Sequel: Chasing Claudia
Status: FIN... again!

Goth & Donut

Flip or Lutz

After school and practice was over, I went over to the rink where Janelle works and trains to see her. I have another couple of hours before I see Brittany. Thankfully Brittany is not jealous of my friendship with Janelle as I knew her longer than her.

“Hey Donut!” Janelle called from center ice. “Long time, no see.”

“You saw me this morning!” I stepped into the ice with my own hockey skates and joined her. “How’s your practice going?”

“Over. I’m actually ready to leave in a few. My coach wanted me to do a quick run through my short program before Sectionals next week.” Janelle smiled as she skated around me. Next week’s Sectionals would be her debut as a Senior skater. After skating camp and summer competitions, she needs to do well at Sectionals to make it to the National Championship in Vancouver. I know deep down Janelle’s very proud of what she accomplished despite her body changing and the year layoff for whatever reason. “She made me work on my triple flip to make sure my edge is correct.”

“Flip?”

“Not that kind of flip, Donut.” Janelle explained. “It’s one of the types of jumps skaters do. This year they are starting to call on edge errors if they are taken off on the wrong edge. So my coach doesn’t want me to do a ‘lip’ or a ‘flutz’.” Janelle then skated around the rink and showed me her triple flip. She followed that jump with a triple lutz. I still thought the two jumps were the same. However, after the second jump, she began to bend forward, rubbing her right knee.

“Are you alright?” I skated towards her and she wouldn’t bend back up as she continued to rub her knee. Suddenly, she fell on the ice in pain.

“Oh my God it hurts.” She rubbed her knee one more time before trying to straighten her knee but couldn’t.

“Maybe you should get that checked out. It could be something.”

“I can’t. I have to be at Nationals next week. I can’t afford to get injured.”

“But you can’t get up. I’m taking you to the ER.”

“But what about your girlfriend? Bethany, right?” Janelle continues to try to get up to no avail.

“Brittany. I’m sure she’ll understand if I was a little late.” I went over to Janelle and picked her up. The fear in her eyes is very evident as she hopes her dream of making it to Sectionals was not dashed by this.

“Drew… I don’t need a hero.” Janelle whispered, still looking at me. “I can take care of myself.”

“I know. But you need a check up.” I carried her to my car and drove her to the hospital to check on her knee. I’ve called her grandparents and her coach to let her know what was going on. Once her grandmother arrived, I’ve left the hospital so I can see Brittany.

At Brittany’s house, Britt and I were watching a movie on the couch and making out. Her parents weren’t home so she and I had the house to ourselves.

“Oh I missed you.” Brittany cooed as she kissed my neck. “I missed this.”

“I know, babe. You were definitely in my thoughts when I was over there in more ways than one.” I began to move my hand towards the bottom of her shirt when my phone went off.

“Ah don’t pick up.” Brittany moaned as I reached for the phone. “You said your friend is going to be okay. Let’s just keep on going.”

“I know, babe. But it could be one of the boys as well.” I picked up the phone and answered it. “Hello?”

“Drew?” A woman with a thick Spanish accent spoke.

“Yeah it’s me.”

“This is Janelle’s grandmother. It’s pretty bad. She tore a ligament.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Not skating for six months? If an injury took me off the ice for 6 months, I would feel the same way Janelle is feeling right now. No playoffs… no NHL Combine… no way to get drafted, or in her case, a missed opportunity. It’s been a week since that practice. Janelle was released from the hospital the day before after having surgery on her knee. The doctor said she had a grade 2 MCL tear and would need to stay off the ice for at least six months. For someone who loves skating as much as she does, it was a huge blow to her confidence.

After practice, I’ve paid a visit to her grandparents’ home to give Janelle her homework. From the whole time I have known her; I have never paid a visit to her house. We would always meet in neutral places or my billet’s house cross down. Her grandparents’ home is modest; a 2-story home with many pictures. By the fireplace, I saw a picture of Janelle when she was younger. She looked normal in these pictures. Her hair was long and blonde. Plus, she looked very happy in the pictures. I wonder what happened to that happy girl in these pictures.

“That was her when she was twelve.” Her grandmother Natalia pointed out to me. “It’s her Grade 6 graduation. To be honest with you, I miss that girl in that picture.”

“You know what happened?” I asked as I took a sip of the apple juice she offered to me.

“She never told you?” Her grandmother raised her eyebrow. “I’m very surprised because she’s been open with you. All I can tell you it was a very rough summer for her a year after that picture was taken. I don’t think she was ever the same after that summer.”

“Wow, really?” Her grandmother nodded.

“I’m glad she has a friend like you. You do remind me of her friend back home. His name’s Rene. He’s like a big brother to her before he moved to Montreal. Anyway, it was like she was beginning to be her old self again and now this injury happened. I’m so scared that she’s going to go back to that sad and angry girl. Skating was her life.”

After my conversation with her grandmother, I went upstairs to her room. After a few knocks I walked in. For a girl who is a supposed “emo”, her room is quite normal. It was light pink with posters of Hello Kitty, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds To Mars, and Sasha Cohen. On one shelf, there were a few medals and trophies. By her mirror, there were pictures of her with a few people, most likely family and friends from back in Quebec. One picture did stood out was a picture of us during that karaoke night.

“Are you going to say hello to me?” Janelle said from her bed. Her right leg was in a cast while her left leg was off the bed. I went over to her and gave her a hug. “Wow that’s a first… you being in my room.”

“I have to find a way to see you in person.” I sat beside her on her bed while placing her homework by her night table. “How are you feeling?”

“Like a pile of horse shit. The doctor prescribed me some meds for the pain but I’m already feeling sick. How are the Storm and your girlfriend?”

“The team is playing well, even though we just started the season. Plus I’ve seen some scouts at some of the games lately.”

“Well that’s great, Drew. Maybe you’ll get selected by the Kings or something.” Janelle laughed. “Remember blondie is most likely going to go first.”

“I’ll tell Steven that you’re calling him that. As for Britt, she’s doing okay.”

“I’m glad. You should go. Thanks for the homework. I’ll probably be back in school in a couple of days in crutches. They’ll probably call me ‘Tiny Tim’ or something.”

“Why? I’ve just came in.”

“I don’t want you to treat me like I’m helpless.” Janelle said. “Besides, you should be spending more time with your girlfriend. I’ll be fine.” Her mood was somber when she said that.

“Well I also came over to drop off something,” I took out a pen and signed her cast. “Now when you get better, you can sell it on Ebay.” I wrote on her cast “Stay strong, Princess” before leaving her room. As I closed the door, I heard a little sob from her. I know she will be okay. She’s a fighter.
♠ ♠ ♠
[url=http://cache3.asset-cache.net/xc/85763222.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF8789215ABF3343C02EA548C56505AE3CB4D206840F6E3358112E5DB48B9784315FF772E30A760B0D811297]Natalia Suarez Costello[url]