Status: Pre-Production

Blue Skies and Butterflies

02

John didn’t waste time in bothering me about calling her. It took him about two weeks to get me annoyed enough to pick up the phone and call. I, of course, only waited long enough for her to say a questioning ‘hello’ before I quickly hung up. John called me chicken for another two weeks before I finally got up enough nerve to wait for her greeting and then to respond. And, following that, it took another week for me to ask her on a date. I’d never been this nervous around a girl. It was so different for me feeling as though I had no idea what to do. So as I prepared for my date with her I also prepared for how awkward it was bound to be thanks to how nervous I was over the phone.

&&

“You look beautiful,” I said nervously. She smiled thanks and smoothed her hands over the dark purple blouse she was wearing. “So, um…” what was I supposed to say? This was horrible. I had no idea how to function around a girl that made me nervous.

“We’re seeing Austin Gibbs today right?”

I nodded as I reached to open her door and let her in my car. “I thought the coffee shop concert would be fun. But we can, um, we don’t have to go if you don’t want to,” I rambled softly.

“No,” she shook her head and gave me a smile, “I’ve heard good things about him. I’m excited to give him a listen.”

“Yea, he’s pretty good.” By now I was in the car but by no means were things getting better. By the time we got into town I’d managed to say ‘um’ about fifteen times. I called my brother Josh, Jared and five other J names before I got to John. She’d told me to calm down at least twice. And, to top off all the dumb nervous things I’d done up to that point I nearly rear ended another car. Luck was not on my side.

“Stephen, relax. You’re doing quite well on this first date. And, I’ll have you know, I happen to think you’re pretty cute. Just be yourself. The you I met and talked to on the phone. I like that version of you not this up tight version.”

I laughed, or at least tried to. “I’ll try,” I said as we pulled into downtown. She smiled looking around as we got out. “What’s your all time favorite color?”

She smiled and let out a laugh, “I’d have to say teal would be my favorite by far,” she answered. “But I could go for purple. What about you? What’s Stephen Gomez’ favorite color?”

I shrugged, “um, probably blue. I’m not really into picking colors too time consuming,” I reasoned.

“And yet you’ve picked on,” she pointed out as her finger pocked at my chest. I looked down and laughed as I realized I was wearing a blue shirt. Well, that was just dandy. “But it’s good, it looks good on you.”

“Thanks.”

I held the door open as we walked in and we soon found a seat. It didn’t take long for Austin to finally get his ass out on stage and, as he usually did, he took a drink of his beer before he started his set. He was good, that’s what Maddie said. He even got around to playing All By Yourself, her favorite song. She swayed to the beat singing along looking back at me and laughing with a smile.

“You sing beautifully,” I told her. I watched the blush rise against her cheeks. “You should go sing with him,” I suggested.

“No, no I couldn’t do that. I’m not..no,” she said quickly. Her head shook back and forth as she spoke sending her hair flying in every direction She laughed running her fingers through it to calm it down again before looking back at Austin. “Besides, I’m not sure if he’d play any other song I really know,” she added.

“What other songs do you know?”

“I Like the Ones, and Jessica,” she said with a shrug. “And he’s already played Jessica,” she added.

“I’ll be right back,” I said getting up. I waved Austin over but Maddie seemed determined to make me sit down. Her hand raced for my arm pulling me back.

“Stephen, don’t!” She giggled violently as she pulled me back and I waved him off. I’d have to explain later. “You’re sweet but I’m not going to sing a song with him,” she stated again. I rolled my eyes playfully but went back to listening instead of trying to get her up there. By the end of the concert I could tell she was having a wonderful time. And if I couldn’t tell she must have told me about twenty times during the concert that she was having a great time.

“Where to now?” I asked as we started into the heat of Arizona. The sun was going down so I doubted it would stay this hot for too much longer. It didn’t matter to me anyways. Her father had been pretty strict about having her home by midnight and I doubted anywhere I would go would be open past midnight anyway. I looked over at her as she seemed to be thinking of what she wanted to do.

“Let’s just walk, look at the stars and be teenagers,” she said. Her wound her fingers through mine and we started walking. It was strange to think that not but a month or so ago and I wouldn’t have known her. If it wasn’t for us being late and me rear ending her car I wouldn’t have gotten her number. The thought of our “past” made me smile. “What?”

“Huh? Oh, I was just thinking about how we met,” I admitted.

“You know, the car accident thing doesn’t usually get me. I’m glad we did this. This is the most normal date I’ve had in a long while,” she told me. “Okay, so tell me, did my dad scare the crap outta you?”

“I have never been so terrified of a father. He showed me his gun collection. Does he normally do that to your dates?”

She shrugged. I doubted she would know since she was still getting ready when I first arrived. “I’m sorry. I should’ve warned you it just slipped my mind,” she said.

“Don’t worry. My dad’s the same way with my younger sister when she dates. And when he’s not there my brother and I take over that job. It’s kinda becoming a family tradition.”

She laughed with a shake of her head. “Some things never change.”

I looked at my watch and sighed, “I better get you home. I told your dad I’d have you home early,” I said. She nodded and we started towards the car. By the time we got to her house it was nearly 11:30 and there were shadows in the windows looking outside.

“I had a great time,” she said.

“I did too. Do you…d’you think you’d like to go out again sometime?”

“You’ve got my number. Call me and we’ll do something.”

She smiled as she turned to get out. I hopped out and started to her side before starting up the walk to her door. “I’ll call you,” I told her when we got on the porch. “Um…”

I don’t remember what I was going to say. With a smile she leaned in and pressed her lips against mine. It was innocent and short lived but with a smile and a quick wave she said her goodbyes and went inside.

&&

As I walked back to the car it didn’t matter that I’d acted like a doof so to speak all night. It didn’t matter that we didn’t get to stay out all night long none of that mattered. All that mattered was that she’d had a good time, I’d had a good time and she’d told me to call her. And you can rest assure that John wasted no time making sure I called her as soon as I woke up the next day.
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, I'm a horrible updater. I hope to get into a regular updating schedule! Comments are much appreciated. I really want to know what you guys think of this!