Status: only one chapter left! :)

Took The Keys

afternoon before

The final bell blared just as my English teacher finished her speech on college essays.

“Study the notes! There’ll be a practice essay tomorrow!” she shouted over the shuffling papers and chattering students.

I gather my own papers quickly before stuffing the corresponding binder into my backpack. I walked out the door, backpack in tow.

Rushing down the hallway to my locker, I looked around trying to spot them. I got all the way to my locker without even a glimpse of my best friends.

I sighed as I turned my combination before starting to put my various books into my locker.

Suddenly, there were two hands on my shoulders and a face next to mine.

“Guess who,” a deep voice said as he kissed my cheek.

I jumped in surprise. “Joey! You scared me!” I said, turning around to face him. I smacked his shoulder lightly. “You know not to do that!”

Joey laughed, closing his brilliant blue eyes. “I don’t mean to, Sophie,” he said, pulling me in close for a hug.

“Jeez, Soph! Do you always have to do that?” another voice asked, approaching us.

Joey chuckled. “Of course she does, Ryan. She’s a feminist, remember?” he replied, bumping fists with our best friend.

Ryan shook his head with a grin. “Right, right.”

“You’d think you’d remember after a few years, Ryan,” I said, pulling books that I needed out of my locker.

“Yeah, like your grade,” he replied.

“Uh-huh, so what’s my grade?” I asked, smirking as I pushed the books into my backpack.

Ryan was silent, trying to remember. “Isn’t it….junior year?” he finally said.

I closed my locker with a clang. “Good job! You got it right for once!” I exclaimed, sarcastically.

Ryan rolled his eyes. “Yeah, yeah.”

Joey chuckled at our little exchange. “How often must you two go through this?”

“Until he gets it correct right away,” I replied.

“Whatever,” Ryan said.

Joey looked between us. “And you two are siblings?”

“Just like you’re our best friend,” Ryan replied.

I was just about to add to the statement when a loud voice powered over the hallway chatter.

"Hey, baby!" my boyfriend, Zeke, shouted.

I turned to face him with a grin. "Hey, Zeke!"

Zeke pulled me into his arms before giving me a huge kiss on the lips. "How've you been, babe?" he asked.

"Good, of course," I said with a grin.

I kissed him back as he set me down on the ground.

"Are you going to Kraggerman's party with me?" he asked, ignoring my sibling and best friend.

"No, it's Friday and you know that's my free day, silly," I replied.

"Okay, I'll see you on Saturday then," he said abruptly, before giving me the most intense kiss he had ever given me.

I didn't reply as he walked away. "What was that about?" I asked myself, touching my lips in surprise.

"That was so PDA, woman," Ryan said, once Zeke was out of ear-shot.

“Oh, shush it, you,” I replied, breaking out of my trance.

“You,” he countered.

“You!” I answered, poking him.

“You!”

Joey shook his head and pushed us towards the door. “You two are quite the pair.”

We ignored him as we kept up with our charade. Once we were in view of Joey’s truck, I ran towards it.

“You!!” I shouted before jumping into the cab and slamming the door.

“That doesn’t mean you win!” Ryan shouted at me. “You!”

I glared at him. “You, sir, lose the game.”

Ryan glared right back at me after that and pulled the door handle. “You are a dead girl now.”

I looked at him with wide eyes, anticipating what he was going to do. “Don’t you dare!”

Ryan grinned evilly before reaching for me. He started tickling me as Joey laughed and started the truck. “Do you surrender?” he asked me.

I was laughing so hard I barely managed to get an answer out. “Never!”

“Okay, then,” he replied, tickling me even more.

Joey chuckled at us before stepping in and tickling Ryan’s side.

Ryan jumped in surprise before turning on Joey and glaring at him. “You’re next!”

“You have to catch me first!” Joey taunted as he ran around the truck and jumped into the driver’s seat.

I readjusted in my seat before closing my door and locking it. I stuck my tongue out at Ryan as he tried to get the door open.

“Okay, okay, but you owe me a hug, missy!” he shouted through the glass.

I laughed before unlocking the door and jumping down. “Fine, bro.”

Ryan opened his arms before giving me a hug. “See you later, kiddo.”

I hugged him back before getting back into the truck. “Wait, aren't you gonna come with us to the beach?"

"Nope, old lady Richardson gave me a huge project."

"Okay, guess I'll see you at home."

"Bye, bro," I said, climbing back into the truck.

“See ya, Ry!” Joey called across me.

He waved in response and headed across the parking lot to his car.

I looked at Joey. “So, it’s Friday.”

He looked back over at me with a grin. “Beach day?”

“Beach day.”

The first time my brother and I had met Joey, it was at an old beach that Mom had found before she had married Dad. Ever since one of us had been able to drive, we stopped pestering our parents and drove down to the beach ourselves every Friday. Especially after Mom died.

I slid across the old upholstery and clipped the center seatbelt. I laid my cheek on his shoulder.

Through the windshield glass, I saw him smile before I felt him kiss the top of my head.

He started the truck and began the trip through the after-school traffic.

Once we made it onto our favorite country road, I reached over and turned the radio on.

“…of all the things I still remember, summer's never looked the same, the years go by and time just seems to fly, but the memories remain…”

Joey chuckled. “Isn’t that our song?”

I grinned softly. “Yeah,” I replied before humming along with the song.

I must have fallen asleep during the three hour drive because the next thing I knew, Joey was gently shaking me.

“Wake up, Soph. We’re almost there,” he whispered.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

I smiled sleepily before moving over the passenger seat and flipping the visor down. “I can’t wait to get to the beach,” I said, pulling my scarlet locks into a ponytail.

“Me neither,” Joey whispered.

I crossed my arms and leaned on the windowsill, watching the scenery flash past.

Just when we saw the water come into view, Joey switched the radio off.

I turned in my seat to look at him. “Joey?”

Joey pulled the truck to edge of the sand so that it faced the water. He didn’t say a word as he turned the truck off and turned to look at me.

I looked at him with a strange look. “Joey, what’s wrong?”

“Come on,” he whispered, pushing open the door and jumping down.

I gave him another look before following him.

He climbed up onto the hood of the truck and pulled me up with him.

I crawled up next to him before leaning against the windshield. “Joey, what’s wrong?”

Joey didn’t reply as he just pulled me close, meaning he would tell me later.

I breathed in his familiar smell and looked out at the waves.

I just barely heard his whisper as I fell asleep again. “I love you, Sophie Anne.”

About five minutes to sunset, Joey gently shook me awake.

“C’mon, sleepyhead,” he whispered.

We slid off the hood carefully. I smoothed out my outfit before walking around to the back of the truck. We slipped our shoes off and threw them into the bed. I rolled up my jeans to the knee, seeing as he was smart and wore shorts, unlike me.

He took my hand as we started silently down to the water.

I released his hand when we were a few feet away and ran ahead. A couple of steps into the water freed me immediately. I closed my eyes and breathed out contently.

It was like Mom was still there again.

I opened my eyes and turned around. I walked over to Joey and held out my hand.

Joey placed his large hand in my small one and smiled softly.

I gently tugged on his hand, quietly asking him to come into the water with me.

Joey nodded and I slowly walked into the water, pulling him in behind me.

We walked in until the water was above our ankles. It was just enough to feel like I was with Mom again.

After a few minutes, Joey tugged on my hand and I turned around.

He had a light blush across his cheeks as whispered something so quickly I didn't even catch it.

"Joey, what did you say?" I asked him, looking up at him.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

I had never seen his eyes so soft and caring or his face so determined.

I took his face into my hands, tears pooling into my eye. “Joey, I love you so much, but I can’t date you now,” I whispered. “I already have a boyfriend, you know that.”

Joey’s face slowly fell as he registered what I had said. “Oh.”

The tears started to fall from my eyes. “Joey.”

He pulled away from me, turning around.

“Joey.”

“Let’s go home, Sophie,” he whispered.

“But Joey-,” I started to say,

“Home. Sophie,” he cut me off, slight anger evident in his voice as well as hurt.

I was taken aback by his behavior. I slowly followed him back to the truck and retrieved my shoes. I got into the cab before I put them back on and unrolled my jeans.

Joey grabbed his own shoes and put them on before he got into the truck.

I waited for him to start the truck before I buckled up.

However, he only sat there with the keys hanging from the ignition and his hands gripping the steering wheel, staring straight ahead.

“Joey?”

He seemed to break free from his trance and started the truck up.

I buckled up before looking over at him. “I’m sorry, Joey.” I leaned onto the windowsill again when I didn’t receive a reply.

I stayed awake the whole ride thinking about what had happened.

It was about 9 or 10 when we got home that night.

When we pulled into my driveway, I turned and looked at Joey.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Joey,” I said, starting to lean over and give his cheek a kiss.

“No.”

I paused at the abrupt statement. “What?”

“I don’t think you’ll see me tomorrow.”

I looked at him. “Joey, tomorrow’s Brandon’s birthday!” I said, reminding him of my little brother.

Joey’s face softened for a moment. “Tell the little squirt that I say happy birthday,” he said with a smile.

I took his face into my hands. “Why? Why won’t I see you tomorrow?”

Joey closed his eyes. “Sophie, go inside.”

“Joey-”

“Go inside,” he growled at me.

I back away from him as though he had burned me. “Joey?”

Go, Sophie.”

I shoved the door open in fear, grabbing my backpack. “Don’t you dare do anything stupid, Joseph Alexander McDonnell,” I whispered, quickly leaning across the seat and giving him the sweetest kiss I had ever given. I wanted so badly to stay right there, but I couldn't.

I rushed out of the truck, slamming the door before I lost my nerve and stayed with him. I ran up to the farmhouse and had just gotten my key out of my backpack when I heard his tires screech away from the house.

I turned just in time to see his truck disappear into a cloud of dust.

Just then the porch light flicked on and the front door opened to reveal Ryan in sweats and a tank.

“Soph? Where’s Joey?”

The tears began to fall as I fell into his arms.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ryan is based off of one of my closest friends and we actually do have tickle wars and the "you" battles. Adding him to this actually helped me finish this after like a week.

Comment please? <3

Hopefully, this will be the only chapter this long ;)