Status: Comments Pwease?

The World's On Fire

It's a ***ed Up Mess

“Zacky!”

“Rylee!” I caught my little sister and spun her around and around.

The anger I’d felt all tour long disappeared as I held the seventeen year old in my arms. I hadn’t seen her since before we went on tour, and I missed my extremely hyper sibling. Just seeing her distracted me from all the pressures I’d felt for these last two months on the road.

With Brian engaged and Matt’s wedding in a couple of weeks, Gena had been pressuring me more and more to propose. She wanted to settle down and get married. I just wasn’t ready for that step yet. Especially since at the same time she was become more distant. In fact, she wasn’t even here at my homecoming with the other guys. All the other girlfriends/ fiancés were here. All I had was my sister. Not that I’m complaining.

“Zacky are you listening to me?” Rylee asked, rolling her eyes.

I sheepishly laughed, “Not really. I’m to busy wondering how many guys I’ll have to chase away when I drop you off at Mom’s.”

She frowned, “You know that’s not true Zack. Nobody wants to go out with the bald chick.”

My smile dropped to a frown, but I didn’t say anything as we walked to my car. Rylee was diagnosed with cancer two years ago, just after the self titled album was released. She started chemo therapy immediately following the diagnosis, but her chances of survival were small since day one.

“Oh no!” I teased as I saw her stand by the driver’s side door of my black Porsche.

“But Zacky,” She wined, “I just got my license last week!”

I laughed and opened the passenger door of the vehicle, “That’s exactly why I don’t want you driving it.”

Rylee huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. She walked around the car and sat down. “I drove it here just fine.” She flipped the end of her hat over her shoulder. It was black and white; a panda bear with a pink bow on one of its ears. It reminded me of a panda-ized Hello Kitty.

I acted like everything was fine for Rylee’s benefit, but deep down, nothing was. On the outside, I joked with sister as I drove us home, but on the inside I was seething.

She wasn’t the same as she was two years ago. Her eyes were dull, lifeless. You could tell she was pretending to be happy, when she shouldn’t have to. She was so young. It wasn’t fair.
“Zacky,” Rylee mumbled, placing a hand on my arm, “You just passed Mama’s house.”

“Well maybe I wanted to pass Mom’s house.” I lied on the spot.

“And why would you want to do that?”

“Well maybe I want to spend some time with my beautiful baby sister.”

Rylee blushed and looked down. I laughed and focused all of my attention on the road. Rylee sang along to the radio and watched the beaches pass in the window. She had a good voice, but it wasn’t the same as it was before. Then again, everything had changed.

I pulled into the parking lot at part of the beach. Just a few feet from our car was a Ben and Jerry’s store. I felt like a girl, eating my emotions out, but Rylee loved the place. I figured it be good. I also wanted to spend some time on the beach. Rylee needed the sun anyways.

My sister stared at the small building for a few moments. I almost thought I’d screwed up, but she looked at me and smiled before getting out. We both ordered a scoop of chocolate in a cup. It was a Baker thing; everyone in my family always ordered it. No, it’s not intentional.

Rylee was telling me about school and how she was struggling to keep up with her two AP classes when she suddenly stopped and turned around standing in front of me.

“Let’s go to the park.” She said, taking my hand and pulling me in the opposite direction.

“But we’re at the beach. You love the beach, right?”

“Ye-not any more.”

“Why not?” I asked stopping in my tracks. I knew it wasn’t something to do with her looks or the actual beach. I had specifically chosen this beach since my Mom always took us here when were younger.

“There are people here that both of us don’t want to see.”

I huffed and turned around. Gena was on the beach, in the skimpiest bikini I’ve ever seen, with a man that wasn’t me. My jaw dropped. How could I be so stupid?

Rylee came up behind me and grasped my hand. “I’m so sorry Zacky.” She said.

I could only stare as I watched Gena lock lips with that-that trash. Everything she told me on tour was bullshit. I was such a dumbest. Gena was a bitch. God I was stupid. How could I not for see this happening? The missed calls. The unanswered texts. God I was stupid.

“Come on Zack, let’s just go home,” Rylee pulled my hand in the direction of the car. I ripped it from her grasp.

“I’m not going to the fucking car. Not yet.” I hissed. I gasped and stared as I stalked towards to Gena and her piece of shit. I was done.

“I’m done.” I interrupted the two ‘love bird’s’ make up session. I was disgusted. Gena looked absolutely petrified that I was there. The dude looked confused. I didn’t care.

“Zacky-”

“Save it. You have two days to get your shit outta my house, or else it’s going on the curb.” I growled.

“Zack, it-it isn’t what you think.” She wined.

“I don’t care Gena. Get out of my life.”

“How can you do this to me when you cheated on me?”

“What the hell?” I yelled, “I have never cheated on you. Ever. Why in the hell did you think that? All I ever wanted was you.” My voice got quieter, more painful in it.

“You didn’t want to get married. You’re on tour. We haven’t had sex in over two months. You’re lonely. Hell, I’m lonely.” She screamed, “What was I supposed to think? You’re never around!”

“That I loved you,” I told her, my voice still angry, but calm and filled with pain. “I loved you. Nice to know you returned the favor.”

And I walked away. “Come on,” I said to a stunned Rylee.

“Zacky!” Gena called after me. “This isn’t over!”

“Fuck you Gena!” I yelled, getting glares from all the mothers of small children. “Two days, Gena. Two days.”

She continued to scream after me, but I kept going on. Rylee and I got in the car and I sped off.

This wasn’t worth it. Six years. Six fucking years of my life wasting on a little conniving bitch. She wasn’t like this. She had changed too. It was the money. It had to be. When I met her when Waking the Fallen came out, she was the complete opposite.

I pulled into the driveway of my Mom’s house. Matt, my brother, was sitting on the swing on the front porch, waiting for us probably. We were all meeting up at my Mom’s place for dinner, my other sister included, but I couldn’t go now. I needed to be alone.

“Tell Mom that I can’t make it and I’m sorry.” I told Rylee, trying not to growl.

“Zacky, I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” She said placing her hand on mine.

I shook it off and gripped the steering wheel, my knuckles turning white. “Just tell her. Please.”

She nodded. “I will, I love you Zacky.”

I didn't reply as she got out and went sat next to Matt. I glared at the grass for a few moments and pulled out of the drive way. At least somebody did.
♠ ♠ ♠
Part 2 coming up soon!