I'm Leaving You Tonight

What happened to Mikey?!

Gerard’s P.O.V.

Omg what have I done? I might have killed my own brother!
I’m such an idiot, I should of looked around me before I swung that damn microphone. And now Mikey might die…all because of me. I’ll never forgive myself if anything happens to him.

I guess I should explain things. Mikey must have come up to play beside me like he does now & then. But at the same time I decided to swing my microphone round, and well basically I hit him straight on the back of the head. Yeah I know, it doesn’t sound that bad right…I mean Adam Lazzara did it to Matt Rubano and he was fine. But it’s what happened next that made it worse. Mikey was stood too close to the edge of the stage and because me hitting him took him by surprise, he stumbled and fell off the stage, hitting his head multiple times on the way down. Unfortunately security was preoccupied with something and couldn’t catch him in time so he just fell straight to the ground, unconscious. I couldn’t believe it. We had to stop the show and rush Mikey to hospital. Sure I feel bad about having to do that to the fans, but this is my brother’s life on the line.

Right now me, Frank, Ray & Bob are sat in the waiting room, almost like zombies, while the doctor’s are in surgery trying to save Mikey. That’s right surgery. Apparently he had lost a lot of blood by the time the medics got to him and his gash was pretty bad so the only option was surgery. Now do you see why I’m such a terrible brother?!

Out of the corner of my eye, I see the guys suddenly sit bolt up right. Oh god, it’s one of the doctor’s who was in surgery with Mikey. Please let him be ok, please.

“Mr Way?” He calls while approaching.

“That’s me. How’s Mikey? Is he ok? Please tell me he’s ok.” I babble all at once.

“Calm down Mr Way. One question at a time please.”

“How is he?” I ask anxiously.

“We managed to stop the bleeding, and also stitch up the gash in his head along with the other smaller cuts.” He says reassuringly.

“Oh thank god…” I breathe.

“…However, due to the amount of blood loss there was, Mr Way hasn't regained consciousness yet and we fear he may be in a coma.” He adds apologetically.

By now the tears are streaming down my face and I manage to utter, “He…he will…be ok though…right?”

“It’s a waiting game I’m afraid. And even if he does regain consciousness. There may be a possibility of brain damage because of the conditions he was in. We’re going to be taking him for a scan later on to be sure so there’s no need to worry just yet. As I said it’s a waiting game. My apologies once again.”

I’m crying so hard right now I can’t even manage to ask him if we can visit him yet. Thankfully Bob, the more stable one of the group (he’s still crying, but he can at least string a sentence together), takes the initiative.

“Erm Doctor, can we go and see him yet?” He speaks up.

“I’ll send a nurse over soon to take you all to him. I’ll be sure to inform you of anything new.” He smiles and then he’s gone.

10 long minutes later.

My train of thoughts is interrupted by “If you’d like to follow me, I’ll take to all to see Mr Way now.”

We all stand up in unison and follow to nurse down corridors and up floors for what seems like a lifetime, until we reach what must be my brother’s room.

“Considering the current circumstances, I don’t see why you can’t all go in together. I warn you now though, he doesn’t look like the Mikey you’re used to.” She gives a weak smile and heads back down the maze of corridors again.

“After you Gee.” Franks says giving me a gentle push towards the door.

I take a deep breath and enter Mikey’s room closely followed by the guys.

Oh god look at him. I start welling up again, the tears threatening to spill over any second.

What have I done?!