When September Ends

Give Me Something To Do To Kill Some Time

I couldn't look at him. I just unbuckled my seatbelt and got out the car. I lit up a cigarette and leaned on the bonnet of Mike's BMW. I could see movement in the front window. 

"Brittney over?" I asked casually, changing the subject. 

Mike didn't respond, he just stood, searching for an answer to my revelation. Several times he opened his mouth but nothing came out. He rested on the bonnet beside me and looked at me sorrowfully.

"Does Adie know?" he asked, his voice was all hoarse and I could see he was holding back tears.

"She knows" I whispered, flicking the end of my cigarette away.

"Get in the car, I have an idea" Mike said, walking round to the driver's side.Confused, I jumped in.

I didn't have time to get my seatbelt on before Mike was screeching down his street. I didn't say anything, I just waited patiently to see what happened.

After a 20 minute drive, we pulled up at a very familiar place from our youth. Christie Road. I smiled and got out the car and went over to the exact spot where we used to always sit, getting high, getting drunk, basically just killing time.

Give me something to do to kill some time

How ironic that seemed right now, in this moment was unreal. I don't have time to kill, I have to cherish every single second of every single day. I realised what a fool I'd been to upset Adrienne pretty much purposefully. I knew I couldn't go back tonight. She needed time to cool off.

Mike left me to my thoughts for a while before cautiously sitting down beside me."Lung cancer" I told him before he could ask.

"The world works in strange ways BJ." He stated putting his arm around my shoulder.

"You're telling me Mikey boy, you're telling me."

"Love you, man"

Take me to the tracks at Christie Road