Life Happens

Chapter 2

7:00 p.m.
Robbie’s Condo
Robbie’s P.O.V

“Do you really think this looks good on me?” Alyson asked me while spinning around in a black, sequenced Zac Posen gown I recently bought her. We were getting ready to attend Zac Efron’s movie premiere of Charlie St.Cloud, and Aly just couldn’t wrap her mind around that fact that she looked wonderful.
“Aly, you look absolutely stunning.” I gushed for the thousandth time that evening. “You couldn’t look more perfect in anything else.”
Alyson smiled at my compliment and responded by picking up a set of diamond earrings that matched her dress. I stood up and volunteered to put them on for her.
“I still can’t believe you asked me to go with you to the premiere.” Alyson replied while turning her head toward me so I could secure the earring in place.
I sighed “Why do you find that so unbelievable? I told you I needed a date for the premiere and you were the first person that popped into my head.” Besides Heather, of course. “You know me and Heat’ are over.”
I strained to get out the last part, because it still terribly hurt admitting it aloud. Aly obviously noticed because she turned to me with a concerned look.
“Rob’ if this is too soon, I wouldn’t mind not going out tonight. I’ve been to plenty of premieres. Missing one won’t hurt.”
I scoffed. Typical Alyson, she was always being the thoughtful one. “Yea, but it’ll hurt me.” I said jokingly. “Zac will kill me if he found out that I didn’t attend the event. I promised him that I would be there, and I’m not breaking a promise.”
Aly smiled approvingly at me and turned back around so I could put in the other earring. Before I got to fasten the earring, though, the doorbell rang. I sighed frustrated and took a quick glance at the clock, 7:13, there was plenty enough time to finish getting ready and to get rid of whoever was at the door.
“No, don’t worry about it. I’ll get it.” I replied sarcastically to Alyson when I realized she wasn’t going to budge to answer the door. In a split second, I reached the door and opened it reveal two wide-eyed girls.
“Ashley, Ariana, hey. What are you guys doing here?”
Ariana spoke up first. “Well, we came over to get you out of a place we called depression. But by the looks of it, I would say you were about to go somewhere, on a date, perhaps?”
I looked at them quizzically. “Who told you I was depressed?”
Ashley groaned exasperatedly “No one had to tell us! It was obvious, I mean you haven’t stepped a foot outside this apartment since Heather dumped you and you even signed off from that new TV-show. If that’s not depression, than I don’t know what is.”
I stood staring at them flabbergasted. How could they assume I was depressed? I can honestly assure you that at that moment, I was anything but depressed.
“Umm, I’m not depressed. If anything I’m far from it actually. And who told you I signed off from Hellcats? Because whoever did, told you a lie.”
Ashley and Ariana turned deep red with embarrassment. “Well, we just assumed that since you haven’t returned any of our calls,” Ariana began.
“And you never answered the door when we came to visit,” Ashley continued.
“That you were shutting yourself in from the world. We were just worried about you.” Ariana finished.
I couldn’t help myself from laughing aloud at their misunderstanding. Ashley and Ariana glared at me as if I was crazy.
“Why are you laughing?” They demanded in unison.
“I’m laughing because you two are complete idiots!” I exclaimed still chuckling loudly.
They just stood there with confused expressions. I stopped laughing and explained. “I wasn't shutting myself in from the world, Ari’. And the only reason I didn’t answer your calls or came to the door was because I wasn’t here!”
Ariana and Ashley’s expression went from confused to downright dumbfound.
“You guys, I was in New York looking for a new apartment.”
They gasped as the light finally clicked on in their heads. “I’m staying there for a while to film the show.” I continued.
Ari’ smiled in relief. “Oh, well that explains so much, Rob’. We’re so glad you’re not on the verge of suicide.” Ariana turned slowly to glare angrily at Ashley. “Isn’t that right, Ash? He seems perfectly fine to me. What about you?”
Ashley didn’t bother to answer because her gaze wondered far behind me into the apartment. “What is she doing here?”
I didn’t have to turn around to see what she was talking about, because I knew she was referring to Alyson.
“Oh, we’re about to go to Zac’s movie premiere. Weren’t you guys planning on going?” I replied.
Ashley and Ariana fixated their angry scowls on Aly. “Well, we were. But now that I think about it, I have some laundry to do.” Ari’ replied coldly.
“Yea and I have a script to go over.” Ashley said her voice dripping with ice. I frowned and stepped outside the apartment closing the door behind me.
“Why are you being so mean? What did Aly ever do to you?” I asked angrily.
“Heather was right.” Ariana began “You did cheat on her with that skank!” Ashley nodded in agreement.
I gasped. “I did not cheat on, Heat’. Ok! She cheated on me! And the only reason she broke-up with me was so that I wouldn’t beat her to it.” I paused staring at their expressions. “Look, I needed a date to the premiere and Alyson just happened to be at the right place at the right time.”
Ariana interjected me. “Yea, in your bed after you two screwed the hell out of each other!”
I looked at her gap-mouthed. How could she say something like that?
“Aly and I never slept together.” I said through gritted teeth. “We’re just friends. And you know what? I thought we were too, but I guess I was wrong.”
Ashley and Ariana didn’t say anything for a while and there was a spell of awkward silence.
“We are your friends, Robbie. But we’re also Heather’s friends and we can’t just go against her word.” Ariana replied breaking the silence.
“But you can’t take mine? That makes no sense!” I exclaimed “If you want to believe her than fine, ok. Whatever, but I know the truth. I would never cheat on Heather. I loved her. She just didn’t love me back.”
They didn’t have a chance to say anything else, because I quickly stepped back into my condo and closed the door in their faces.
“They don’t like me very much, do they?” I jumped from startlement at the sudden question because I forgot Aly was standing right behind me. I turned to face her and smiled faintly. “There’s just a misunderstanding. If they really knew you, they would love you. I’m sure of it.”
Alyson didn’t seem to believe me because she kept a solemn look on her face. “I’m guessing they think I’m the reason you and Heather broke-up, right?” She replied.
“No, of course they don’t.” I lied weakly.
Alyson sighed deeply. “You don’t have to lie, Robbie. I know what’s going on. I’m not stupid.”
I frowned at her accusation. I knew I couldn’t hide anything from Aly. She always knew what I was thinking and also knew when I was lying.
“Fine, yes, they think you’re the reason Heat’ and I broke-up. But that’s not the truth, ok. It’s all just a misunderstanding.” I said giving up and finally telling the truth.
“Everything’s a misunderstanding with you.” Alyson replied scornfully while looking at herself in the hallway mirror.
I walked slowly toward her and looked at the mirror also.
“You’re not mad at me are you?” I asked pouting.
Aly smiled at my puppy-dog face. “I could never stay mad at you, Robbie. You mean too much to me.” Her hand grazed my cheek as she looked into my eyes. “I’m sure you feel the same way.”
Dang, what is with this girl and her assumptions?
“Aly…” I warned “don’t.”
Her eyes widened with innocence. “What?” She asked.
I gave her one of my knowing looks, but I guess she decided to ignore it, because she quickly grabbed me by my black, Marc Jacob’s blazer and the next thing I knew, I was being shoved against the nearest wall and smothered by her hot body. She suddenly put her mouth to mine and I could feel myself become faint and weak under her spellbinding kisses; I couldn’t control myself. I vigorously began to kiss her back and my hands started to explore every inch of her. She tore open my blazer and ripped off my white dress shirt. My fingers got lost in her curly, blonde hair and I pulled her in once more for a long, lingering kiss.
“I don’t think we’re going to make it to that premiere.” Aly said obviously out of breath from the kiss. I smirked under her heavy breathing and brought my mouth down to hers again. Our tongues entwined and I could feel myself get woozy.
“I guess tomorrow I’ll be a dead man.” I replied as I opened the door to my bedroom…