Status: Complete

Eat Your Heart Out

Chapter 9

“So how did the interview go?”

He smirked triumphantly, “I start at the new semester to help with training. Didn’t even take any convincing.”

I glared over at him, even if I was thankful he didn’t use compulsion.

“How was the hour at home?”

Had it really been a full hour? “Fine,” I replied, taking in the scenery out of the window.
The trip there, throughout the store, and back was fairly normal. I stocked up like someone who was starving (because I was) and after grocery shopping I tidied up the house a bit. Curious about the story on the news earlier, I clicked on the news at 5 o’ clock and waited for the story to appear.

“With us right now is Dr. Carneil, speaking on behalf of Oak Springs Medical –“
I dropped the handle of the vacuum I had just drug into the living room and grabbed the remote, turning up the volume. “Aiden!”

“Not now, Brat!”

“…and based on the autopsy performed by Dr. Keebler, she was killed before the wreck ever happened. There was a puncture in her jugular vein and it appears that she had bled out long before the car wrapped around the oak tree. We have given all the information we can to the police and send our condolences to Jasmine’s family.” The reporters tried to get him to give more details, but he shook his head and walked back into the hospital and it went back to the young reporter, who was now onto the happy subject of weather.

“Um…what wreck?”

I turned toward Aiden, surprised that he was standing next to me. You would think that I would get use to things like that. “Apparently, there was a wreck this morning and the driver didn’t make it.”

He looked at me, arms crossed and an eyebrow raised. “According to the news, she was dead beforehand.”

Eric’s words from earlier ran through my head and I realized my mistake. “We don’t know that.”

“Eric just said that.” He crossed his arms, looking down at me, “Kris, did anything happen when I was gone?”

“No.” I said a little too quickly. “Promise!”

He stared at me a long while before nodding and heading back into the kitchen. A few minutes later, I heard a very normal question, which gave me a bit of relief. “You decide what you’re making for dinner tonight?”

“I was thinking a Stove Top something with a side of mac and cheese and a Caesar salad.” I said, turning on the vacuum and finishing up the living room. With the TV and vacuum going, I couldn’t hear anything so I jumped when Aiden walked passed me to the front door, pulling it open with a look of confusion. I turned the TV on mute and turned off the vacuum and walked up behind Aiden, trying to look around him to see who was there.
“I just came to drop this back off.” I knew that voice.

“What the hell was it doing at your house?”

“She didn’t tell you? She came by this morning to see me.” I could feel the smirk on his words.

The door slammed shut and a very pissed Aiden spun around holding my striped blue scarf in his hand. “What the hell were you doing at the Salvatore house?” He shouted.
I stared at the scarf, almost positive that I came home with it earlier. “I..uh..”

“I…uh..”He mimicked, walking closer to me, causing me to back up. “Why the hell did you go to see him? I told you to stay away from him!”

“I…I felt bad after what happened yesterday and went to ap-“

“Felt bad? He deserved it! He deserves a hell of a lot more!”

“Why? You were the one who through the punch yes-“

“He deserved it! After what he did, acting like he doesn’t remember- “

“Remember what?”

This time, Aiden froze. “Never mind. Just forget it. Don’t go over there again!” he commanded, throwing my scarf at me and heading back toward the study by his bedroom. I followed, wanting to understand what was going on.

“Aiden, what did he do that was so bad?” He turned around and looked at me and then pulled me into a hug. I shoved him away. “Stop being bipolar. What did he do that was so bad? We just met him yesterday.”

Carefully, Aiden lifted my left arm, staring at the bite mark that was scarred on my skin since I was eight. He ran his thumb over it, before sitting down in a chair, pulling me with him.

“Please don’t tell me that you think he was the dog that bit me all those years ago.”

He chuckled and mumbled something I couldn’t hear. I was about to persist further, but we both heard the garage door start up, so I jumped off Aiden’s lap and went to greet Eric.

~~~

“What did you do?”

I turned to Elena, a fake look of shock across my face. “Why do you assume that I did anything whatsoever?”

“You’re smirking and looking pretty damn pleased with yourself.”

“So? Why can’t I just be confident with amazing self.” I walked over to her, grinning stupidly.
She sighed and shoved my face away.

“He’s proud of himself for causing drama with the neighbors.” Stefan said walking in from…well from somewhere.

“Damon,” Elena said in a warning tone.

“What? I was just being neighborly. Kris left her scarf, I felt obligated to return it to her.”
“You said they were screaming when the door shut.”

I smirked again, I couldn’t help it. Driving a wedge in that family would most likely to getting the information about their past out faster. And now that it looked like there was a new vampire hanging around town, it would be important to know everyone’s secrets. “So maybe part of it was a bit of payback for yesterday.”

“She came over to apologize to you.”

“Who said that I care?” and with that I turned on my heel toward the kitchen. Both of them followed me.

“Any idea about whose art was on the news?” I asked, nosing around the cabinets and fridge, a bit hungry. There were eyes on the back of my head, causing me to look up. “Am I the only one who thinks that the new neighbors are more than coincidence with this event?”

“One of the brother’s was representing the hospital that did the autopsy today. I don’t think they were involved.” Stefan replied, arms crossed and brows furrowed in a typical Stefan style.

“Easy cover up.” I breathed, leaning against the counter.

“And what makes you so sure that they did this?”

“They are the newest addition to the town. Based on past people that have just randomly decided to move into Mystic Falls, I have a feeling that they have a secret that needs to come out.” That smirk crept back up on my face and, deciding that nothing in the kitchen would satisfy my hunger, I patted my brother on the shoulder, grabbed my jacket, and headed out to the Mystic Grill.
.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry for the slow update, everyone! Thank you CallistoRedbird for the first comment! Love to hear from the rest of my readers/subscribers as well!

~Kait