‹ Prequel: Secrets Will Kill You
Sequel: Killing Me Slowly

Secrets Will Kill You The Sequel

Exile On Main Street Part 2

Dean’s POV

I watched Mel, through the window, walk out to the van, get in and drive off. The van didn’t suit her at all. She missed her bike and her truck…hell I missed seeing her ride her bike and her truck.

“So…you and Mel been going on for how long, now?” Sid asked.

“No, man. You cant get with my girlfriend” I joked.

He made a face and scoffed. “Man, not what I was talking about…just curious…”

I rolled my eyes but he still waited for an answer. “We’ve known each other ever since we were little…we just started dating about three or four years ago and we’ve been on and off…” I shrugged.

“You think she could be the one?”

“Yea…yea I do” I said, honestly, without a doubt in my mind.

I didn’t have to think about it. I knew I wanted Mel to be the one, I knew I wanted it to be her and only her for the rest of my life…is that so crazy for me to say?

My POV

I spent a few minutes just sitting there, on the side of the road. I wanted Dean to see that I drove away so he wouldn’t get worried if he just saw me sitting there in front of the bar, not moving. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t drunk and my stomach started acting up again. I took slow, deep breaths and when I looked at the clock again, I realized I was sitting there for another 45 minutes. I sighed and got ready to start up the van again but then I turned to see Dean go walking to his truck. I hid my face but at the same time, I watched him…but then, he jumped slightly and looked around. Then, he grabbed a flashlight and I saw him hide a gun under her jacket and headed down the sidewalk, down an alley and into a building. I was worried about what he was up to, yea, but I had to trust he knew what he was doing and think about how he thinks I’m home right now and if I really was home, then I wouldn’t be here to witness this so I wouldn’t be able to do anything about it anyway…does that make sense?

Either way, I started up the van and just headed home. I stayed quiet as all the lights were off and I headed upstairs to change into my pajamas and I threw my hair up into a high pony tail. I paced a little around the room and tried to read my book a little. Even if I wasn’t worried, I’d still be pacing because there was no way I could go to sleep without Dean beside me…this past year, I never, once, went to sleep without Dean. Then, I heard him walk in the front door. I snuck down the hallway and got down on all fours to be more quiet and I saw him put his jacket on the coat hanger by the door and he locked it. He took off his shoes and started heading up toward me. I raced back to the room, got under the blanket and shut my eyes. I listened as he walked in and shed his clothes around the room to change into his own pajamas and then he walked back out. I waited a few minutes before getting up and sneaking back down the hallway. I listened to Dean go onto the laptop in the dining room and he called someone.

“…and no one's called about a missing person? No, this would have been today. So no reports of anything around Vineland and Oak street, near that hotel renovation? Uh, call it a hunch. I've been a cop for a long time…”

“What are we sneaking around for?” Jesse popped up behind me.

I jumped slightly. “Jesse, don’t sneak up on me, like that…and I’m not sneaking around, I’m simply just spying on your dad…”

“That’s the same thing…”

“No. It’s different…go back to bed” I smiled at him. “Alright” he sang quietly and stood to his feet and walked back to his room.

I stood to my feet as well and made my way down the stairs as I pretended to be tired. His eyes went up to meet my face and then back to the laptop. “Okay, yeah. No, I'll call you tomorrow. You too, man. Bye” he said into the phone and I analyzed his fingers on the mouse pad and I noticed he closed out of a window.

“Hey…who was that?” I asked.

“Sid. Just setting up a poker game” he lied.

“It's 11:30” I noted.

“Is it really? Well, that explains why he was asleep when I called” he tried and smiled lightly at me. "I'll be right up”

“Okay…but first…” I said and quickly rushed into the kitchen, took out a slice of my lemon pie that was already set for Dean and I rushed back to him with a fork.

He laughed and gave me a look as I sat on his lap. “Mel, I’m kind of too tired to try another one of your…delicious pies…”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “Come on. I’m sure that this is the one”

“That’s what you said about the last six” he reminded.

I scooped some onto the fork and set the plate down on the table. “Please?” I begged.

He opened his mouth to object again but then I just gave him my signature stare and I knew he was about to agree but I shoved the fork into his open mouth anyway. He started to chew and I anticipated his reaction.

“Mel…” He licked his lips. “This…is the best pie I have ever tasted” he said.

“Really?” I asked, excitedly.

“Really. You did it” he smiled and kissed me. “You’re coming to bed, now, right?” I asked, playing with some of his hair on the back of his head.

“Yea…first, I just want to finish this piece of pie and then I’ll head on up”

“Okay” I kissed his head and then headed on up. I’m sure if whatever he was looking into was really important then he would let me know….

~~~~

The next day, I got Jesse to school on time and I managed to skip out on today’s meeting. Do those moms ever take a break? While Maya kept me company on the couch, I got some reading done at home while Dean, Chris and Abbey were all out at work. When I finished the book, I started getting restless but then Jesse and Abbey came walking through the door.

“Jesse! Abbey!” I cheered. “Hey, I picked up Jesse since it was on my way” she shrugged. “That’s fine…lets do something” I suggested, excitedly.

“Bored again, Mel?” he laughed. “You have no idea” I sighed.

“I’d love to do something with you right now but I have to do homework”

“Yea, I guess school is important…”

“Mel” Abbey scolded, but laughed. “I’m just kidding. Okay, go do your homework” I said and he ran off to the kitchen.

I put my hands on my hips and looked at Abbey. “Mel, you could always get a job” she said to me.

“But, then who would be here for Jesse? You finally have a full time job that you love, I couldn’t just ask you or Chris to stay home and Dean’s the one that got the job first so he cant quit if we plan on paying our half of the rent…and don’t even say that we don’t have to” I sighed. “I’m gonna go for a jog” I said and went upstairs.

I changed into shorts and a tank top and Maya and I went for a jog. Like I said before…I love running, now. It helps me clear my head and not have to sit in silence to think. Maya and I went around the block a few times and then we passed by a very confused Sid who was also out for a jog.

“You okay, Sid?”

“Yea, I just saw your guy almost shoot the Glickman’s dog…”

“Oh, really?” I inquired.

“Yea…said he thought it was a possum. I know about you two doing the whole pest control thing but I didn’t know possums were considered pests with rabies, really…”

“Oh. Oh yea. Possum with rabies…not good stuff…but uhhh…I should go make sure he’s not going crazy, looking for more possum with rabies. He’s been out of work for a while so he still goes a little crazy sometimes…” I started to babble as I began to back up slowly.

“But uhh I’ll just see ya later Sid!” I yelled and then took off with Maya.

Once we got to the house, I slowed down and got her inside and then I heard some thumps and rustling coming from the garage in the backyard. “Dean?” I called out as I got closer. I wanted to let him get a head start to work on a story.

I opened the door and saw him in his toolbox. “Hey, there” I crossed my arms, leaning against the doorway. “Hey…just getting a hammer” he said, holding it up.

“Hmm…I just ran into Sid…did you almost shoot a Yorkie?” I narrowed my eyes at him as I coked an eyebrow.

“Umm…technically”

I sighed. “Dean. What’s going on?”

“Nothing” he said, trying to laugh it off like I was being paranoid.

“How come I don’t believe you?”

“I just…I uhh, I got this…I don’t know, spidey senses?” he stuck with, shrugging.

I gave him a look. “Dean…are you hunting something?” I asked and I admit, there was some regret in my voice, hoping he would say no.

“Honestly…at first, I thought I was but I’m pretty sure that I just got worked up over nothing”

I worked my way toward him and wrapped my arms around his neck. “That’s perfectly fine…it happens…” I shrugged. “It happened to me a few times already…but since we have an OCD thing about this…I’ll get Abbey and Chris to take Jesse to the movies or the cheesecake factory or something…”

“Would it be too much to ask if you went with them too?” he tried. I huffed. “Please?” he mimicked me from last night.

“Fine…I’ll take them all out to the movies or something while you do a sweep…just be careful. I wont be around and prepared to safe your ass”

“Careful is my middle name”

“Yea. Okay” I rolled my eyes at him.

But, I still kissed him and then raced back inside. “Jesse! Abbey! We’re going to the movies!” I cheered.

I saw Jesse’s homework was already all done and put away…I was so jealous that he was able to do his homework so quick…yea, he gets his smarts from me and Dean (what little smarts Dean has) but I could never do it like he does it…I never even did my homework, now that think of it. I ran upstairs to change real quick and when I got back downstairs, I saw Abbey was eyeing me but I just eyed her back and she understood my message so she nodded and grabbed her purse.

“What are we gonna see?” Jesse asked as we all headed out the front door.

“I don’t know” I shrugged. “We’ll see what they have…call Chris and tell us to meet us there…”

“Already on it” she said as she already had her cell out. Jesse got in the back, I got in the drivers seat and Abbey got in the passenger seat and I started driving.

~~~

“What’d you think of the movie?” I asked Jesse as he got in the passenger seat of the van and I got in the driver’s seat.

Abbey and Chris headed to the store right after the movie to get some groceries. “I think Abbey really liked it” he laughed a little.

“Yea, well, Abbey was always a sucker for movies like that one. When she saw Toy Story 3, it was a dream come true for her” I joked.

I shifted in my seat with my stomach churning again. “Mel, are you okay? You’ve been acting weird lately…and it’s not really like you to get sick…”

“It’s just a bug…my body is rejecting all this normality…” He just smiled. “Okay” I pulled up to the house and parked the van.

We both got out and I heard fast steps and a lot of rustling coming from inside even though the lights were off and the dark sky didn’t help my sigh much to peer into the windows but from what I could see, I didn’t see much. I heard Dean calling out my name and Jesse’s, along with Abbey‘s and Chris’.

“Jesse, stay close” I said, taking his hand and we rushed up to the door.

I opened the door slowly and I peeked my head in, just to see Dean pacing with a phone to his ear and he was gazing at pictures of me, him and Jesse on the little bulletin board we had in front of the desk, we had beside the table that the laptop was on. I only saw it was him so we walked on in. He spun around quickly and crashed his body into mine as he wrapped his arms around me tightly, I almost couldn’t breath.

“Where the hell were you?”

“Remember? We went to the movies…okay, ow” I gasped so he would let go. “What happened?” Jesse asked.

“Where are Abbey and Chris?”

“We’re right here…” Chris said as him and Abbey showed up behind us. “What’s going on?” Abbey asked.

“All of you, go upstairs and pack”

“Dean, where are we going?” Abbey asked and I just eyed him.

“I'm taking us to a friend's house. Go. It's okay. Go on up. I'll be there in a sec”

“Umm Mel…” Jesse tugged on my arm. I looked down at him and saw he had this shocked look on his face. “Oh my god” Abbey whispered.

I looked at her and saw she had wide eyes too. I finally turned my head to see what they were all staring at.

There, standing in front of us was Brittney with her hands in her jean pockets, just hanging out in her spot, so casually. “Hey, Mel” she spoke.

I didn’t move. “No…no there was something in that pie I made” I said, trying to laugh but it just sounded like I was in pain.

You made pie? Well, I cant blame you for thinking I’m a hallucination…but I was kind of expecting a hug”

I stayed in my spot. “It’s really her, Mel” Dean whispered to me. “Holy shit” I muttered.

Then, I took long strides toward her and hugged her tightly…she was real. She was really standing in front of me at this very moment…she was here. I gripped onto her shoulders to pull her away so I could look at her.

“Hey, man, did you get a hold of M-…” another voice started but stopped when he came into the room.

There, standing a few feet away was Sam. “What the hell? Is he real too?” I looked at Dean. He nodded. “Sammy” I cooed as I felt the tears well up and my insides churned as I jumped into his arms and hugged him tightly.

I didn’t know what the fuck was going on but right now, at this very moment, I didn’t complain and I took it in.
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333