Angel, Put Me Back Together Again

Late

Frank's POV

I had been tossing and turning all night. There was no way I was getting any sleep at this rate. I sighed and rolled over the side of the bed and reached into my bedside drawer. I dug to the very bottom before I finally retrieved what I was looking for. It was folded and worn from how many times I had found myself reaching for it on these sleepless nights.

I carefully unfolded the glossy picture to reveal one of the few things I had left to remind me of Angela and I. In a fit of rage one night after she had left, I began throwing things away. I shredded notes and pictures. I threw away some things we had gotten together, but I had missed this one picture. This one Angela had taken herself. She was attempting to take a picture of herself and I bombed it by jumping on the couch next to her, and planting a sloppy kiss on her cheek. I was worn out and sweaty from band practice, which made her groan and laugh at the same time. I liked how happy she looked. I was pretty goofy and sweaty, but it was one of my favorites. I ignored the burning sensation at the back of my throat and clutched the picture tightly as I rolled to my side, examining it by the moonlight that was streaming in through the crack in my curtains.

I wanted to call her. I would give anything to just hear her voice again. I hadn't spoken to her or heard anything from her since she left. I know she had been in contact with the guys. Especially Gerard. He always asked me if I cared how she was doing. My answer was always the same. No.

But that was a lie. It killed me inside. I wanted to know what she was doing. I wanted to hear about California and her school and the people she's met. I felt the burning at the back of my throat again. Who had she met? I don't think I actually wanted to know that. She probably had met someone. She has every right to. Me on the other hand, I hadn't talked to anyone. Girls at the community college had caught wind of my old reputation and had been trying to get my attention. None of them could hold my interest. Well, maybe one.

Christine.

I looked at the picture in my hand and sighed. No, not even Christine. She was nice, pretty, and liked everything I liked. I just couldn't bring myself to feel anything for her. She made me feel good but there was one problem... she's my professor. There were a few times where I almost asked if she wanted to hang out outside of class but I didn't want her to get the wrong impression. I don't even know how this sort of thing works. I've never been friends with a teacher before.

I took one more glance at the picture in my hand and all thoughts of Christine were gone. Before I could stop myself, I sat up and grabbed my phone off my bedside table. I dialed the number that Gerard gave me. It was to her dorm room. He said it was just in case. I told him it was a waste of time, but I didn't turn it down. I took in jagged breaths as it rang a few times. I felt my heart start to beat widely. As I was about to change my mind and hang up I heard someone pick up.

"Hello?" Her voice came scratchy and quite. I held my breath. What did I want to say? Why did I call?

"Hello?" She said again, more alert this time. I took in a shaky breath. I tried to say something but nothing came out. My heart was hammering in my ears. There was a strained silence and I swore I heard her voice crack.

"Frank?"

I felt my stomach lurch at the sound of my name rolling off her tongue. She sounded worried, scared, and unsure. I quickly pulled the phone away and hit end. What was I thinking? I stared at my screen as her name and end call was flashing across my screen before it finally went dark. I waited for it to ring. For her to call back. She had to remember my number. I sat in silence for what felt like hours, barely breathing, gripping my phone tightly, waiting for her to call back. At last I let the phone fall from my hands and on to my bed. She's not calling back. She's probably pissed I woke her up. How did she know it was me? I laid back down and rolled away from my phone and just stared at the black wall waiting for it to open up and swallow me whole.

I don't actually remember falling asleep, but when I opened my eyes I was greeted by the blinding sun. I groaned and pulled the blankets over my head. I felt something graze my hand and, with a little fumbling around, retrieved it. It was my phone. This made me shoot up straight. I forgot I had called her. I pressed the home button of my phone and squinted to read the screen. No missed calls. But it was about ten thirty.

"Shit!" I cursed loudly as I stumbled out of bed, throwing the sheets off of me. My class started at ten. I quickly grabbed the first pair of jeans I saw and a random t-shirt. It smelled fine so I threw it on. I slipped on my converse, not bothering to tie them and made my way to the front door, keys in hand. I drove as fast as I could to campus, finding the closest parking spot I could to the building with my math class. As I made my way down the hall I heard several papers and books being shuffled around. Just as if someone had opened a flood gate, people began pouring out of the rooms. I had missed class. I ran my hand through my messy hair as I pushed against the wave of students going in every direction. I emerged in front of my class to see that Christine was putting the last of her papers in her bag. She looked up and saw me standing in the door way through the glass and smirked, throwing her messenger bag over her shoulder. She nodded for me to step in out of the sea of students. I pushed the door open and made my way over to her, the door clicking shut behind me. I leaned against the desk across from her as she leaned back against her desk.

"Slept in?" She was amused.

"Yeah... sorry. Did I miss anything?" I asked sheepishly. She looked me over, a smirk still plastered on her face.

"Yeah. I'll get it. Nice shirt by the way." She turned around and began to open her bag. I looked down to see I not only had my shirt on inside out, but backwards. My face burned as I looked around the room. No one else was in here. I could slip it off really quick before she turns back. I quickly pulled it over my head and flipped it right side out. As I was pulling it back over my head I heard Christine let out a small gasp. I pulled hard on my shirt to see that I hadn't gotten it on before she turned around. I felt my face start to heat up from embarrassment.

"I-I'm sorry. I was, uh..."

"Your tattoos." She said, looking at me with wide eyes.

"Oh... yeah. I have a few more..." I mumbled, still a little embarrassed.

"What was that one? On your hips?"

I looked down as if I could see them through my shirt then back at her. I cocked my head to the side. I wasn't sure what she wanted to know. "It's ummm... two guns. It says Search and Destroy." I scratched the back of my head. She gave me an unsure look as she bounced her gaze between my face and my stomach.

"Can I see?" She asked, a little hesitant.

"Oh, uh, sure." I gripped the end of my shirt, lifting it high enough for her to see the tattoo that wrapped around my whole waist. She put down the papers that she had in her hand and took a step toward me, tilting her head to get a better view. She brought her hand up to my side, turning me so she could see the whole thing. As I came full circle, I felt her hand slide down from my side and down the my hips to trace over the birds that sat on my hip bones. I couldn't stop the burning sensation that radiated from her touch straight to my groin. I cleared my throat and quickly dropped my shirt, my face becoming hotter.

"I'm sorry, I just... that's so cool."

"Do you have any tattoos?" I asked changing the subject. She didn't step back from me.

"Yeah. I have one on my ankle. It's kind of dumb." She chuckled as she moved her leg for me to see. It revealed a music note with what I assumed were her initials on it. She shook her head as she turned her leg back. "Some stupid ex boyfriend of mine gave it to me. I was 16, he was 21. Amateur tattoo artist. He convinced me it was a good idea."

"It's not that bad. At least it's not like.... a butterfly or something. That's pretty generic." I felt the tension start to leave me. That's when I noticed her face began to turn a shade of red. She reached down and tucked her dress pants down a little and lifted her shirt to show a small purple butterfly on her hip. It was pretty faded and kind of crooked. I bit my lip to stop the laugh that was threatening to escape. She noticed and reached out, slapping my arm.

"Shut up, I told you I was sixteen! It was a long year I wasted with him." She tried to pout, but she couldn't sop the smile spreading across her crimson face.

"Anymore I should know about?" I asked, crossing my arms over my chest. She smirked at me as she reached behind her for the papers she had laid on the desk. She turned back to me and shoved them against my chest, making my let out a grunt as I unfolded my arms to take the papers from her.

"What're you doing tonight?"

"Uhhhhh... that's a little off topic but nothing I'm aware of. Why?"

"I have a night class tonight until 9. You wanna meet me when it's over?"

"They have classes that late?"

"Yup. 7:30 to 9. It's usually for older people with nine to five jobs. That's the only time they can take it. Plus it's only once a week."

"Weird."

"So, you going to come or not?" She asked again. I looked at the papers she had handed me with unease then back up to her. I wasn't really all that great at math and I definitely couldn't understand a word, or rather number, on this paper. She smirked and cocked her head to the side. "They're not due till Friday. Who knows, maybe I'll help you."

"Really?" I perked up.

"Only if you meet me tonight."

"Deal." I said as I swung my bag over my shoulder and started to shove the papers inside. Christine finally stepped away, tightening her hold on her messenger bag.

"See you at nine." She said as she strode over to the door. I stood holding my bag, watched as she left, realizing I couldn't keep my eyes off her. I shook my head and said the first thing that came out.

"Hey you never answered me about the tattoos."

She looked at me over her shoulder and grinned at me. "See ya." And with that, she left me alone in the room. I realized she hadn't told me where the class was. I started to shove the papers in my bag again to quickly catch up with her when I saw a blank sheet of paper with writing scrawled on it. I pulled it out and saw that not only did it have the room number written on it, but her phone number. Probably if I got lost. That's what I told myself anyway. I closed up my bag and made my way to my next class. I ignored the guilty feeling I had as I made my way down the hall. There was nothing wrong with what I was doing. Nothing was going to happen. Actually, I wasn't even sure what Christine had planned for tonight. I wasn't worried though. She's just my professor. That's all...
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, so I know I said I would try to post once a week, but I didn't factor in my midterms. So now that that is down and over with, I should start posting once a week. That was my fault and I'm super sorry. Hope you enjoy the update though. Cheers :)