Sequel: Hit the Books

Study

Hey You

“Bailey! Get back on that couch!” Mrs Beats yelled from the kitchen and Bailey mentally kicked herself for finding one of the creaky floorboards.
“But I just want to go for a walk. How will I be able to get better if you don’t let me leave the house?!” Bailey asked impatiently. She’d been cooped up inside for the past week and it was driving her mad.
“But what if you collapse again?” Mrs Beats said nervously, walking into the hallway wringing a tea towel between her hands.
“I only collapsed because I got out of bed and the drip fell out.” Bailey mumbled.
“I still don’t understand why you would be so stupid as to get out of bed after you were in a car crash!” Bailey felt herself cower in her mother’s disapproval.
“Please. I won’t be gone too long. I need fresh air!” Bailey begged putting on her best puppy dog face.
“Fine, an hour, no more and stay close to home.” Mrs Beats called after her daughter but Bailey was out the door as soon as she said ‘fine’.

“I’ve never been so happy to be outside.” Bailey smiled lying on the grass. She’d walked for about twenty minutes before she got tired and had come to the park.
“I’ve never been so happy to be outside either.” A voice said from her left. Bailey smiled at the approaching form of Mitch Watson.
“Hey you.” She giggled as he lay down beside her.
“Hey yourself.” He murmured before pressing his lips softly against hers. Bailey wrapped her arms around his neck and felt him wrap his arms around her waist.
“I’ve missed you so much.” he whispered in her ear.
“I’ve missed you too.” Bailey said pecking him on the cheek. “But I have to ask. Has Lance been acting differently towards you recently?” She hadn’t told Mitch that Tilly and Lance knew, or about her ex-boyfriend’s plan to go to the police.
“They both came and saw me.” Mitch sighed.
“Oh god.” Bailey groaned.
“It’s ok Bails, don’t stress yourself. Tilly pretty much told me not to hurt you and how much you mean to her. Lance on the other hand told me that if I ever hurt you, or even make you cry in the slightest, he will call the cops and make sure I’m sent to jail.” Mitch explained. “Quite an interesting talk really. They both really care about you, though in different ways. You know Lance still likes you right?”
“Yeah, I know.” Bailey mumbled sadly. She wasn’t planning on telling him about how Lance had kissed her, not that that moment anyway.
“Don’t worry Bails. I’m not going anywhere.” Mitch promised kissing her forehead.
“Good.” Bailey smiled clinging on to him with no intention to let go.

They lay like that for what felt like hours, in a comfortable silence just listening to the world around them. The silence was only broken when Bailey’s phone started ringing.
“Oh shit, I’m in trouble.” She mumbled pulling it out of her pocket and checking the caller ID. Sure enough the screen was flashing with the word ‘HOME’.
“Hello?” she sighed.
“WHERE ARE YOU?! I SAID AN HOUR! WHY AREN’T YOU HOME YET?!” her mother’s worry laced voice shrieked.
“Sorry, I fell asleep at the park. I’m on my way.” Bailey apologised.
“GET HOME NOW!” Mrs Beats cried before hanging up.
“Lovely woman my mother.” Bailey mumbled getting up from the grass and stretching her arms over her head.
“She’s just worried about you.” Mitch laughed mimicking her actions and standing up.
“Shouldn’t you be marking some school work?” Bailey asked poking her tongue out at him.
“I thought seeing my girlfriend for the first time since she came out of hospital a week ago was more important.” Mitch shrugged.
“Aww aren’t you are good boyfriend.” Bailey cooed.
“You’re teasing will get you in trouble one day, I hope you know that.” Mitch sighed, rolling his eyes.
“Yeah, I know.” Bailey smiled. “I’ll catch you later.”
“Text me when you get home ok? Make sure you’re still alive.” Mitch smirked. Bailey flipped him off only to have him grab her hand and pull her flush against his body. He smiled down at her before covering her mouth with his own.
“Ok now I really have to go, otherwise she’ll kill me!” Bailey chuckled when they broke apart.
“Don’t forget to text me!” Mitch called after her as she made her way home