Status: Finished

This Is My Love

She Doesn't See What I See

"Come on, Pete, the party is in full swing!" I smiled at my best friend of 6 years as I tugged him towards the beach. It was the weekend before our high school graduation, and we were heading to a beach party that our fellow Seniors of our high school had thrown. He laughed at my sense of urgency as I dragged him onto the beach.
We pushed our way through the crowd of people, heading for the large fire that was burning in it's pit in the center of the beach. It was where all the coolers of alcohol were placed, and where our minds were set. When we finally made it to our destination, I let go of Pete's hand and swung open the lid to one of the many coolers.

"Light or lager?" I questioned my friend as I scanned over the bottles of beer. He stepped closer to me and glanced over my shoulder, examining the bottles for himself.
"It depends on what kind of beer," he replied as he continued to stare into the cooler. I grunted at his response.

"I forgot you were such a picky little bitch," I laughed jokingly as I simply grabbed two lagers and slammed the cooler lid shut before turning to hand him one of the beers. He rolled his eyes as he flashed his pearly whites at my teasing and grabbed the beer from my hand. I twisted the cap off of the bottle and waited for him to do the same. Once his was off, we lifted our bottles up to toast.

"To new beginnings, many changes, and going through them together," I spoke my toast happily as I clinked my bottle against his and took a large swig. I expected him to do the same, but he didn't. A sad look came across his face as his eyes drifted down to the sand and he held his bottle against his chest, seemingly in deep thought to himself. I pulled my cold bottle from my lips and gave him a questioning gaze.

"What's wrong, Bruno?" I asked him, using the playful nickname I had given him years ago and use on occasion. He snapped himself out of his thoughts at my question and returned his eyes to me. He quickly put on an obviously fake smile and shook his head.

"I'm sorry, it's nothing. I was just thinking," he stated before putting his beer to his lips and taking a gulp. I stared at him for a moment, silently letting him know I wasn't convinced but that I'd drop it anyway.

"Alright," I spoke slowly, not assured the least bit, before taking another couple gulps of my drink. Just then, one of the girls from our school walked up to us and threw her hands in the air.

"Peter! Hi!" she practically squealed at him before throwing her arms around his neck in an attempt to hug him. I could see the surprise on his face, but he loosely wrapped his arms around her in a half ass hug. I rolled my eyes at the girl. Her name was Vicky Livings, and she has had some sort of crush on Peter since 10th grade. Peter knew this, since she's made it pretty obvious in the hopes he'd catch on and ask her out, but he never did. Of course, being the "popular" girl at our school, she was used to getting the guys that she wanted, and the fact that she couldn't get him only made her pursue him harder.
And, of course, making her hate me. His best friend and, unbeknown to me at the time, the girl he loved more than the anything since he was 13.

Once she let go of him, she turned to me and gave me an evil smile.
"Hey, Ano." Her voice was obviously snide, but she always tried so hard to seem like she actually enjoyed my company whenever we were around Pete. But when he wasn't around, it was a whole different story. She was such a bitch, always telling me how he probably only pretends to be my friend because he was a nice guy, and that one day he'd ditch me to be with her. I only laughed at her ignorance, because little did she know, it was the other way around.
He only tolerated her because he was a nice guy. A really nice guy. And that at the moment, while she was playing her nice girl act with me, he was standing behind her, cringing and silently wishing she would go away.

After finishing her (bad) acting with me, she turned back to Peter. "So, do you want to like, dance or something?" she asked hopefully, her bubbly blond girl voice once again in tact. But, Peter shook his head at the girl.

"No, I'm sorry Vicky, but I was going to dance with Ano." He looked from her to me, and flashed me one of his beautiful smiles. I had to quickly place my beer bottle up to my lips and drink to stop myself from laughing at the sight of her disappointment. But, I couldn't hide the amused smile that appeared on my face after the bottle was removed. She glared back at me for a moment and caught sight of my amused look. After that, she decided to give up the friend act she had with me, but I never participated in, before she turned back to Pete.

"Come on, Hernandez," she started, using his last name as a title and grabbing his hand. "Ditch this loser and get with a real woman." She smiled at him seductively as she took a step towards him, making their bodies only inches apart. That was the last straw for Pete. No one was going to mess with me in any way and get away with it. If she was a man, he would have punched her directly in the jaw. But, since she was a woman, and he never hit a woman, he would simply have to hurt her in a different way.

So, he pulled himself away from her and snatched his hand away before wiping it on his jeans, showing disgust with touching her. This alone brought a look of shock on her face, but little did she know, this was only the beginning.

"A real woman? More like a real slut!" Now, the people around us were staring in amusement and a level of shock of their own. "Ano is more woman that you'll ever be! Not to mention, she's nice, smart, and pretty, all of which you're not. I've pretended to tolerate you since the tenth grade, but I'm done. Vicky, you're a whore, and I'm not going to date you. Go fuck someone who has already caught one of your probable STDs!" he hollered out his choice of words before starting to walk past her, but he stopped and turned to her again.

"Or better yet, go fuck yourself," he stated, causing the crowd to erupt in cheer and laughter. He grabbed my hand and led me away. I looked over my shoulder to the girl, who looked to be shocked, angry, and sad all at the same time as she stomped through the crowd in the opposite direction we were heading. I smiled, extremely pleased with my best friends success in ridding himself of that evil whore, before facing front again.

People patted Pete on the back and shouted out praise as we made our way through them, but he hardly acknowledged them .

"Thank you, Bruno," I spoke my gratefulness just loud enough for him to hear it. He only smiled sweetly over to me and gently squeezed my hand once before directing his concentration back onto our escape.

I felt happiness running through my veins as the love for him I've had since we were 15 grew a little bit more. But, it quickly faded away when I remembered that he'd probably never love me back. Not that kind of love, anyway.
I knew he loved me, but I thought he'd always just love me as "Ano, his best friend".

Little did I know that I was soon going to find out that I had been wrong.
Boy, had I been wrong.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it so far! I had seen that the only Bruno Mars fan fics were one shots, and as much as they were wonderful one shots, it disappointed me, since I know that like many of you, I LOVE Bruno Mars. So, I decided to write my own, because even though I know that I don't need anymore stories to keep up with, I really enjoy writing about the men that I love, and I really love him! Hahaha.

Anyway, if you didn't realize it, this chapter and probably another after this is set back when they were in high school. It will be written this way until around the time that he leaves or something, and then will start to be written in present day. Or at least, that's what I'm thinking, but I never have a set plot or plan when I write, so, I may change my mind and have a completely different outcome.
Either way, I hope you enjoy it!

Comments, subscriptions, etc. will be DEEPLY appreciated. I love them so much! So, please tell me what you think so far, and if you think I should keep writing this story.
Of course, even if you tell me to stop, I will probably keep writing, because I am already in love with writing this story, which is a really good sign for me! Hahah. I might even update again tonight, but it all depends on a few things. =]

You're all loved by,
-Kate.

Post Script.
(Sorry, I know this author's note is long enough already, but...)
Is there anyone reading that could make me a legit banner for this story? And maybe tell me how to make it part of the layout or however you guys do it. I never learned how and really want to know, since I've just been putting any banners into the chapter itself, which I know isn't allowed. I'd be really grateful!