Sequel: Hit the Books

Study

She Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way

“Well, well, well. Look who decided to return to the world of people her own age.” Jack announced loudly Bailey approached the group. She’d had a doctors’ appointment that morning and had managed to convince her mum to let her go to school that afternoon. By the time they’d gotten back from the hospital it was lunch time.
“Bailey!” People from around the group called.
“Hey guys.” Bailey said sheepishly.
“How are you?” Catherine asked.
“Yeah, I’m fine.” Bailey smiled sitting down next to Tilly. Lance was sitting next to Jack and hadn’t said a word to her since he’d gone off at her at the hospital.
“So what do you have next?” Carrie asked.
“STUDY!” Tilly squealed causing Bailey to laugh. She wondered if Mitch would move her anymore and if he did how far she could push the “I’m recovering from a car accident card”.
“Bailey, could I have a word?” Everyone’s heads snapped in the direction of the new voice. Bailey looked up and saw Vernon standing awkwardly next to her.
“Sure thing.” She mumbled slowly getting up, trying not to hurt her ribs too much. They walked a few metres away from her group and Vernon let out a sigh of relief.
“Hey.” He smiled softly.
“Hi.” Bailey replied raising an eyebrow at him.
“I’m so glad you’re ok.” He said. “Everyone was so worried.”
“Yeah, it certainly seems so.” Bailey said looking back over at her group, all of who had gone back to chatting and eating.
“Well that’s all I wanted to say. I’m glad you’re alright.” Vernon said just as the bell for fifth lesson rang throughout the school.
“Thanks Vern, that’s very nice of you.” Bailey smiled. “But I have to get to class.”
“Yeah, of course. I’ll see you in homeroom Bailey.” He said, giving her one last smile before he walked away.

Shutting her locker Bailey felt eyes staring into the back of her neck. Turning around she found Lance leaning against the lockers on the other side of the corridor.
“Hey.” She said awkwardly. She wasn’t exactly sure where they stood after the scene at the hospital.
“Hi.” Lance said quietly. They stood in silence for a few minutes and Bailey took a step towards the door.
“I wanted to apologise for what happened at the hospital, you didn’t need that then and I sure as fuck had no right to say it. If you want to be with him that’s your choice.” Lance said quickly. “I’m not saying I condone it, I never will but if he makes you happy that’s all I want for you.” Bailey didn’t really know what to say.
“In short, I’m sorry for having a go at you at the hospital about the whole thing. It has nothing to do with me.” Lance said sincerely.
“Well that’s a surprise but thanks Lance. It means a lot and I am so grateful that you’re not going to go to the cops.” Bailey said, finding her voice at last.
“For some reason he makes you happy and I don’t really have a choice but to respect that.” Lance sighed looking at the ground. Bailey tugged on his sleeve causing him to look up.
“You’ll always be one of my best friends.” She smiled before pulling him into a hug. She felt him hug her back tightly.
“As great as this hug is, we have to go to study.” Bailey laughed detangling herself from Lance’s arms.
“You just want to see your boyfriend.” He smirked.
“Maybe I do.” Bailey chuckled poking her tongue out at him.

They arrived at study ten minutes late and found the class in silence. Lance went in first and took a seat next to Tilly. Bailey walked in after him and felt all the eyes in the room on her.
“See I told you she was back.” Terry said, staring accusingly at Jonah.
“Welcome back Bailey, it’s good to see you back here.” Mitch said with a smile, from his desk. “Please take a seat. I trust you remember there is no talking.” Bailey nodded and took the empty seat next to Lance. As usual she’d brought chemistry to work on. Bailey had no idea how she was going to make up for all her lost time in that class.
“Can I borrow a sharpie?” Bailey asked Lance quietly.
“Bailey Beats, first day back and already getting moved. Desk in front of mine. Now!” Mitch smirked.
“You have got to be kidding me!” Bailey choked.
“No, you were talking, move.” Bailey picked up her stuff and moved to the desk he had indicated. She glared at him and slumped back in her seat.
“Back to work then.” Mitch mocked, making Bailey want to slap him.
“Fucking prick.” She mumbled before going back to her chemistry book.

The final bell rang throughout the school and the class rushed out the door. Bailey, Tilly and Lance legged it to the door, trying to get out of the room and go home as quickly as possible.
“Bailey! A word please?” Mitch called from his desk. Bailey groaned loudly and watched as Tilly and Lance walked away with Cheshire cat grins on their faces.
“Yes?” she asked coldly, turning around to face him.
“Shut the door please.” He instructed. Bailey did as she was told and set her books on the table closest to her.
“Really Mitch? Move me on my first day back?” Bailey asked walking over to him.
“Hey, you were talking.” Mitch shrugged. “How was the first day back? Are you all ok?”
“Yeah, I’m fine.” Bailey smiled. “Is this the only reason you asked me to stay back? Because seriously, you could have just called me.”
“No, I actually wanted to ask you something.” Mitch said quietly, sitting on the edge of his desk.
“Ok then.” Bailey said slowly, getting suspicious of her boyfriends sudden change in behaviour.
“Bailey, you know I love you right?” Mitch asked. Bailey nodded but kept her mouth shut.
“And I know you love me. Yes?” he continued. Again, Bailey nodded but said nothing.
“Well I was wondering if, after you’ve finished year twelve and it’s all done, you would like to move in with me?” he mumbled the last part so fast and quiet that Bailey could only just understand it. She stood there shocked and let everything sink in. Her boyfriend of nearly a year had just asked her to move in with him and his kids. Her study teacher had just asked her to move in with him.
“Bailey? You ok?” Mitch asked, waving his hand in front of her face.
“What? Oh yeah. I’m fine.” She smiled.
“So, what do you think?” Mitch asked awkwardly.
“I’d love to.” Bailey smiled.
“Really?” Mitch said excitedly.
“Yes.” Bailey squealed. Mitch picked her up and pulled her close to him, kissing her hard on the lips.

Bailey smiled to herself, of the so many things in the world she was uncertain about there were a few things of which she was certain. One, she was in love with her study teacher. Two, she was moving in with him at the end of the year. And three, she wouldn’t have it any other way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well that's the last chapter of 'Study'. Thanks to all who read it, and continued to read it throughout its duration, commented and posted ideas for it. You guys are awesome!