Georgia

fifteen

" I hate life, " Matt says to his friend rather bluntly. His friend nods in agreement. " I hate people. " His friend also nods in agreement to this. " If I kill myself, will you join me? " His friend nods, but looks curiously at him. " I'm not going to do it, really, " Matt continues. " It's just nice to know you're here for me and all. " His friend looks back up, his eyes searching the stars. Matt looks over at him, trying to figure out what might be going on in his head.
" I slept with her again. "
" I'm sorry? " Matt asks, not sure if he heard him correctly.
" You heard me, " he replies softly.
" Oh, wow, " he laughs. " Really? How'd that go? "
" I don't know yet. "
"Jules broke up with me."
"What?" his friend sits up, looking over at him in shock.
"Yeah," Matt says, closing his eyes. "Yeah, last week actually."
"Why didn't you tell me?!"
"You were dealing with your own problems, I guess."
"Matt, but this is... " his friend tries to think of a word.
"She said," he swallows, a tear sneaking down the side of his head, running into his hair. "She said she didn't love me anymore. She said she hasn't for awhile."
"Are you serious?"
"She said I was keeping things from her, and that I was being distant and wouldn't talk to her. And," his voice quivers. "She said she's been seeing someone else." His friend looks at him, not even sure what to think. "So she's going to New York with him."
"Oh my god," his friend breathes. "Really?"
"Yeah."
"Who is it?"
"Some guy named Tyler."
"I can't believe this."
"I know."
"How long has she been..."
"Apparently awhile. She wouldn't tell me."
"I'm so sorry. man," his friend falls back beside him, letting out a sad breath.
Matt doesn't say anything, his eyes opening to the stars above, blurred by the tears in his eyes.