Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

Draft Day

Today is the day. After all the blood, sweat, and tears, today I will learn my fate. Will I go to Atlanta or LA? The NHL Draft isn’t just a day event; it’s a whole weekend, full of interviews, photo ops, and last minute stuff before you learn your fate. I was certain that Steven is heading to Tampa. However, there were talks that LA was going to draft Zach over me. I’ve always wanted to be a King but is willing to accept it if I’m not.

At the prospects breakfast, my parents, my sister Chelsea, and I were discussing about how we would meet up during games if I was picked by LA or Atlanta. Even up to this moment, I wasn’t sure which team would choose me. There were whispers around that Zach were going to be picked by LA and I was going to Atlanta. While I’ll be closer to Steven, who everyone knew will be going to Tampa; I really want to play in LA.

Besides my family from London, I brought my billet family from Guelph to Ottawa for this special day. However, two people were missing. I’ve broken up with Brittany three days ago. I’ve saw her flirting around with some guy right before leaving for Ottawa and felt this was the right time to leave her. When I did dump her, she told me she used me the entire year for sex and I was relived and angry at the same time. I’m glad I never loved her but I felt she wasted my time when I could’ve been with someone else. Janelle wasn’t there either, at least not yet. Today was graduation and she needed to be there. All I know is that she’s driving from graduation in Guelph to Ottawa as soon as it’s over. Plus, today’s her 18th birthday.

After our prospects’ fan fest outside Scotiabank Place, Steven, Luke, Tyler, Alex, Zach and I were relaxing in the Sens locker room as we get ready for the draft. I looked at my phone to see if Janelle was getting closer to Ottawa as my mind drifted to the events in the past few weeks. I thought about kissing Janelle on two occasions when I know I shouldn’t be. We’re friends, very good friends. I know she never been truly kissed by I hope she does that with someone she cares about. However, I couldn’t help how beautiful she looked lately; how beautiful she looks in general.

“Hey, quit daydreaming, Drew!” Steven threw a pillow at me. “Look what my uncle gave me?” He showed me an Ontario plate that says “Stammer” on it.

“That’s nice.” I continued to look on the phone and wonder when Janelle will show up.

“Dude, your friend going to show up.” Alex laughed as he was fixing up his tie. “Don’t worry.”

“I know.” I put my phone away as went to the mirror to fix my hair. “It’s just it’s almost time.”

“Are we still talking about Janelle and Brittany?” Zach asked. “By the way, who’s who?”

“Brittany is the Paris Hilton puck slut wannabe.” Luke answered. “Janelle is the cute girl with the nose ring at the Combine.”

“Really? In that case, yes for Janelle, no for Brittany.” Zach pats my back as I was getting annoyed by everyone talking about her. “I think whoever ends up being drafted by the Leafs will be very lucky.”

“Drew, why you never introduce me to her before the Combine?” Alex asked as he walked over the mirror to fix his hair. “If I was single, I would’ve asked her out.”

“I knew everyone agrees with me.” Luke smirked as he was putting on his tie. “Brittany may be hot but Janelle’s got the personality.” The guys all agreed with Luke’s statement.

“One advice to you; buddy to buddy?” Tyler came up to me, his 6’7” body towering my barely 6’ self. “Just kiss her already!”

The boys and I walked out of the locker room and headed to our designated sections as I met up with my family. Just as I was sitting down, I look at my phone and saw a text from Janelle.

Check up above you! :P

I look up and see Janelle waving from the upper section. I excused myself as I ran up to meet with her by the escalators. We gave each other a hug before apologizing about losing our breaths. I look down and took in what she wore; a casual summer dress with her hair up on a high ponytail.

“So how are you, Mr. Future NHLer?” Janelle said, finally breathing normally. “I’m so sorry I’m late. My grandparents dropped me off with my friend Rene and he drove me up here.”

“I’m not until they call my name, Goth Princess.” I smiled as she continued to give me a hug. “It’s alright, Janelle. You’re here. That’s all that matters. By the way, happy birthday. I want to give this to you. It’s your birthday present.”

“Really?” She looked at me as I took her present out. “But today’s your day. I can celebrate my birthday tomorrow.”

“It’s alright.” I placed her gift on her hand. It was a necklace with skate as a charm. I thought she would love this gift.

“I don’t want to say.” She looked at it, very touched by the gift. “Thank you so much. You’ve been a true friend. I really don’t have anything to give you as a thank you. I mean I have your diploma and yearbook but I wish I have something more than that.” Janelle blushed as she puts her necklace on.

“Being here was enough.”

“No it isn’t.” And that Janelle tippy toed and kissed me very briefly but gently. I was shocked and happy at the same time. I wasn’t expecting that out of her but something inside of me felt that the rest of the day will be fine. Her lips were as soft and perfect as I thought. But just when I was about to respond back, my phone vibrated.

“I have to return to my seat. Draft is about to start.” I was disappointed that I couldn’t respond to that.

“I gotta go anyway.” Janelle rubbed my cheek as she smiled. “Congratulations, Donut. I’ll see you after the Draft.” With that, Janelle walked towards the escalator and back to her seat.

The rest of the night was a blur as I did get selected by the Kings as the 2nd overall pick. As I was on stage with my new team, I looked up in the section to see Janelle being proud of me. At the family lounge, I met up with everyone and hoping I can talk to Janelle, but she seems interested in spending time with Luke. After all, he was going to Toronto where she is staying at. I did tell him to take care of her while I'm in LA but knowing he already has a crush on her, it seems he's taking advantage of that. I know one wish came true today, but I began to question my other wish. Does she want me?
♠ ♠ ♠
And we finally got a kiss! :P But there's more!