Status: Finished!

Matchmaker

Chapter Six: Lorenzo

As I drifted off to sleep, my phone buzzed on my chest. I glanced at the number, and didn’t recognize it. Rupert.

I slid it open. Text message. Ellie? It’s Rupert. I tapped the phone against my chin, trying to decide if I should text back. I sighed and clicked away. Yeah, it’s me.

I started to drift again. I was disrupted by another vibration. I’m sorry about today. I didn’t want to upset you… I sighed.

You didn’t. It was my fault. I’m sorry, too. Drifting… drifting… vibration. Taking a nap was probably not going to happen.

You don’t have a reason to be sorry. It was my fault. Can I make it up to you? I bit my lip. Make it up to me as in take me out somewhere. I had to stay true to myself. I had to.

What did you have in mind? Stupid. I had some sort of weakness for this guy. I wanted to stay away from him, but at the same time, I felt like I couldn’t. Something was pulling me toward him.

Maybe a late night picnic? Tonight. 10 o’clock. : ) I sighed and rubbed my temples. I know I shouldn’t. Tonight won’t work. Rain check? Maybe that’ll work. It was a few minutes before my phone went off again.

I guess… I sighed. It didn’t take six minutes to type out two words. He was upset. I promise, okay? : )

Okay. Don’t break a promise. : ) I smiled at the phone like an idiot. I won’t.

I tossed my phone on the bed next to me and changed into some actual clothes. I needed to take a walk. A long walk. I didn’t care that it was almost dark. All I wanted was some fresh air.

“I’m going for a walk,” I said, walking past Dan and Morgan, who were snogging on the couch. They didn’t even acknowledge my presence. Apparently it’s okay to make out with your boyfriend in front of your best friend. I made a face at them and left.

I still wasn’t too familiar with the town yet, so I walked aimlessly until I came upon a small park. Lights lit up the sidewalk, so I walked around the circular path. Parents were leaving with tired children, couples walked around holding hands. Then there was me; the girl with her hood up and her hands in her pockets.

“Elettra?” Who the hell calls me that? No one… except- “Elettra!”

I was picked up and spun around by a six and a half foot, tan slob of muscle. There’s no way this was happening.

“Lorenzo!” I said, half out of shock and half out of despair. Lorenzo Ricci. My parents are friends with his parents. He, however, lives in Italy while I live in America. Well, I did, anyway. We dated one summer when his family came to the States for vacation.

A week before he left, he cheated on me with my cousin, Isabel. He took my virginity and broke my heart. It’s been two years since I’ve seen it. And guess what! It still hurts to look at him.

“Oh, Elettra, È bellissima,” he said, taking my hand and kissing it softly. Beautiful. He said I looked beautiful.

“Why are you here?” I asked softly.

“I live here now!” he beamed.

Cute, Italian ex-boyfriend say what?