Status: Based off of Blow Me Away and inspired by Overcome The Adversity

Drop The Puck, It's Time To Go

Famous For Nothing

Image


“That will be $4.50.” I looked down at the four dollars I had in my hand and sighed. I miscalculated the price of my order at Dunkin Donuts and sadly had to stuff my hand deep into the abyss that was my bag to find two quarters.
“C’mon…” I muttered to my bag. “Don’t have all day…” I could hear the jiggling of change at the bottom of my bag but for some reason I couldn’t find it. I gritted my teeth and went on a mad hunt using my hand before victoriously I grasped a fist full of change. Pulling it out in victory I slapped my two quarters on the counter and made a getaway with my food before the little old lady with the fluffy white hair began to beat me with her cane for being so slow. Exiting the Dunkin Donuts, I was met with a blast of nasty late December wind, nearly taking my poor French cruller with it. “No, not my donut!” I hissed, stuffing it into my bag and kept a good grip on my hot coffee. Thank god my brother got me this amazing Boston Bruins tote bag for Christmas. Not only did it look sick, it fit everything you can think of plus.
Except for the kitchen sink…already tried that.
Just kidding! Ok, I’ll stop my corny jokes. I wrapped my Bruins scarf tighter around my face as I pushed my self into the wind, tromping through some snow to attempt to cross the street to my apartment. I made a run for it, finding a break in traffic and got myself to the front door of the apartment. But I wasn’t the only one who took up residence here. My entire front door and stairs were encased with black ice.
And I figured it out the hard way.
Bolting up the stairs my boots lost all grip and I found myself flailing around.
“AHHH!” I cried, slamming down hard on my ass on the top step at the front door, coffee completely immersed into the bush, the hot liquid melted the snow on and around it. “Son of a bitch! That cost me $4.50!”
“Roxy…?” I turned my head to see my brother standing there all bundled up himself. Oh, he must have just come back from his interview with a local architect. Oh hey…he found my lying on the icy, cold, concret steps on my ass swearing at a cup of coffee. Empty one at that. I sent a smile and a wave at my brother.
“Hey Ben. Don’t mind me, I momentarily forgot about New England winters and how ice can come out of nowhere.” I pulled my self off the ground and brushed off the snow that had clung to me.
“Clearly…that was a nice wipe out though! Definitely worthy of AFV.” I sent a glare at my brother.
“Please tell me you didn’t video tape that and plan on sending it into America’s Funniest Home Videos…” Ben sent a mischievous smile at me, making him looked much younger than his twenty-six years. “BENJAMIN MCGREGOR, I’M GOING TO END YOU!” Ben bounced away from me as I charged down the steps with a fist raised, slipping on the ice again… “ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?”
“Karma sis…karma.” I glared up at my brother.
“How is it karma when you taped me falling?” My brother began to laugh, slapping his knee.
“I was just kidding Roxanne. Calm down! Jeeze, being a red head and Massachusetts born really doesn’t help that attitude. You bring MassHole to a whole level.” I got up, glowering at the fact that I just ran right into yet another one of my lovely older brother’s antics.
“And damn proud of that!” I said. “Look where it got me.”
“A college drop out forced to live in her brother’s apartment and work nights at the TD Banknorth Garden filling the water buckets and bottles? Should you be proud of that?” I rolled my eyes as I unlocked the door and proceeded into the complex, heading towards the elevator to reach our apartment.
“Besides that Ben.”
“A good friend of the entire Boston Bruins team? Sister of Brad Marchand, Patrice Bergeron, and Johnny Boychuk? Girlfriend of the famed Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask?” The few people in the bottom floor of the complex picked their heads up and looked around. I smacked my brother and hissed at him.
“Are you a moron? Don’t go blabbering this shit around, it hasn’t even been a fucking month. We just started dating! And I don’t think I want the apartment complex knowing I’m connected to the Bruins…you know what would happen? Everyone will start clambering all over me hoping to be able to meet the team.” Ben rubbed his arm where I hit him.
“Ok, ok, ok, calm down. No need to get violent.”
“I’m a McGregor and a Massachusetter…I’m born violent.” I said, smiling at him and entering the elevator and feeling myself get carried to our floor.

*****

“Roxy! We need your opinion on something!” As I finished strapping on my hockey skates, I looked up at Milan Lucic.
“And what is it, oh Lucic?” I asked.
“Who is so ugly, they make small children cry?”
“What!?” I asked.
“Don’t question, just answer!” David Krejci said, skating over with Lucic. I crossed my arms.
“Where is the tie? For obviously you wouldn’t be asking me if there was no tie.”
“Chara and Marchand.” Lucic answered.
“OH THAT IS EASY!” I cried. “MARCHAND! DEFINITELY MARCHAND!”
“We have a winner!” Lucic called.
“Was it Chara!?” Marchand asked, skating around the goal after taking a practice shot at Rask (who easily stopped it) eyes gleaming like a little child.
“Oh you only wish.” Krejci commented. Marchand looked at Krejci then turned to me.
“YOU VOTED ME!?” I got up and stepped out on the ice, stick in hand.
“Yes, I did. Call it payback for all the times you sang Roxanne to me.”
“But I haven’t made a child cry! Children love me!”
“You pedophile!” Krejci stated. Marchand came skating over and checked Krejci into the board.
“Ha, in your face you stupid Czech.” I got on the ice and made a beeline for Marchand’s open side, sending him flying off his skates, into the boards, and onto the ice.
“Ha, in your face you stupid Canadian.”
“Oww…” Marchand groaned from the ice. Blake Wheeler came over and started to smack him with his hockey stick.
“Get up you stupid pussy.”
“You don’t understand…that girl can really check.” Marchand uttered, rolling around in his practice gear, hugging his stomach.
“That’s only because you’re a fragile man and can’t take a hit.” I said, extending my hand. “C’mon, let’s get off the ice.”
“No, I refuse to take your hand!” Marchand snapped. “You’re the reason I’m down here!” I dropped my hand.
“Whatever. Fine, just lie on the ice like a retard.” I then skated away towards Rask who pushed his helmet up onto his forehead as I approached.
“Nice check.” He said. I stopped in front of him and took the opportunity I had to kiss him.
“Hey, c’mon guys, during practice? Really?” I gave Wheeler the finger and he skated off grumbling. I turned back to Tuuk and kissed him again before talking.
“Thanks for the compliment. I’ve been dying to check him for a long time.”
“Hey!” Marchand snapped, he had just skated behind the net and sent me a glare. I ignored it and paid more attention to Tuuk.
“It was a long time coming, by the way, how’s your brother taking to you moving out?” I sighed as I moved away from Tuuk, taking my stick and pushing a lone puck around in front of me.
“I haven’t told him yet. I’ll probably tell him tonight. He’s going to be sad, that I know. But he’s going to be ok with it deep down cause he trusts you.” I slapped the puck around Tuuk and watched it hit the back of the net. I held my hands up in victory as I skated backwards. “And Roxanne McGregor just scored on Tuukka Rask.” Tuuk fished the puck out of the goal and slapped it down the rink, hitting Marchand in the back of the knee. He whipped around.
“Hey! What the hell!? Who did that!?” Everyone ignored him, and I just skating back towards Rask.
“You only managed to by standing there like a distraction.” He stated.
“Excuses, excuses.” I stated, shaking my head, fishing out another puck. “How about let’s try it again with you more focused.” Rask pulled his helmet down.
“Doesn’t sound bad to me.” He said, dropping into position. The guys gathered around.
“This is going to be interesting…” Krejci commented.
“Roxanne’s going to score. Guaranteed.” Boychuk commented.
“I’m with you there Johnny!” Bergeron called from the other side.
“I’m not siding with her, she checked me.” Marchand stated, crossing his arms.
“Suck it uppppp.” The whole team grumbled. I got out of my concentration and slapped my hockey stick in annoyance on the ice.
“You guys are ruining my concentration.”
“Hey, how do you think we feel when we have fans staring down at us yelling? This is how we feel! Can you feel he stress Roxanne?” Boychuk commented, leaning on his stick. I looked at him.
“No, I just feel annoyance.”
“Hey, are we going shoot or not?” Tuuk called from by the goal. I smacked whoever was closest to me to get them to shut up before finally hitting the ice, and pushing off, effortlessly taking the puck with me. Tuuk was watching my every moment, being prepared for anything. With a plan forming in my head, I skated harder, ready to put it in action. Tuuk backed up completely, blocking all entry and I faked a shot left, causing him to react, leaving the right side open. I quickly skidded, turning around and taking a back shot to the open side. The puck slid underneath the tiny opening that Tuuk’s leg left and slid over the line into the goal. I skated away with my stick up in the air.
“SCORE!!” I cried in victory, the boys cheering from my starting point. Tuuk smacked the puck out of his goal and sent back down towards the guys, this time hitting Marchand on the knee.
“Ow!” He snapped. He pointed at my man. “It was you the last time you!”
“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Rask said back, snapping his fingers to get my attention and I skated over to him. He pushed his helmet up and pulled me into a kiss. “Nice job.” I smiled at him.
“Thanks, glad to know you aren’t bitter.” Loud clapping erupted through the rink, and everyone turned their attention to see Coach Julien and his posse of assistant coaches, Houda, Ward, and Jarvis.
“Alright boys, let’s snap to it! Rask, let go of the water girl.” Rask let me go and I quickly began to skate around picking up all the loose pucks and ready to stick them into the bag of pucks coach was going to need. I could feel Houda and Ward’s awkward stares at me as I dropped the pucks into the large bag. As you can guess, no one but the team knew about me and Rask. Won’t Coach Julien get a nice surprise. “Alright, now its time to get to practice, I see you’ve all been getting your warm-up shots in. Who’s been in goal the longest? Just Rask? Alright, I want to switch it up now with Thomas.” I droned out Coach’s talk about how severely slacking the Bruins have been in their games, loosing too many. I clomped around in my skates getting the water bottles for the boys refilled and making sure I had plenty of sticks ready, cones, pucks, you name it. I then sat on the bench and watched the guys with their practice, just waiting for Coach to come over to pick something up or drop it off. Sometimes my job was so boring I wanted to die. “Marchand, for god’s sake stop doing the Irish jig and concentrate ok? And you two stop your horrendous singing!” I put a hand over my mouth to stop from bursting out laughing at Coach’s command. Marchand was over on the edge of the rink doing some makeshift Irish step dance while Bergeron and Boychuk were singing Shipping Up To Boston. Team Canada stopped their antics and went back to doing warm up shots on Thomas while Coach began to describe ways to perfect his blocking. I then went back to daydreaming about everything. A couple days ago, Rask asked me to move in with him and I happily obliged, hell, why not? We’re both working at the same place and we’re dating. Works out wondrous! The problem was, I had to break the news to my brother who I’ve been sharing an apartment with for the past two years. He was going to be sad, for sure and it also hit me deep down. We’ve been such close siblings as kids, always together. I still remember winters where my dad would take me and him down to the pond in the woods behind our house to play hockey. Dad was in goal and he would have me and Ben shoot on him, giving us pointers here and there. I think my dad had sights on one of us getting into the NHL. Mostly Ben. But Ben liked buildings and drawings, hockey wasn’t big for him. Dad always wanted to get into the major leagues, he would tell me stories of him and his buddies practicing in the basement using an old dryer as a goal. None of them made it though, close, but never got there.
I wish my dad was still here…
“Way to look like you’re about to cry there McGregor.” I looked up too see Mark Recchi standing there, leaning on the bench divider. I smiled at Recchi.
“Old memories coming back.”
“Like what?”
“Just about my dad, miss him you know?” Recchi nodded.
“I’m sorry you had to lose him at such an important stage in your life.” I sighed.
“Thanks…it sucks way too much.” Recchi ruffled my hair.
“Well just think of it this way. You’re here, you’ve got your brother, you’re living in a kickass city, you got us, and you got Rask. You’re dad’s looking down at you probably feeling content.” I shrank away from Recchi’s hair ruffle, laughing lightly.
“That is true….that is true.”
“Alright, well I have to get back to practice, now stop looking down in the dumps ok?”
“Ok dad.” I said. He laughed and skated off. Dear Mark Recchi, did I mention that you remind me of my dad? Yeah…you do. I then began to think about how much packing I had to complete if I wanted to move into Rask’s place by tomorrow.
Dammit…I hate packing!
“Alright, I think we should end today’s practice with a scrimmage. Rask, you’re in that goal, Thomas you’re there!” Coach began to place everyone in respective positions when Marchand pointed at me.
“Hey Coach! You should get Roxy out on the ice. She’s pretty good on skates and she looks like she’s about to fall asleep!” I resisted the urge to give Marchand the finger when Coach looked at me.
“Sure why not. Roxanne, get gear on and get out on the ice. You’re going to be on Thomas’s side.” I felt like someone just handed me a million dollars.
“Sure thing Coach!” I love scrimmaging with the guys!! Well, usually it was just before practice before Coach got there, but it was hell of a good time. Couldn’t wait to get out there. When I succeed in scrounging some gear, I jumped over the bench and landed on the ice and skated over.
“Get in center McGregor.” Bergeron stated, pointing to my usual spot. I gave him a salute.
“On it.” I went in to take the face off against Krejci. “Ready to face embarrassment, oh Krej?” I asked. He whacked me with his stick.
“It’s on Roxanne, it’s on.” One of the assistants dropped the puck and I easily won it out from Krejci and sent it back too Boychuk who sent it up Bergeron. I then forgot about the outside world, Coach, my dad, my brother, and packing. Right now, it was hockey. And that’s what was all I could feel and breath right now. I was in my zone. Skating around Lucic, I easily caught a pass from Bergeron and tried to dodge Chara for the goal but he easily snagged it away, heading over to the edge.
“Oh no you don’t Zdeno!” I yelled, charging after the Czech. Zdeno had his stick raised, ready to slap it towards our end to Recchi who was lying in wait. I then slammed Chara into the boards and snagged the puck from Chara. I didn’t look back to inspect the damage I left but I could here Krejci stop and heard him mutter.
“She just took out Chara…” I then made for the goal, passing it off to Bergeron, he passed it off to Marchand, Marchand back to me. I snagged it from McQuaid and backhanded towards Tuuk-
And slide it home again.
I felt my teammates bodies smash into me and I felt myself get lost in midst of hockey boys. It was a puck bunnies dream right here! I was just thrilled I scored a goal in my scrimmage.
“HAHA! I am AWESOME!” I called, blowing Tuukka a kiss. It was something I’ve wanted to do that ever since watching rookie Erika Harper do it every time she scored. Such a nice little mocking touch.
“Let’s set up the next drop, this game is on.” Krejci yelled.

*General POV*

Coach Julien couldn’t believe what he was seeing. He looked over at Houda and the man nodded, signaling that he too was seeing what Julien was seeing. It was that moment when Roxanne slammed 6’ 9”, 255lb Zdeno Chara into the boards. Chara went down onto the ice and Roxanne just darted for the goal, not seeming to realize that she just sent down the Bruins’ biggest player, sent half the team into a tiny little shock, and just baffled four coaches. When Roxanne took that backwards shot at Rask, and slapped it into the net, Julien knew he was seeing an opportunity melt out of the woodwork. Hidden talent bursting out from within.
“She took out Chara and slid a goal past Rask.” Houda comment, shaking his head. “I didn’t think she had that in her. Hell, she’s just the water girl.”
“She doesn’t even seem to notice the effect she just had either.” Ward said, pointing at the way Roxanne was celebrating like any other player. The air kiss she sent to Rask brought up mental images of the certain Washington Capital’s player and the NHL’s biggest star.
“You think we’ve found the next Erika Harper…?” Jarvis muttered, looking at everyone. Julien rubbed his face.
“It looks like it. You always find the best of players where you least expect it.” He had his palm open, pointing out towards Roxanne, who was back in the face-off, this time against Recchi. “She was just hired on whim to be just a freaking water girl. But look at this! See how she just snatched that puck from Recchi? It was like a pro! That girl has talent inside of her.”
“The Bruins need all the help they can get to win that Cup this year…” Jarvis commented. “We need talent.”
“Imagine the support the Bruins will get if we’ve hired the ‘next one’. The publicity. More tickets will be bought for games. Especially Capitals versus Bruins. Everyone will want to see the two only woman pitted against each other.” Ward said, hitting the back of his hand on his palm. “This could be a freaking break through with us!” Julien nodded.
“Men, I hope you have nowhere to be, because I’m calling a meeting with Jeremy Jacobs. We might have our hands on the next biggest star in the league.”

*****
*Roxanne’s POV*


Snow was falling as I went for the stairs to the shared apartment. I was pulled back into the cushion of a bulky winter jacket.
“One more before I drop you on your front door step.” Tuuk said, kissing me again. I smiled and wrapped my arms around his neck, snow falling around us.
“Fine, you deserve it since I murdered your ass during that scrimmage.” Rask pulled me in tighter.
“It’s cause I let you.” I laughed.
“Bullshit! You did not! Just admit I’m a sensation!” He kissed and let me go.
“Never, now go pack you stuff so I can actually be able to see you every morning.” I smiled at him.
“Will do. But don’t come running to me when my brother kicks your ass for taking me away.” Rask rolled his eyes.
“I don’t plan on it.”
“Good. Now goodnight.”
“Goodnight Roxanne.” I entered into the apartment, pulling my hat off and brushing snow off myself.
“Was that Tuukka Rask outside!?” I jumped in surprise at the sound of a teenage boy. I turned to notice a fourteen-year-old wearing a Bruins baseball hat. Oh brother…here it goes. The boy looked at me. “You know Tuukka Rask!?” A couple of people on the bottom landing looked over at me and I just smiled and shrugged.
“Um, yeah. I do.”
“No way! Really? No way! That must mean you know all the players on the Bruins team!” The boy’s eyes were shining like I had just told him that his parents had lied and Santa really exists and that he was coming late with season tickets. “Can you get me into the locker room!? You have to know Brad Marchand then! I want him to sign my jersey!” I started to slowly back away from the crazy teen.
“I don’t think I can do that kid. I’m sorry, I don’t have that autho-”
“For goodness sakes! What is all this racket about!? Roxanne, what have you been doing?” A seventy-year-old lady came emerging from one of the elevators. I gave a wave to my neighbor, Mrs. Flanagan. She usually had me house sit her apartment when she went on her senior citizen trips out of town for days. She had two demon cats though…I don’t know how many scratches I took in my hopes to gaining some more money.
“Hi Mrs. Flanagan.”
“It’s Ms. Not Mrs. I’m a widow. Learn your grammar young Roxy.” I held my hands up.
“My bad, I’m sorry.”
“WAIT! What about me? I want to get into the Bruins locker room! You have connections! Don’t lie! I totally saw you smacking it with the goalie out there!” I hid my face in my hands and groan. Ok, it was only a matter of time before someone started seeing a Bruins goalie walking around this area and heading into this apartment. What I wasn’t expecting was for me to be the one getting heckled! Mrs (sorry, MS.) Flanagan tapped the pestering boy with her cane.
“Hush child, your blabbering nonsense!”
“Actually he isn’t…” I muttered.
“See!? Told you!” The boy yelled, pointing at me as I finished talking. Ms. Flanagan looked at me.
“I still don’t know what is being discussed out here!” I pointed to the teen.
“For two years I’ve worked at the TD Garden and have come to know the entire Bruins team.”
“The Boston Bruins? Nice one girl. Always love me some Bruins.” The old lady said with a twinkle in her eye. I would have loved to point out her mistake in grammar there but decided against it.
“Yes…the home boys. But yeah, I’ve been welcome into that dysfunctional family and just recently started dating the goalie Tuukka Rask.” Ms. Flanagan covered her mouth with her no.
“Come again! You aren’t, oh my Jesus. Why didn’t you ever tell me you knew the Bruins! You could have done a senior citizen some good and allowed her to meet some of her home team boys!” She then patted my cheek. “And I can’t believe you scored one of them! Now I’m off to go visit my fellow ladies for lunch in the North End. Boy will this be a story to tell!” With a chuckle, Ms. Flanagan walked out of the building whistling to herself, leaving me to groan. With this still blabbering teen and Mrs. Flanagan knowing my connections, I felt the whole place was going to now know.
“I can’t believe this! By the way, I’m Jordan, I live on the fifth floor! Just so you know when you feel like bringing someone to the LOCKER ROOM!” The kid, Jordan, said, following me to the elevator.
“I’ll remember that Jordan…” I said in aggravation, entering the elevator.
“Good! I wont forget you Roxanne! Despite not knowing which floor your on!” Gratefully, the door closed and I let out a huge ass sigh, leaning against the back of the elevator.
“I’ve become fucking famous for nothing.”

*****
*General POV*


Jeremy Jacobs looked at Claude Julien in skeptism.
“I’m sorry Julien but this girl has no background what so ever. She has…no history. Just…nothing. How will people, who have busted their asses to just become a prospect, react to someone who hasn’t done a drop of effort?” Doug Houda butted in.
“Mr. Jacobs, you would have been surprised to see what we saw. We saw true talent today at practice. You wouldn’t believe the way this girl plays. We have found the Bruins Erika Harper, I’m telling you.”
“It will be a selling point!” Geoff Ward said, smacking his hands together to emphasize his point. Jacobs leaned back in his chair.
“Look, I don’t know, I’m skeptical about this.”
“She checked Chara off his feet and helped her team win a scrimmage match today.” Julien said. “Trust me on this, we might have out hands on a player that can bring the Bruins closer to the Stanley Cup. Also think about the sales of tickets if we hire the second woman in the NHL. Can you imagine the publicity the Bruins would get? Especially with match up between her and Harper.” Jacobs tapped his desk with his pen.
“I’m going to go to these practices and see for myself. I’ll be the one to judge whether or not Roxanne McGregor will be the next one.”
♠ ♠ ♠
DUN DUN DUUUUN!! Ok, I'm getting so addicted to this story, now I know how MillerxKane88 feels about her's :P comments are definitely appreciated! We promise to have Roxanne and Erika meet up soon enough, but its going to be after the Winter Classic, but they will meet up! If you aren't already, please go read hers! It's amazing :D