Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

Where's My Fairy Godmother?

*8 months later*

I’ve just came home from my physical therapy session at the hospital for a follow-up. After over 6 months of physical therapy, I’m glad I don’t have to go back there and check my knee. Walking around with that wasn’t the most pleasant feeling for all those months.

It’s been an insane several months since my knee injury in September. While it took a while to get used to walking around school in crutches, everyone has been helpful. I continued to keep my distance because I was sure they want to turn it around and tease me once again. While my knee will make a full recovery, it’s a big setback on going back to competitive skating. But as one door starts to close, another has opened the flood gates. I was able to continue to help my students even if I’m sitting down on the benches. I started to really enjoy helping beginners learning how to skate instead of competing. I had considered coaching since I’m too tall for pairs, too womanly to continue ladies singles skating, and not the best dancer for ice dance. Now that I’m planning to attend the University of Toronto in the Fall, my coach is helping me find places in which they are looking for someone to teach classes for beginners. The worst case scenario is that she couldn’t find a club who is willing to take me on and can drive down to Guelph on the weekends.

As I was walking up the stairs, I noticed my phone started to ring. The number of that person is a familiar face that I love to speak to from time to time. Even though he moved away before I was 13, Rene and I remained very close. He’s like a protective big brother and my fashion expert. His parents didn’t accept that he was gay so he stayed with my family before moving to Montreal with his aunt to finish high school.

“Hey Nene!”

“Hey Tiny Dancer!” Rene answered as I relaxed on the bed. “So how’s that knee?”

“It’s getting better. I’m back from a follow-up. So what about you?”

“I’ve found the cutest condo here in Toronto that I’m moving into.” Rene sound really excited about it. After graduation from John Abbott College late last year, he said he was attending York University in the Fall. “I was wondering if you were moving up here this Fall, you want to move in.”

“Really? I mean what happened to that boyfriend of yours?”

“Oh that bitch? Forget him. It will be fun, babydoll.”

“I’ll think about it, Rene. I have to cut the conversation short but I’ll talk to you later in the week.” I walked into my room and saw a note on top of the bed addressed to me. I hung up the phone and opened it and saw a ticket for the Senior Prom this Saturday. I don’t think it would be Drew since he is most likely to take Brittany so I was hesitant to find out who it is. As a matter of fact, I am not sure if I want to go. What if this a joke to turn around and say “fuck you”? The memories of last year’s dance were fresh on my mind. I’ve texted Drew to meet me at my house when he has the time. I have a feeling he had something to do with it. Maybe it is to make up for not spending that much together since my knee injury and his busy year of playing with the Storm and winning gold at the World Juniors.

Drew came over 20 minutes later as we sat on the porch of my grandparents’ house. He looked like his usual casual self by wearing a tee and jeans.

“So what’s going on, Princess?” Drew asked while looking at me.

“Well I found this after my therapy session.” I should him the Prom ticket to him. “I wonder if it was from you.” Drew looked at me like a deer in headlights for a moment before blushing. “It was you?”

“Guity. Well Brittany said she has to go out of town this weekend, so I have an extra ticket. I couldn’t think of a better person to enjoy my last few weeks before the big show than sharing it with you.” Drew smiled as he took my hand. “I mean we’re going as friends but I rather take someone I care about going alone.”

“Really?” I smiled back at him but scared of what happened before will happen again. “Are you sure because you know how I feel about dances?”

“Hey if they don’t grow up, then we’ll just leave. Besides it gets me to see you dressed up again. Aside from skating and last year’s Junior Prom, I never had seen you in a skirt.” Drew was right. I’ve always wore jeans or shorts whenever we hang out, but never a skirt or a dress. “I know it is short notice but--”

“What time, Drew?” I interrupted. “I don’t want to do the fancy pre-prom bullshit the rest of the school will be doing. I just want to go to Prom and that’s it.”

“Be ready at 10 on Saturday, then.” At that moment, I don’t know what I got myself into.

It was 1 in the afternoon on Saturday, only a few hours before Drew was to pick me up for Prom. I looked myself in the mirror, wondering if I’ve made the right decision. I don’t have a dress, a hairstyle, or anything. Suddenly, my grandmother walked in.

“Mija, aren’t you supposed to get ready for the Prom Drew invited you?” My grandmother asked as she was playing with my hair.

“I think I am going to tell him to forget it.” I looked back at her. “I don’t have anything to wear. It’s not worth the embarrassment.”

“What embarrassment? That you’re a beautiful girl? That you are smart? That someone sees the real you, regardless how you look?” I started to walk around the room and look for something in the closet. “Listen, Janelle, Drew sees the real you. I think it is time that you show yourself the real you.” She pulled me to the mirror to make me look at myself. “Just look at yourself. Underneath all that makeup, all those clothes, all that hostility that you’ve been holding for the past few years, is a young woman who is beautiful, driven, fun, someone any person would love to have as a friend… someone who is willing to stand by you at such a big event like Prom. I’ve seen a change in you ever since you’ve met Drew over a year ago. I think you owe it to yourself to give back in return. He’s truly a great friend.”

“Abuela,” I finally spoke up as I was wiping a single tear on my cheek. “It’s late. I don’t have anything to wear.”

“Trust me, within a few hours; I will get your ready for Prom. May I borrow the car keys?”

It’s now almost 10 in the evening. My grandmother worked endlessly to make sure I looked perfect for Prom. I looked at myself in the mirror and look different what I’ve been used to for the past few years. Instead of looking like an emo, I actually look like a beauty queen. My grandmother wanted me to create a balance between the pretty figure skater and the gothy emo and came up with what I am looking at. For the first time in many years, I liked what I looked. It doesn’t change who I am but it will give me the confidence to be that woman.

I started to crack a smile, until I heard the bell ring. Oh no, what would Drew think?
♠ ♠ ♠
Characters
Rene Langlois