Status: Check out my new story: Two Worlds Collide|| Stats for SCRM: Readers: 608; Subscribers: 116; Comments: 103

She Can't Read Minds

you know something's absolutely remarkable

“When did you and your husband meet?” Markus asked Emma while we sat at the table off to the side of the restaurant. They took us to Wendy’s and offered to buy us hamburgers. Little did they know, it’s my favorite place to eat. I sat beside Markus who had been holding my hand since we left the movie theater and the elderly couple sat a cross from us. They were funny; just what I wanted to be like when I reached their age. Emma gazed up at the ceiling in thought.

“We were neighbors, but my family had to moved to Vermont. Junior year, I believe it was. Then I reached the point where I could move out and stand firmly on my own two feet. We bumped into each other one day and,” Emma smiled at her husband as he ordered for us all, “here we are today with two lovely children and a grandson.” She focused back onto us and her eyes nearly glowed with happiness. “Hard to believe, isn’t it?”

“Maybe a little.” Markus shrugged.

Emma chuckled, patting Markus’s hand which rested on the table. “That’s when you know something’s absolutely remarkable.” I nodded to her, accepting the tray of sodas from Jerry. He settled the other tray with the actually food onto the table. Markus handed me my hamburger and I handed him his soda. Emma gushed over us. “Come on, Jerry, don’t you see it?”

“Can’t say I do, Emma.” Jerry chuckled, patting his wife’s hand with a look as if she was crazy. I smiled as she swatted at him. They were perfect for her each other; you could just feel it and see it. “But there is something I’ll agree with you on,” Emma narrowed her eyes at her husband cautiously, “Miranda here is almost as pretty as you were back then.”

“Markus here isn’t nearly as cute as you were.” She smiled at her husband sweetly before glancing toward me and Markus and mouthed, “Psych.” We chuckled, trying to hide it from the oblivious elderly man eating his hamburger. Jerry glared at his wife playfully. “I’m kidding, hun, well, sort of. You were, and this young man is, handsome.” I slowly drank my soda, observing the way the two acting to each other.

Markus glanced at me and smiled. “How long do you think they’ll be like that?” He whispered, watching the two a cross from us pick on each other jokingly. Like age meant nothing to them. I shrugged my shoulders. “We should probably leave soon. School tomorrow, remember?”

“Yeah, I don’t wanna go though.” I groaned, resting my head on his shoulder.

“You have to.”

“You can’t make me.”

“I’ll pick you up in the morning then.” He said before grabbing my hand. I bit my lip, feeling my cheeks warm as he told the kind couple we had to leave. They asked if we needed a ride back home but Markus decided we’d just walk instead. It was freezing cold outside but the walk should be short. “I wonder what they thought after they noticed I was gone.” He said once we reached the sidewalk and restaurant was behind us.

“They’re probably pissed.” I tugged my coat and his sweatshirt closer to me. Damn freezing cold weather. His hand kept mine warm though. Markus shrugged, running a hand through his hair. “Do you think they know it’s me you’re with?”

“Nah, but they probably think it.”

“Well, if you find me all bloody and bruised one day, you’ll know why.” I told him.

He chuckled, swinging our hands and telling me, “I’m here. I’ll protect ya.”
♠ ♠ ♠
awwwwwwwww

but a sorta sucky ending. :( what are you thoughts?

"Okay, well, that's confusing. Uh, LETS TALK DOUGHNUTS!"--my biology teacher. :)