Status: Check out my new story: Two Worlds Collide|| Stats for SCRM: Readers: 608; Subscribers: 116; Comments: 103

She Can't Read Minds

gotta move on

Markus

I scrunched up my face, watching Miranda follow my sister out into the hallway. Leslie caught my eye as she closed the door; it held something that confused me. Well, okay, maybe I knew exactly what she was trying to do. She was gonna tell Miranda to go after some other guy. Sitting amongst Miranda’s blankets and pillows, I watched my hands in my lap. Nellie was staring at me like I was the last piece of meat and she was a hungry lion. She was gorgeous, like I told Miranda before. Griffin was handsome, like I’d heard Leslie babble about so much after we met them. He didn’t seem welcoming and friendly to me though. “So, Markus, who was that? Friend? Girlfriend maybe?” She spoke the past few words quickly.

Am I dreaming? I looked around. Nope, so she’s not. “We’re neighbors.” Griffin glanced over his shoulder at me as he started before the television. Did I suddenly catch your interest, I thought. She’s my girl…but she’s not. “Just neighbors. Barely friends. Really nothing to each other.” Nellie mouthed ‘oh’ with a smirk. “She’s just Leslie’s best friend…that‘s it.” I stared off into space, sounding dull.

“That’s nice,” Nellie sat down at the end of the bed, “leaves you off to spend time with other people; more importantly other girls.” I watched her bat her eyelashes at me, attempting to be cute. Maybe she has a point there. Maybe I should move on from Miranda; it’s clear nothing’s gonna become of chasing after her from a distance. Spending all my time conjuring up moments of us together doing anything and everything. I looked at Nellie, making the brunette smile. “I wonder what they’re talking about.”

“Mhm.”

“Maybe they’re talking about Griffin,” he looked up at his sister, rolled his eyes, and focused back onto the television screen, “or you…or me.” I shrugged, not feeling like talking to her. I wanted to talk to Miranda, not Nellie. No, I’m moving on from her. Focus on Nellie, damn it. “You know what, Markus, there’s this great movie in the theaters right now. I’ve been dying to see it.” She searched my face for a react to this piece of information so I raised my eyebrows, trying to pull off the: oh my god, really look. As if I cared deeply about her want to see a movie. “With the cute little mice that go on an adventure to help a couple get reunited. Too cute.”

I blinked; I can do this. “Would you like to see it then?”

She smirked, “Oh, I-” Just then Leslie came back in with Miranda who first glanced at Griffin before turning to me and smiling. She came and sat down beside me, making Leslie narrow her eyes at me like it was my fault. “Welcome back, girls.” Nellie smiled sweetly, only meeting the gaze of Miranda. Almost challenging her to break the eye contact. Miranda shifted her eyes up to the ceiling, releasing a sigh.

“So Miranda, this is Griffin and Nellie. Griffin, Nellie, this is Miranda. She’s my best friend and neighbor.” Griffin glanced over at Miranda, smiled slightly, and turned back to his television show. I looked at the girl beside me; no reaction. Leslie cleared her throat, “Say, I saw Cal downstairs, why don’t I go get him? We can do something together then as a large family.” Everyone grumbled answers as Leslie sprinted down the stairs for the innocent one. I almost forgot he was even here.

“Miranda. We were planning on seeing a movie sometime, would you like to join us?” Nellie invited, flickering her hand in a carefree motion. Her face scrunched up in confusion as thoughts ran past her eyes. What had Leslie told her? After a few moments of silence and the gathering of everyone’s attention, Miranda formed a small smile and nodded. Nellie clapped her hands together excitedly. “It’s the cartoon one with the mice.”

“Oh, yeah, I heard of that one. Looks cute.” I looked at her and she turned to me with a forced smile. Why does she suddenly seem…off? Leslie giggled with who had to be Cal behind her. They were both grinning.
♠ ♠ ♠
failuuuure ):

my little one is upset and the other wants to move on.
here's a question: do you guys think nellie and leslie planned to have them all see a movie ahead of time? was it just a coincidence markus and miranda liked each other-for miranda, started to like or did leslie know? hmmm. even the questions seem like a fail. :/

i'm planning on writing another chapter for this one-maybe the normal length these chapters fall into being or shorter(gasp). but i'm writing a new story. :)