Love Never Gone

Catalina's Birthday

Catalina was jittery the entire time they walked to the piano room. She only glanced at the man being drugged, only glanced at the sliding doors to freedom, but she danced and pranced when they came to the door. “Did you get it? Do you have my presents?”

Rohas chucked as he lifted his hands and patted her shoulders, “Calm down sweetie, I have your gift. The piano is still in my car, nice and wrapped, and the headphones are in my pocket.” He reached into his pocket and pulled out the keys, “Are you ready to play now?” He unlocked the door and opened it for Catalina.

She skipped in with a cheerful prance, “Yep Yep.” She shut the door behind her and walked over to the piano bench and sat down.

Rohas walked into the observation room and flipped on the sound, he actually enjoyed listening to Catalina play. She was only seventeen but she was playing as if she had been playing for decades. He had a proud smile on his lips as he watched the sweet girl smile behind the piano. He was happy Catalina was so eager and full of life. It was a beautiful sight, she was beautiful when she was happy.

After playing only a few songs, Catalina stood up and walked around the grand piano. She lifted the piano's massive dash that hid the hundreds of strings and hammers. She went out of Rohas' sight.

Rohas nervously pressed down on the microphone switch, “Cat, what are you doing?” He gazed through the mirror at the piano.

“The piano sounds weird,” She fiddled for a few more seconds before she slowly lifted the rod that held the piano's dash up. After she did a few final adjustments, Catalina walked back around and tapped a few more cords. Once again, a cheerful grin flashed on her lips as she turned to the glass, “fixed it!” Her fingers started up their dance. Another beautiful song echoed in the speaker before she stopped, “Mr. Rohas, do you want to come in?”

Rohas gasped as he watched Catalina. It was unheard of for Catalina to let anyone even near the door, and now she was asking him in. Once again he tapped on the switch, “Are you sure you want me in there while you're playing?”

“It sounds better in person than through that speaker,” Her hand waved him in while her smile invited him with kindness, “Come on, you won't regret it.”

Rohas was a professional, but his mind raced in excitement as she rushed out of the observation room and slipped into the sealed piano room and shut the sound proof door behind him. With a happy smile, he walked around the piano and to Catalina's side, “I'm ready.” He stood proudly of his major breakthrough with the girl.

Catalina giggled as she snapped herself up and quickly pushed Rohas with her gentle hands. She led to the piano's exposed side. “Alright, watch the strings.” With a cheery smile and a playful skip, Catalina returned to her bench, “I should apologize.” Strings began to sing as the hammers of the keys gently tapped the strings, their cushions protecting the tight strings from the slams. They vibrated and sung with each key she tapped down; a soft quite song played as she spoke, “I kind put you through hell for a few days, and asked a lot from you, which you did.” Her pearly white teeth nibbled on her lower lips as she thought about what to say, how to bait him, “Remember when I said I was sane? It's true, I know exactly what I was doing, and you were right. I did all those thing to get attention, and I was rude to you. Then when I asked for my birthday gift, you gave it, you gave me so much Mr. Rohas.”

“Oh sweetie, please don't worry about it, it wasn't even that much I assure you.”

“Oh,” Catalina suddenly stopped playing as her pink glowing hues glared up at him while her lips twisted into a cynical grin, “It was more than you can imagine!” Rohas had enough time with his sight to see only two sudden blurs. Catalina's right hand flung up, then came crashing down to the keys. He heard her hand punch the keys and the hammer strike, but he didn't hear the high pitched screams of the piano. No, only the sound of invisible whips slicing through the air. Skin and flesh had no chance against the pent up force of the countless of strings that whipped up when the cushionless hammers struck down on the worn string Catalina had been punishing for months. To Catalina it was a perfect beautiful sight, she blinked as she slammed her fist down; Rohas' face was still intact, still smiling that stupid foolish grin. Then like magic, she opened her beautiful eyes to see a stupid grin swarmed by over fifteen whipping strings slash into his face. His head cocked back first, the strings suddenly became a visible red as the flopped down on his white shirt; spiderwebs of red covered his face before he could react but slamming is burning face. It was a beautiful sight to see as he screamed, as he crumbled down to his knees, as his perfectly sliced lips, nose, eyes, even shards of neatly cut skin, all peel off into his blood soaked palms. His legs flailed as he flopped down to his back in a desperate attempt to keep his face intact, muffled screams fed Catalina's joy now. Perhaps he believed it could be saved, but Catalina knew the damage gained in one thousandth of a second would remain for the rest of his life. As calm as a summer breeze she rose before walking over to the screaming doctor, in the sealed room no one would hear him.

“Oh no! I'm so sorry Doctor, I guess I tuned my piano wrong.” She reached into his pockets and pulled out the keys and the black wired headphones. She pulled his blood stained coat over his head and viciously stuffed his gasping mouth with the white cloth; now his voice was almost muted as she walked causally out of the room. The quite halls echoed with her sweet humming, she walked past the exit with only the napping receptionist as guard, she walked past the nurse as he gently placed the used syringe on a cart with bottles of the drug; then she stopped. She spun around with her bare heels and gripped each end of the headphones tight.

The nurse finished locking the door to the room when a black blur swopped down his face. He blinked and cocked back, but that was all he had the chance to do. The black blur suddenly caught his throat and clung tight to his skin. Only a gasp gurgled its way out as his stubby fingers tried hopeless to pull away the black wire. His breath ran out of his clogged air way; then a foot dug into his flabby right caff, just under his knee. The attacker's foot forced him down to his one knee as the foot put unbearable pressure on his caff. A pop cracked from his knee as he landed; but the wire mercilessly tugged with all its force. This launched the into a backwards downfall. A heavy thud, coughing, terrible gasping; it was all his body could do while he lay powerlessly on the tile. His blurred vision caught sight of a faint beauty picking up the used syringe and the tiny bottle of the liquid drug.

Catalina skipped like a sweet sadistic girl, a syringe and bottle in one hand and a bundle of keys in the other. She skipped right past the desk, “Checking out.” The receptionist didn't even waver from her sleep as the skidding doors granted Catalina a breeze of freedom. She was finally free... Free... but not yet happy... Not yet where she needed to be...