Angel, Put Me Back Together Again

Date Night

Franks POV

I felt my heart start to race as I realized the music had stopped playing. I couldn't help the smirk that was pulling at the corner of my lips knowing what was coming next. I felt Christine's hand squeeze mine a little tighter, her breathing heavier. All of a sudden, the killer jumped out from the side of the building in front of the unknowing protagonist. The music came crashing back in full force making us both jump. We shared a glance and we both began to smile and laugh under our breath.

She still clung to my hand as we made our way out of the movie theater as the credits rolled on the latest thriller movie we had just seen. We walked out into the lobby and she detached herself from me.

"I have to use the restroom before we go."

"Make sure to check around the corners." I called after her.

"Shut up!" She squealed as she walked faster to the bathroom. I shook my head and began walking around the lobby, checking out the promotional posters for up coming movies.

I know what you're thinking, and no it's not like that. Christine and I are still coming up with a plan to get me to California. I'm just hanging out with her to keep her company. After a long talk about her situation, she reached the conclusion that she had to tell her husband it was over. She spent the day coming up with what she was going to tell him and eventually got the courage to go face him. It went as well as I thought it would. He accused her of cheating, which she had not done (technically). When she called him out on cheating and he realized he couldn't deny it anymore, he blamed it on her. "She made him do it." Everything you would expect a guy like that to say to make it look like he was the victim.

Though he had been spending the week moving his stuff out and staying at a friends, I had been letting her crash at my place. He may have let her keep the apartment, but she didn't want to run the risk of being there while he was moving his stuff out. My dad was gone on business so I had the house to myself.

Since the split, I had been trying my best to keep her preoccupied. We still had class, which we tried to keep as un-awkward as possible, but when class wasn't in session and we weren't grading her papers, we were finding other things to do. Tonight was movie night. It's also ice cream night, but she doesn't know that yet. When we pulled up to the local ice cream hot spot, she looked at me and grinned.

"Look at you. If I didn't know any better, I'd say this was a date." She said as she slung her purse over her shoulder. I wasn't sure how to respond, so I just laughed and climbed out of the car. We opted to sit on their patio and enjoy our ice cream in the particularly nice evening weather. I aimlessly took bites and thought about everything that had happened this past week. Helping out Christine, devising a plan to get to California, and I didn't want to think about what Angela will say when I just show up there.

Honestly I don't know what she would say. I don't know what she will look like. What if she had completely changed? She might look like every other girl over there, or at least what I see on tv. Super tan, barely any clothing, and super fake. The tan thing isn't so bad, but what if she doesn't like the same stuff? What if she's been seeing other guys? I've had the thought in the back of my mind but I never really thought about how I might deal with it if it was actually true. I wouldn't have much to say about it, I suppose. For starters, we're not together, and after all the bull shit I've put her through, could you blame her? I would like to think that she was waiting on me. That she never even looked at another guy the way she used to look at me, but that would be naive. I wouldn't be able to handle it. The best I could hope for is that I would be level headed about the whole situation but I guess I won't know until I get there.

I took the last bite of my ice cream and looked over at Christine.

"You done?"

"Mm-hmm." She said as she also finished hers off. We stood up from the table and walked over to the trash can at the edge of the patio. I turned to walk back toward my car but was cut off when I heard someone call my name.

"Frank? Holy shit, is that you?"

"Huh?" With my eyebrows furrowed, I turned around to see who was yelling for me. I felt my heart sink a little when I saw his square rimmed glasses gleam under the iridescent light of the ice cream shop. He was still with the same girl, too. I swallowed an unexpected lump that had formed in my throat.

"Mikey... Jesus. I haven't seen you in awhile."

"How've you been?" He asked with his usually animation while giving me a quick hug. I could almost feel my whole body sigh with relief. I don't know the last time I saw any of the guys, but if it could have been anyone I ran into, I'm glad it was Mikey. He was like my taller, lankier brother. He never seemed to be in a bad mood and he was acting like nothing had happened between me and his older brother.

"Oh, you know, going to school, trying to figure shit out. How have you been?"

"I'm alright. Decided to skip college. Hopefully get this band off the ground."

"Still with My Chem?" I asked like I had never been a part of it. With as much time that had past, it felt like it, too.

"Yup. Still going."

"That's good..." We were starting to get into the awkward territory of "weather talk". Had things really become that estranged between us? I noticed Mikey give Christine a look but chose not to say anything. I felt my face flush slightly. I didn't even acknowledge her. "Oh, sorry. Mikey, Alicia, this is Christine, one of my professors. Christine, Mikey's an old friend of mine, and Alicia has practically been a permanent fixture for... how many years is it now?

"Uhh..." Mikey looked at Alicia sheepishly.

"6 this coming January. Nice to meet you by the way." Alicia said rolling her eyes.

"Professor? You're like super young." Mikey said already bouncing back. Smooth Mikes, as usual.

"Yeah.. I'm just a teacher's aid. Nice to meet you, too."

Mikey gave me a quick glance and I knew what he was getting at. I gave him my best, 'I'll tell you later' face.

"So um... how's the band coming?" I asked hesitantly. I wasn't sure if now was the time to get into it, but curiosity was eating at me.

"Eh, it could be better. We got this guy to play your part. He's not that great though. You know you should talk to Gerard about coming back."

"I don't know Mikey... I don't think that's a good idea." I could feel Christine looking at me in my peripherals. I guess I never told her about the band. I'm just thankful she didn't ask right this second.

"Listen... Gerard is really sorry. Honestly. He hasn't been himself since you two just disappeared. I really think you should talk to him. Not just about the band, but anything. He'll listen this time."

I loved Mikey to death, but he sure knew how to make an awkward situation worse. Did he forget the girls were still standing here? Alicia might know a little more than Christine but I wasn't sure how much. As quickly as he plunged the conversation into Awkwardville, he immediately retaliated.

"Hey listen, we're not going to keep you guys up anymore. It was really good meeting you, Christine. You better text me later Frank."

"Alright, it was good seeing. You man." I instinctively grabbed Christine's hand and began walking back to the car.

"Woah, slow down crazy. What's up?" She asked having to take two steps for every one I took.

"Sorry... I didn't realize I was walking so fast." I slowed down, but we were already at the car. I opened her door for her before making my way to my side. I put the key in the ignition but didn't start the car. There was a moment of silence before I sighed and turned to her. "I'm sorry if that was awkward and confusing for you."

"It's fine, Frank. Really. I wasn't going to ask unless you wanted to tell me."

"Well, I guess we have something to talk about on the way home."
♠ ♠ ♠
Next installment. Sorry they're coming so slow. Literally anything that can go wrong in my life right now is going wrong, so I kind of just write when I can.
Cheers.