Caleb, who had his torso over my thighs where we were on the floor in front of the sofa,” I rambled, going around the room in my mind.

“Damn, Ri-Ri and Lexi-Poo are going to be pissed. Did you take a photo?” Kyle grinned.

I chuckled, shaking my head. I wish I had taken a photo – this could be blackmail for years!

“That’s a shame,” Kyle pouted.

“Aww don’t pout, you know I don’t like it when you pout,” I whined.

“Because you’re powerless against doing anything I ask for?” Kyle asked innocently.

Uh, come on Jack, think of a cover-up! What Kyle said was the damn truth, but he can’t know that!

“Well anyone’s pout gets me really. Yours, Lex’s, Pat’s…” I trailed off, looking away as I bit my lip.

Out the corner of my eye I saw his shoulders hunch a little. Fuck, I probably hurt his feelings. With a sigh I opened my arms, smiling as he instantly gave me a tight hug, letting me know that he wasn’t really upset. Thank fuck for that!

“Morning baby. Morning Jack,”

I gritted my teeth as John walked into the room, Kyle immediately moving out of my arms to go into John’s. I miss his warm body already. As John pressed a slow kiss to Kyle’s lips, completely ignoring the fact that I was still in the room, I wanted to throw myself off a tower. What I wouldn’t give to be able to kiss Kyle like that!

But Kyle broke away with a grimace. What?

“Morning breath,” Kyle winced.

“Well if you hold your breath you won’t taste it,” John shrugged, leaning down again.

I fought not to let me jaw drop at John’s words. If Kyle told me that I had morning breath when we were kissing, I’d immediately go to brush my teeth, gargle mouthwash and chew gum! Kyle just shook his head and ducked under John’s arm, returning to stand next to me. I averted my eyes as John raised an eyebrow, but smiled to myself when he said nothing. Well that saved a lot of drama!

“Yo Jack, I’m ready to go,” Caleb yawned, appearing in the doorway.

“Y-You’re going already?” Kyle said, confused.

“Yeah, I told you I’m helping my mom out today,” I nodded, placing my coffee mug on the side.

“Oh. Yeah,” Kyle said with a weak smile.

I frowned but said nothing at his strange behavior. He knows how important spending time with my family is to me, so why does he question it now? Maybe it’s just the hangover that’s making Kyle act weird. Yeah, that’s what it is. I hugged Kyle goodbye, kissing his cheek, and gave John a man-hug before leaving the kitchen with Caleb. I glanced once more over my shoulder before I left the house completely, and I immediately wished I hadn’t. John had Kyle pushed up against the kitchen counter and was kissing down his neck, Kyle biting his bottom lip with his head thrown back. A pang of hurt ran through me, even though I know I have no say whatsoever in who Kyle kisses, and all of a sudden I couldn’t get out of the house quick enough.

“Are you okay, man? You’re acting weird this morning,” Caleb frowned, unlocking his car.

“What? Nah, I’m fine. Headache, that’s all,” I replied with a weak smile.

“Alright, if you say so,” Caleb chuckled.

I wish I didn’t have to lie all the time. I wish I could tell everyone the truth. But I can’t – it would ruin everything I have of friendship with Kyle. And I’m not willing to lose that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alrighty, so just a little bit more on how each of them are wistful around each other!
The next one involves a party, someone avoiding someone, and confusion...

Wow, 47 subscribers already? Could a few more of you leave a comment with feedback so I know what you think of the story so far?

Thanks to the following for commenting on the last chapter:
IntentToStartAFire
GlitterNinja
Lizziemcgenius
Kaybeanna

xo