Angel, Put Me Back Together Again

Arrival

Franks POV

"Frank?"

"Hmm, what?" I snapped my attention over to Christine. Her hand was gripping mine, giving me a sympathetic look.

"You don't have to be so tense. We're back on the ground."

"Right." I nodded my head, not realizing how tense I was until I relaxed. All of my muscle felt sore from gripping the arm rests and grinding my teeth. I had horrible headache from the mix of being nervous to see Angela and not being the best fan of flying. We gathered up our carry one bags and filed out of the plane. As we waited by baggage claim for our luggage to pop out, we sat on a nearby bench and talked. Well, she talked. I just gave the occasional nod and a "uh-huh" every now and then. I honestly wish she would just let me sit in silence for a minute. Get my thoughts together. It was really starting to get annoying. I know she's only trying to help, but when have I ever been a rational person?

"I don't know if I want to go to the beach first or check out the shops. I wonder if we'll bump into anyone famous. You think there are any bands touring while we're here? Maybe I'll catch a show. What'd you think Frank?"

"Uh-huh."

"Ok... that’s like the tenth "uh-huh" I've gotten from you since we got off the plane. What's up? Why won't you talk to me? Frank?" She placed her hand on my cheek causing me to turn and look at her. I felt a sudden bout of anger boil up in me. I grabbed her hand firmly and put it back to her side.

"Please just stop trying to make this so nonchalant. I'm trying to deal with some shit and you won't give me two seconds of peace!" I glared at her and watched her face turn bright red. I groaned and put my head in my hands. I didn't want to see her reaction to my ridiculous outburst. I might not have seen her, but the tension was overwhelming.

"There are our bags." She said in a small voice. I felt her presence leave me as she went to retrieve them. After a beat, I stood from the bench, feeling instantly guilty as I saw her dragging both mine and her luggage over to me.

"Jesus, Christine. Let me help you." I sighed as I met her half way and grabbed my suitcases from her. She didn't look up at me. "Christine, I'm sor--"

"I'll meet you at the hotel." She cut me off before quickly heading to the exit. I stood awkwardly and watched through the glass as she hailed down a taxi. She lugged her bags into the backseat before hopping in next to them, not once looking at me. I wish she would have at least let me ride in the taxi with her to save money. I groaned and threw my backpack over my shoulders and began to drag my suitcase behind me. As I walked out of the building to where everyone was hailing down taxi's, I learned to follow their lead. It took a few minutes but eventually one noticed me and pulled up to the curb. I went to open the door when someone tried to step in front of me.

"Hey, taxi's taken, dick." I glared at the guy in a suit that was trying to steal my car. He grumbled and moved on to another taxi. I rolled my eyes and continued loading my bags.

"Assholes, right?" an unfamiliar voice said behind me. I glanced over my shoulder as I threw my backpack in.

"Yeah. Nice warm welcome." I said sarcastically.

"Coming back or visiting?" He said as he took a drag of his cigarette. I finally faced him full on. Lots of tattoos and piercings. My kind of crowd.

"Visiting."

"Nice. Enjoy it." He nodded.

"Thanks." I nodded back awkwardly as I climbed into the back of the taxi. I wondered what the guy was waiting on as I shut the door behind me. As the car pulled away I watched as he stopped a kid on a skateboard. I could have sworn I saw him slip the kid some cash as the car went around the corner. I took my phone from my pocket and sighed. Nothing from Christine yet. I thought about texting her but I wasn't sure what to say. She knew what hotel we were going to, but I guess I could double check with her.

"I'm on my way. You remember which hotel, right? I'm sorry I snapped at you…" I sent the lousy message and slumped down in the seat. After a moment my phone buzzed. I jumped and quickly picked it up. To my dismay, she simply responded with "yes". I furrowed my eyebrows before dropping my phone in the seat next to me. I would just deal with this when I got to the hotel. Surprisingly it wasn't as long of a drive as I thought it would be. I groaned as I dragged my bags one more time out of the car and up to the hotel. I made my way up to the front desk, trying my best to give the woman behind the counter a smile.

"Hi, I had a roomed reserved. My ... um, she was just here. Christine. Her names Christine..."

"Yup. Mrs. Iero was just in about ten minutes ago. She's already up in the room. Would you like someone to carry your bags?" She smirked as she slid the room key over to me. I chose to ignore her comment and quickly took the key and fumbled to slip it in my pocket.

"No. I got it, thanks."

"Enjoy your stay, Mr. Iero." She smiled once more before going back to her computer work. I took the elevator up to the fourth floor where our room was located. Thankfully our door was just a few down from the elevator doors. I could barely hear The Smashing Pumpkins coming from behind the door. This must be the right room. I rummaged for the key that the stewardess just gave me downstairs. I pushed back the door and could see Christine's legs hanging off the end of the bed. I took a deep breath before stepping into the room. As I shut the door behind me, I knew I should have come up with a good apology. She didn't even look up as I placed my bags against the wall and took a seat on the edge of the bed. She had her hands tucked under her head, staring up at the ceiling, her phone propped up on the pillow next to her playing music on shuffle. I sighed and tried my luck at putting my hand on her knee. She still didn't flinch.

"Christine..."

She didn't answer but I knew she heard me. I could feel her tense up when I started to rub my thumb in circles on her jeans.

"I'm sorry about earlier. I'm just nervous about all of this, you know? I haven't seen Angela in months and I'm just worried that I'm making a huge mistake by coming here unannounced. I feel even worse that I dragged you into this mess. A lot of shit has been running through my mind since we landed and I'm just trying to figure it all out. I didn't mean to snap at you, I'm just stressed. Please don't be mad at me." I looked to see if she was even paying attention. She hadn't moved but her eyes were on me. I couldn't read her facial expression. She finally made a move to sit up so she was sitting on the edge of the bed next to me. She slowly placed her hand over mine and gave it a slight squeeze.

"I know, and I'm sorry. It's just ..." She took a deep breath before deflating and shaking her head.

"What?"

"It's really stupid."

"Christine, if something's wrong, you can tell me. I swear I won't get mad or whatever." I had a feeling I knew where this was going and I tried to brace myself. She bit at her lip a minute before finally answering.

"I'm trying not to freak out either." She said in a small voice, her head hanging low.

"Why? I mean... what's got you freaking out?" I instantly regret asking this. I knew full well why she was stressed, but I failed to even think about it being wrapped up in my own problems.

"Jesus, Frank. Did it ever occur to you that I've been playing it cool this whole time so you could fulfill this fantasy of yours? You and I both know that we're getting too close for comfort, and don't you dare deny it. Did you think for one second that maybe it wouldn't work? That Angela wouldn't take you back. Then what? We have to go home together, no matter the outcome. I'm trying to pretend like this isn't killing me inside, ok?"

"Christine... please don't do this. You know you mean a lot --"

"Spare me the best friend talk. We've been through this. I want to salvage what friendship we have left, so can I please just have these few days to enjoy myself and pretend like this isn't happening?"

I was fully expecting her to be crying but when she finally looked me in the eyes; they were dry as a bone. Her face may be red, but she seemed pretty well kept together. Despite her request, there was one thing I was going to tell her whether she, or I for that matter, liked it or not.

“I’m fully aware of your feelings for me, and you may not be fully aware of my feelings for you, but Angela wasn’t the only thing I was thinking about on the way here. I can’t tell you much, but I can tell you that I do care about you, and I have thought about what’s going to happen when we leave here, and I’m just as freaked out, but I couldn’t imagine not having you here with me, so take that for what it’s worth. I want you to go out and enjoy yourself, but I can’t wait any longer to find out if I just made another huge fucking mistake. I’m going to talk to her tonight. I’ll text you when it’s over, but don’t wait up for me.” I quickly stood up from the bed as she stared at me with her mouth hanging slightly open. I made sure my wallet was in my pocket before heading towards the door. I stopped with the handle in my hand and glanced over my shoulder at her. “I l… I’ll be back soon”. I hurried myself out of the room before she had a chance to respond. I shook my head as I made my way out of the hotel and back onto the main road, ready to hail down a taxi. I wasn’t one hundred percent sure on what I was going to say before walking out of the door, but I’m glad I chose something else, regardless.

I walked a short distance before being able to grab one of the cabbies attentions. I told him the name of the school and we were quickly off. I knew we weren’t far from it, but no amount of time to think about it could make me anymore prepared. We were too soon pulling up to the main entrance of the school and I could feel my heart pounding out of my chest. I hastily tipped the driver, not sure of what I just handed him and waited for him to speed off before I walked onto the campus. I remember the building name that Gerard had told me, but not the room number. I found a campus map, consulting it before walking in the direction of the building. I felt oddly calm as I walked into her dorm building. Not sure of where to go, I stopped the first person I saw.

“Excuse me, but do you know Angela Henderson? She lives in this building I think.”

“Possibly. What do you want?” The blonde asked, raising an eyebrow at me. I already didn’t like this bitch.

“I’m in from town to surprise her. What floor does she live on?”

“Third floor, room 300.” She continued to smirk at me. I didn’t bother thanking her as I walked to the elevators. “You won’t find her there.”

“What?” I turned to look at her as she folded her arms over her chest and smiled even wider.

“She hasn’t been here all week. She’s off doing some dinner scavenger hunt thing her boy toy set up. I don’t know; it’s stupid whatever it is.”

“What restaurant?” I definitely wasn’t in the mood for this girls shit now. I cringed at the thought of her with another guy. I’m pretty sure this girl saw it, and smirked.

“Hmm … you know, I just can’t seem to remember the name of—”

“Cut the shit, seriously. Where is she?” I practically growled at her as I balled my fists up at my sides. Her smirk fell and she narrowed her eyes at me.

“Damn … attitude much?” After a little more reluctance, she gave me the name of a little restaurant in town they were supposed to be having dinner at. I took no time in heading back to the main road and finding a taxi. I couldn’t think straight as I absently rattled off the name to the driver who thankfully knew what I was talking about. I felt my stomach turning as the taxi took me to the restaurant. There's no way she's with another guy. That girl was a bitch anyway. She probably said that to piss me off. As the taxi pulled up to the front of the restaurant, all I could hear was my heart pounding in my ears. I kept my eyes on the ground as I exited the car and walked up to the glass looking into the dimly lit restaurant. I took a couple deep breaths before looking into the building. As I scanned the room, my eyes gravitated toward the corner and my heart sank. Everything felt like it was moving in slow motion and fast forward at the same time. I almost didn't recognize her in the dress and high heels, but I certainly recognized the guy she had just leaned in to kiss. I may have only seen him briefly but it came back in an instant.

The guy from the airport.

I watched as she met him halfway across the table, eyes closed, lips begging for his, her hand on his thigh under the table. Everything after that happened at lightning speed as I threw open the restaurant doors.
♠ ♠ ♠
Holy hell. Next chapter is it. I really thought they would meet in this one, but there were a few more things I needed to do before then. Anyway, I hope your as pumped as I am. I know this chapter is a little long, but you deserve it after the anticipation I've been putting you through. I can't make any promises, but I'm going to try and get the next one out by the end of this week. Just keep checking back. Cheers.