Status: Completed

The Balcony Scene

Chapter 8

I pressed my ear to the door, Mike and Vic had been talking for a while.

"Vic, I really love her," Mike whined. I heard Vic groan,

"Mike, we're in love, I would marry her right now if I could," Vic said harshly.

"Vic have you ever heard me say I loved ANYONE?" Mike said groaning loudly

"What about Holly Marshall?" Vic said I could just imagine him rolling his big eyes.

"You said you wouldn’t bring it up you little bitch?" Mike slurred.

"Well that was before you fell in love with my girlfriend, my one love," Vic retorted his voice cracking as he shouted out the last part,

"Well I love her, and I would do anything to have her," I heard Mike growl then I heard his footsteps coming towards the door quickly. I darted back to bench on the van

"Oh, Cherrie I didn’t know you were back," Vic said his face showed his guilt he slid beside me.

"Did you hear all of that?" he said all raspy like grabbing his glass out of a cup holder. I nodded, laying my head on his shoulder. It was about then when Mike rushed past slamming his fist into the wall, his eyes glared angrily at me.

"Vic, I'm worried," I admitted looking to make sure Mike was out of sounds reach.

"Why Hon?" Vic said putting his arm around me and pulling my head to his boney chest.

"Mike said he'd do anything to get me…" I quoted Vic looked shocked I didn’t tell him that I was eavesdropping outside the door.

"Well, don't worry. Mike won't be sober for a while and when he is I have ways of protecting myself," Vic assured me with a full smile I didn’t smile back. I didn't believe that he could protect himself the scar residing on his stomach was proof. I laid my hand across the scar and Vic grimaced moving my hand.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled looking down in shame. I leaned down and kissed the scar lightly.

"Is that better?" I cooed sitting back up to kiss his lips they were warm as was his whole face.

"Did Mike really make you that mad?" I asked him placing my hands on his flaming hot cheeks. He tried to deny his anger, but it wasn't working I knew he was angry. Eventually he stopped explaining and answered my question with a quiet, subtle

"Yes, yes he did," I nodded sympathetically and nuzzled his neck. I would take advantage of his warmth for now. I wrapped my arms around him and began to mumble the lyrics to his song, twisting his hair around my pinky.

"You should sing louder," he said randomly. I looked into his eyes

"Why?" I mumbled letting his hair fall from my finger.

"I love your voice," he said kissing my head I smiled.

"Here, I'll sing with you, pick the song," he said pulling his guitar out of his case.

"’Caraphernelia’ is my favorite," I said quietly pulling my knees to my chest; he began to sing quietly urging me to join in quietly. I began to sing slowly the sound getting louder until Vic had stopped and was looking at me with his jaw wide open until eventually I realized he'd stopped playing completely.

"What?" I said opening my eyes and looking at him. He clapped, smiling widely at me.

"Thanks," I said shyly clearing my throat.

"Vic, I'm sorry," I heard from behind me I turned to see Mike with a cigarette dangling from his lips. Mike walked to the empty booth and sat down. He looked down, picking at his fingernail,

"Mike, I shouldn’t have raised my voice at you," Vic said calmly Mike nodded,

"I..." he stopped glancing at me then closed his mouth. He sipped at a soda quietly sulking down into his seat. I eyed him nervously and occasionally he'd glance up with a stare filled with hopelessness.

"Did you ever find that Advil?" Vic blurted breaking the silence. Mike just shook his head no, sulking further to the point where I thought he'd fall into the floor.

"I'm going to bed," Mike finally said pulling himself up off the bench, and unsteadily wobbling down the walkway and laying down on the small cot. I watched as his eyes slowly shut and he began to snore breathily, he was out like a light. I yawned, suggesting that Vic and I walk hand in hand to the bedroom.

"Vic," I said with a slightly embarrassed tint in my voice.

"Yes, sweetie?" he said sweetly hugging me.

"I don't want to be a virgin anymore," I murmured wanting to fade away as soon as I said it

"Umm," Vic said backing up until he hit the bed he stroked his chin.

"I can't, not today," he said glancing around the small arrangement.

"Why?" I breathed sinking down onto the floor

"Not here in a....van its trashy," Vic said glancing around I smiled

"You're right," I said still a little embarrassed that I had asked in such a blunt way.

"It'll come in time, darling," he said stroking my hair and kissing my lips.

"Pinky swear?" I said feeling kind of childish for saying it. Vic looked deep into my eyes so deep I was sure he could see my soul.

"I pinky swear," he said locking his pinky around mine.