World So Cold

Goodbye

“I’m sorry, Stefan,” I said as he came over and cut my ropes. Once my hands were free I rubbed my wrists trying to stimulate feeling back into them. They were bruised and raw. Stefan didn’t say anything but simply went back over to Elena, pulling her into his lap again.

On shaky legs, I moved over to sit beside Damon. Turning him so that he lay on his back, I put his head in my lap. Closing my eyes against the pain and dread that crept up in me, I bit my wrist. Blood began to spill out of the wound and I quickly pressed it to Damon’s mouth.

Reflexively as the liquid filled his mouth, he’d swallow. “That’s it,” I murmured running my hands through his hair. It was soft to the touch. After a few mouthfuls I removed my wrist. Damon coughed a couple times before opening his eyes.

His black eyes immediately found mine and swam with relief. I was alive, he was too. Then he pushed himself up into a sitting position. I helped hold him up. My blood had been enough to awaken him but his injuries were still severe.

His eyes found Stefan who was holding Elena. “I didn’t get to say good-bye to Bonnie and Meredith. Or Aunt Judith,” Elena was saying. “You have to tell them I love them.” Her voice was weak and distant. It had almost a dreamy quality to it.

“I’ll tell them,” Stefan said.

“You can tell them yourself,” panted Damon. His voice was hoarse and unused-sounding. “Use your will, Elena. Hold on. You have the strength—” He stopped talking as he got to see the whole condition that she was in.

She smiled at Damon waveringly. “I’ll try,” she promised.

“We’ll take you home,” said Damon. I could hear the defeat in his voice. I knew he hadn’t meant alive.

“But not yet,” she told him gently. “Let’s wait just a little while. I’m not afraid,” she said. “Well—only a little.” We all sat silently, looking at the dying Elena. In the end I had liked Elena. She was a human I could tolerate. “Oh,” she said softly. “How funny. How beautiful,” she murmured. “Stefan? I’m so tired.”

“You can rest now,” he whispered. He struggled to keep from crying. He wanted to keep Elena happy and peaceful in her final moments.

“You won’t let go of me?”

“No.”

“Then I won’t be afraid.”

Suddenly I felt my own world spin. Blood my mind said. I need blood. “Damon,” I said. I was going to tell him that I was weak. That I’d lost too much blood. I needed more blood. The shock of the past couple weeks was catching up with me. I felt myself falling backwards but never felt the impact of the floor. My mind had blacked out by then.
♠ ♠ ♠
One more chapter people. One more!