Two High IQ's Make One Great Romance

Flipped Up in a Messy Flair

It was exactly where I had expected it to be when I got into the hotel room. Thank goodness Spencer didn’t want to come up; it would have ruined my preparation time. I was planning on stalling him by making him go to the store for me, but luckily for me I didn’t have to be so devious.

It was beautiful, just like my Dad has assured me. I also made him swear to me that it was not too expensive, because Spencer would hate if I spent too much money on him. But then, I had a lot of money, and what a better way to spend it than on the person I loved the most in the world.

I ran my hands up and down the polished wood, gracing them over the marble and then looked over the inner mechanics briefly. He was going to love it, I knew. I took out the giant red bow I had brought from Virginia and stuck it on top of it, letting the ribbons flow down the front.

After making sure that the present was presentable, I flipped open my laptop and video called Hotch. He was, surprisingly, in the police station in New York. It was only surprising because Hotch usually liked to be in the field, not in the office.

“How is everything going?” I asked him. He stared at me with narrowed eyes, as he always did, and nodded.

“We’re close. We would have been a lot closer if you and Reid were with us, but we’re doing alright without you, for the time being. You’ll be back on the job tomorrow morning right? We might need fresh eyes and I think Reid is just the person for it.”

I nodded back at him. “Yes, bright and early. Have you called him? I’m sure he’d love to help over the phone.”

“That won’t help, I need his eyes. Where is he?” Hotch attempted to look around the hotel room behind me.

“Visiting a friend. He should be back in an hour or so.”

“It’s important that we have 100% of your attention to this case when you both return. Is that clear?” He asked in a rather aggressive tone. I looked shocked for a moment but nodded anyway.

“Yes sir. Tomorrow morning.”

He hung up the chat before saying good-bye. I shook off the fact that he seemed angry and looked at some of the case information I had already received. There wasn’t much to go on, and although I was sure that Penelope had most of the technological aspects of the case covered, she was also doing her job as information liaison which meant that I was a huge help in getting answers solved more efficiently.

Spencer was perhaps one of the biggest roles on the team, being one of the most intelligent people to grace the FBI with their knowledge. I took a minute to reflect on the fact that the man I was dating was truly fantastic, and smiled in appreciation of that.

After I had packed our things up and was lazing around the hotel, finding more things to busy myself with, Spencer walked in the door with a bag in his hands. I ran to him, shocked and almost upset at what I was seeing.

His hair, his characteristic long brunette hair was now chopped short. The front of it was flipped up in a messy flair. He stood in front of me, beaming like a child, looking at least five years older. He looked like the same old Spencer, but the hair that had framed his face was now gone, and I was left confused. It was incredibly sexy though, I had to admit.

“What did you do?” I asked him immediately bringing my fingers to his head to run them through his short locks.

“I got a haircut. The friend I went to see cuts hair, so she offered to do mine.” He paused and looked into the paper bag. “Oh and bought me a bottle of wine, I guess.” He shrugged and set the bag on the counter, still looking at me with his ecstatic expression. I crossed my arms, suddenly feeling like an immature little girl.

“Oh you went to go see a girl friend.” I said, not expecting myself to sound so catty.

“Uh.. Yeah? I don’t see why that would be a problem.” He took the wine out of the bag and set it on the counter.

“Well it would have been nice to know, is all. Maybe I would have tagged along.” I tried to rationalize with why I was upset over Spencer seeing another girl without me, but then I came to the conclusion that I was just incredibly jealous, plain and simple.

He looked at me with the most confusing look I’d ever seen on him. “Are you really mad? Or what is the problem? I’m a profiler but I don’t read you because we’re together too often.” He tried to figure out my body language.

“Don’t profile me now, either.”

“I’m not!” He said defensively. “What is the problem?” He asked, honestly not trying to fight. I took a deep breath and remembered that although I may have been jealous, Spencer would not intentionally go see a girl to upset me. I sighed and looked at my feet.

“I’m sorry, I just got a little upset that you didn’t mention that it was a girl. I don’t know…” I shrugged.

He started laughing and walked over to me. “You’re upset because I had a girl cut my hair too. You’re not sure how you feel about the haircut and are trying to figure out your feelings about it so you clung to the most reasonable topic.” He said with a smile on his face.

“Don’t push it.” I poked him jokingly in the chest with my finger. “I said I was sorry.”

“Accepted.” He wrapped me in his arms and kissed the top of my head.

“And the haircut looks very sexy, I will say. I just loved your long hair.”

“It was time for a change. This is a new year in my life, so a new change is in order.”

I nodded in agreement and continued hug his slender body. I pulled back and covered his eyes with my hands and kissed him briefly.

“Don’t peak.” I kept one hand on his eyes and another one led him in the direction of the room in which I was hiding his present. He had an annoyed smile on his lips, but I ignored it and continued to walk.

When we were in the dining room, I double checked to make sure it looked perfect before pulling my hand off of his eyes and standing in the direction of the piano.

His mouth fell open and he stood, a bit shocked. “Oh my God.” He walked towards it and started running his fingers down the smooth black wood. I waited for more of a response before knowing if it was a good present or waste of money.

“This is amazing.” He sat at the small bench in front of it and played a few chords consecutively. “Please tell me you didn’t spend too much on this.”

“Define too much.” I sat next to him and pressed a couple keys.

“I’d rather not and just hope that this isn’t as much as I think it was.”

“It really wasn’t. I got a good deal on it once I threw my Dad’s name around a bit. Do you like it?” I leaned on my head on his shoulder.

“I love it! You are the best girlfriend anyone could ever wish for.” He leaned down and smashed his lips against mine, surprising me. I giggled audibly into his mouth and wrapped my hands around his middle, intensifying our kiss. He continued kissing me up and down before pulling back briefly and admiring his new piano.

“Well,” I said with my hands still wrapped around him, “Play me something.”
He sighed heavily and released me, letting me sit next to him on the bench. He got his fingers in the proper position and began to press the keys lightly, testing the noises that they made. He was not a piano expert, but I had a feeling that if he really pursued it (which he would, because he was Spencer) he would be phenomenal in a short time.

The song he played was simple, but elegant. His fingers were surprisingly nimble and swift as they flew across the keys. I was a bit shocked to hear him sound so good. He truly amazed me.

“How do you do that?” I asked after his song was over.

“What?” He smiled and kissed me excitedly.

“Be amazing at everything you do.”

“I’m not nearly amazing… I’m just a quick learner.”

I leaned my head onto his shoulder. “No, you’re amazing.”

He kissed the top of my head and rubbed my back.
I was quiet for a little while he continued to play with the keys and play a few simple songs. After he got tired of playing, I checked my cell phone and realized that our flight home was in only a few hours, and that we needed to go out to dinner before our departure.

“I packed our stuff all together. We just need whatever we want to go out to dinner in and then we can get straight onto the jet. Hotch said that we need to rest well because apparently the case they’re on is a tricky one.” I rubbed my eyes and looked up at Spencer and his new haircut.

“Are you sure that you want to go out? We can stay in and just enjoy the view from the hotel
balcony.”

I was silent as I thought about his proposition. Last night all I wanted to do was stay in with Spencer and just spend the night together, and why would I want to go out somewhere when he clearly didn’t have an interest in it?

“You’re funny, you know? I make all these plans for your birthday thinking that you’d love them, and you really just want to make me happy.” I wrapped myself around his waist once more.

“I’ve loved everything that we’ve done. Last night was especially nice.” He winked. I giggled and rolled my eyes. “I want you to be happy on my birthday because it makes me happy. And I can honestly say this is the best time I’ve had in years.”

“I’m glad. So we’re staying in then?”

“Well we have wine.” He added with a smirk.

“Dr. Reid you just want to get me drunk and naked.”

“I can say with all sincerity that it was not my intention to get my incredibly gorgeous girlfriend undressed. But I’m sure by the power of persuasion that perhaps by the end of the night she’ll be so inclined to do so.” He stood up and began walking to the kitchen area where he poured us each a glass of wine.

“I love it when you talk nerdy to me.” I tip toed into the kitchen and took the glass he offered me. Our glasses touched briefly as we said cheers to his being another year older- and I added in maybe another year wiser.

When we I kissed we could taste the wine on each others' lips, and it tasted better than anything I had ever savored before.

“You taste delicious.” I licked my lips.

“Ditto.” Spencer let us out onto the balcony where the lights of the city were enough to illuminate the sky.

“It’s beautiful, in a weird way.” I said with a sigh. We sat down on a reclining chair and cuddled in close. His arms wrapped around me and he nuzzled into my neck.

“Yeah, it is.”

XXXXXX

I pulled my jacket in closer as we walked towards the plane. Spencer dragged his bag a few feet behind me.

“I’m exhausted.” I said, climbing up the steps and smiling towards the pilot.

“You’re welcome.” He smirked. I began giggling at his stupidity. The wine had influenced our decision making skills, and for whatever reason we decided to have sex on the balcony of our hotel room. No one could see us, I’d hoped, but it felt a bit exhilarating to have done such an out of character thing for the two of us.

“I’m falling asleep as soon as we get in the air. The flight lands in about eight hours and I need all the sleep I can get.” I tossed my stuff onto the couch in the jet, and buckling myself into one of the seats so we could take off as soon as possible. Spencer lounged beside me, finally getting into his seat so we could take off.

Once the plane was at a safe altitude, I immediately threw myself onto the bed that my Dad used to sleep on long flights. Before I even had the opportunity to ask Spencer to join me, I fell asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you enjoy! did anyone guess what the present was? anywayyyyy thanks to everyone for the comments (loved every single one) and i hope you all like this chapter! <3