Status: Active :)

Pieces

Thought I Could Do This On My Own

Jasper went over to her house with her. It was almost like he practically lived there with her considering he hardly left nowadays. Ever since Bella Via, the dynamic of Adrian and Jasper's relationship had changed completely.

Adrian was still depressed, no doubt about it, but it eased a bit every time Jasper was around her. She found that the world didn't seem as scary when he was with her.

Jasper was reading the diary that had apparently belonged to Adrian's friend Rebecca before she died. It had seemed like a typical teenage girl diary entry up until he got to the last three entries.

October 2, 2010 7:48 p.m.

Dear Diary,

I am afraid. I see the red eyed man everywhere now. I thought he might have liked me at first but I think he's stalking me now. Everywhere I go, he's there, leering at me, lurking at me. I am afraid for my life.

I wish I could tell Adrian but she wouldn't understand. I am driving myself insane just at the thought of him.


October 4, 2010 9:17 p.m.

Dear Diary,

I saw him outside my window last night. Red eyes, pale skin, dark hair. He never talks when he's around me. He just stares that haunting smile at me. It is frightening. I want so badly to tell Adrian. Maybe she would understand. But I can't put her in danger, too. I would rather die myself before I let Adrian be put in harm's way first. She means everything to me. Everyday, the man with red eyes gets closer and closer to me.


October 7, 2010 6:14 p.m.

Dear Diary,

I have to leave this town. He was in my house last night, the red eyed man. He told me his name was Arthur. It's a rather strange name if you ask me. But somehow, it made me even more afraid of him. His teeth are sharper than knives. I know because he bit me on my wrist. I felt dizzy afterward. And now that Arthur knows where I live, he may hurt my family. He may hurt Adrian. I wish he never---


The entry ended there abruptly and the more Jasper read over the last three entries, he was convinced that Rebecca's death had not been suicide but murder. The man who had been stalking her was a vampire. And he had probably convinced her to drive herself off the bridge, or had done it himself. Vampires couldn't leave behind DNA so it made perfect sense.

But he couldn't tell Adrian just yet. Not until he knew his being a vampire wouldn't make her run screaming.

He wasn't sure that he should tell Carlisle, though. Odds were that Carlisle probably knew this vampire but he couldn't count on that.

Adrian stirred slightly and Jasper returned the diary to the box in the garage before Adrian would even be able to blink. By the time he returned, Adrian was sitting up in the bed, her head in her hands.

"What's wrong?" Jasper asked, pulling her close to him.

"Bad dream."

"Rebecca?" Jasper asked, concerned.

"Yep."

Jasper could hear slight sniffling coming from her and he knew she was crying. He pulled her closer to him and held her tightly. "Everything will be alright. You'll see."

"But, I just don't understand. She would never have killed herself. It just doesn't make any sense, Jasper. Rebecca wasn't that kind of person. She had everything to live for and every reason to be alive." Adrian said through tears.

Jasper stayed silent, waiting for her to say something else.

"Jasper, I think she was murdered." Adrian whispered softly.

"Can I tell you something?" Jasper asked quietly.

Adrian looked up at him, telling him to continue.

"I agree with you."

Adrian pulled away slightly. "How would you--"

"From everything you've told me, I think that she was murdered, too. That and...I read the diary."

Adrian looked appalled. "How could you do that to her?!" she yelled.

"From what you were saying, her death made no sense, so I thought maybe her diary might say something else. And you're right, Adrian. I don't think her death was a suicide."

Adrian looked at Jasper as hard as she could and relaxed in his arms again. "I didn't think you would believe me if I told you."

Jasper kissed her hair softly. "Of course, I would. There would be no reason for me not to. I didn't know her as well as you did."

Both were quiet for what seemed like a very long time. Neither wanted to say anything to spoil it. They were both peaceful for the first time in a very long time.

"Jasper, for a long time, I always felt like I was alone, like there was no one I could turn to. But when I met you, that changed a bit for me." Adrian said, like a whisper.

"I feel the very same way about you, Adrian. You are not alone anymore, darlin'." Jasper replied, genuinely feeling it.

Adrian turned in Jasper's arms to face him. Her huge eyes stared at him with innocent curiosity. And before he could do or say anything more, Adrian's pillow soft lips were pressed against his.

Venom pooled quickly in his mouth and he quickly swallowed it and relaxed against her. He returned the kiss with fervent passion. He wanted her right here and right now, but he didn't want to hurt her.

It went on like this for three more hours.

Jasper was fairly proud of himself for the control he showed with Adrian. He had thought he might bite her right there, but he hadn't.

Adrian lay next to him panting slightly. "It should be illegal to kiss like that."

Jasper smiled to himself and placed a short kiss on her lips. "Perhaps."