Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

They're Eating Her And They're Gonna Eat Me

“Happy birthday, dear Janelle. Happy birthday to you.” Drew sing as I blow out the candle off my small red velvet cupcake. Being 17 doesn’t feel any different than being 16. It’s just another year until I’m considered an adult in Canada and two more years until I can legally drink.

“You made a wish?” Drew asked, his smile beaming.

“Can’t tell you.” I stick out my tongue as I reached for the candle and removed it. Drew decided to surprise me by driving me all the way to London for the night. I told my grandmother that I was staying over at a training mate’s house to go over stuff before skating camp. After Sunday, we’re not going to spend the entire summer together. I’m spending the summer with my aunt Audrey in California for 3 weeks, followed by a weeklong skating clinic in Barrie. Drew, on the other hand, is going to World Juniors orientation camp to try to make the World Junior team at the end of the year. “Excited about camp?”

“Of course. Just interesting that they still want me despite being chubby.”

“Well you are a chubby bunny.” I put some icing onto his nose. “What about your parents?”

“They said they have Chelsea’s room ready for you when we come over.” Drew’s parents are allowing me to stay over for the night before heading back to Guelph and eventually Toronto this weekend. His sister went away to dance camp for the week and is allowing me to stay in her room. “Besides since my parents are out, we can play some beer pong.”

“Beer pong? I thought we can’t drink yet.”

“Okay, root beer pong.” Drew grabbed the bag beside him and showed him some red plastic cups and a packet of ping pong balls. “At least it’s something that has to do with beer.”

“Cheesy, but impressive I must say.” I laughed as I took a bite off my cupcake. “People might think we are a couple.”

“True. You need to start a fight with me.” Drew leaned forward so I can attempt to punch him.

“I’m not gonna punch you, Donut. Just make sure you get a girlfriend. I hate to be the thorn on side when it comes to girls.”

“Hey any girl comes my way from now on must be friends with you. No matter what, I’ll always want you in my life, Janelle.”

“Really? Even when I’m a total bitch to you and tell you that that Kelowna player is kinda cute?”

“You know Luke Schenn is going to be at that camp, eh?” Drew reminded me who was attending that World Juniors camp. Besides the boy Janelle has a slight crush on, there are others who are attending the camp, including other OHL stars like John Tavares and Steven Stamkos, who is most likely to be the #1 pick in next year’s draft. From what I heard he’s compared to Crosby. I couldn’t believe this time next year; Drew will be in an NHL team. “Any message you want me to pass to him?”

I took a napkin and placed a lip mark on it before handing it to Drew. I also took a pen and wrote a little note to Luke stating to email me once he gets the napkin.

“Now he has to email me.” I winked as I grabbed my bag and got up. “We should head to your place. Thanks for dinner.”

Drew and I head to his house on the north side of town. His house is very similar to where my grandmother and I live at. We’ve noticed the garage was empty and though this would be a great time to play beer pong with a can of root beer while his parents were away. We took the cups and ping pong balls out and placed them on the kitchen table and pour the root beer onto all the cups. Drew was leading from the start with 2 balls going inside the cups. Being a root beer hater, I had to cover my nose to drink my cups. But I was having a major comeback and manage to get 5 balls into his cups. When we reached 1 cup left on both sides, I decided to propose a deal.

“Okay Donut, one cup left.” I was throwing the ball that it would land on my palm. “If I win, I pick the movie we’re going to see and if you win, it’s your choice.”

“Fine. We’re watching ‘Once’ if I win.”

“And if I win, we’re watching ‘Troll 2’. Prepare for goblins!” I laughed as I threw my ping pong ball into his cup. “Drink up, Donut!”

“Not if I win this!” Drew took his cup and pours the last of the root beer into his mouth before throwing his ball. For a moment I thought the ball was going to go into the cup, but instead it didn’t go in. “What the fuck?”

“Whoo! Who’s the head bitch in charge? Who’s the head bitch in charge?” I shouted as I gave him my cup so he can drink my victory. “That’s right, Donut. I’m the head bitch in charge.”

“Stop gloating, Princess.” Drew picks me up to his shoulders and carries me up the stairs to his bedroom. I couldn’t contain my laughter that Drew would resort himself to be Tarzan after I beat him in beer pong. “You know you’re going to miss this while you’re gone.”

“Not in your dreams.” Once we entered his room, he threw me down on it. I was surprised of all the Kings stuff that was all over his room. He was right about his devotion to the team, even though they haven’t made the playoffs in years. “The movie is on YouTube. You have to type up ‘Troll 2’ to find it.”

Once Drew found the movie, we put the box into a full screen and watched it together. When I was younger, my parents and I would watch this movie not because it’s “scary” but it’s so bad that it’s funny. As a matter of fact, it’s the worst acting I had ever seen. My mom would quote lines from that movie, especially the part in which a character named Arnold was frozen as he watch in horror some girl being transformed into some veggie, only for the goblins to eat her. Any movie was better than watching “Once”.

“Okay, that had to be the funniest movie I ever seen and I don’t mean it in a good way.” Drew looked at the screen shocked. “Who the heck found these actors?”

“I don’t know.” I continued to laugh on his bed as he got up and sat beside me. “At least you have something to talk about with your teammates.”

“True. Listen, Janelle,” Drew paused as he placed his hand on my ankle. “I really mean it. I’m going to miss having you around. Promise me no matter what happens to use between now and even years from now, we’ll always have each other. Sometimes I talk to you more than my own friends here in London.”

“I know what you mean.” I smiled as I got up and walked over to his door. “I gotta get ready for bed. By the way,” I turned to him as I opened the door. “Can I keep you?”

“Quoting from ‘Casper’?” Drew chuckled as I walked over to him and kissed his forehead. “Good night.” I walked back to the door and left his room. This next couple of months will be tough without him.