The Reflection of a Lie

The Last Seven Seconds

She remembered every second and regretted everything. She wanted her soul back because she wanted a fresh start. She wanted to find that all men weren’t evil and conniving. She wanted to find some one special that would love her and only her.

Just one more.

She waited for what seemed like hours, her final victim would officially get rid of her past. Once and for all she would be free from everything.

“Hello?” A meek voice called out from behind her and she smiled. She kept her face towards the ocean and allowed the wind to carry her voice back to the woman that had ruined her life.

“Do you know how I am?” She called to the person behind her, already knowing the answer.

“I’m sorry I don’t. Have we met before?” The voice asked and she just smiled more.

“No, but you know my boyfriend.” She turned to face Maria, the smile still plastered on her face.

“I’m sorry?” Maria asked and took a small step backwards out of fear. Then the realization crossed her eyes. “Oh my god, you’re her.”

“Yeah, but I’m not here for revenge. I just want to talk.” She said and fought to take the smile off of her face. The others had been strangers, people that she knew were going to go to hell anyways.

This was different.

“A-ac-actually I don’t think I can stay.” Maria stuttered out and took another small step towards the forest.

“Oh yes you can. I just want to talk. I’ve been worried sick about him, but he won’t return my calls. I just want to make sure he is alright.” She said with a fake sorrowed expression, even though with those words her blood boiled in her veins. “Just a few minutes? Please?”

“I guess maybe a few minutes.” Maria said and took one last longing look at the forest and then hesitantly walked towards her. Maria stood next to her and watched the waves crash over the rocks below. “Those rocks look so angry. I would hate to fall into them.”

“You’ll find out soon enough.” She said and before the words fully sunk into Maria’s head she grabbed her and held her over the rocks. “You ruined my life. I sold my soul to get him back and then you took him away again!”

“I’m sorry! It wasn’t my fault.” Maria cried and tried to pry her hands off.

“It wasn’t all your fault, but unfortunately I sold my soul the first time to save him, so I can’t kill him again. But I’ll love to watch his expression when he finds out you died.” She said with a sick smirk on her face.

“Please don’t do this.” Maria sobbed, but her pleas went on deaf ears.

“Any last words?” She asked Maria, who just continued to cry. “No? Ok then.” She pushed Maria and watched the fear explode in Maria’s eyes as she lost her footing and tumbled onto the rocks below. As soon as Maria’s body hit the rocks a searing pain exploded within her and she watched a white light rise from the ground and return to her body. She gulped in a large breath and allowed the hot tears to leak from the corners of her eyes.

“Welcome back kid.” Satan’s voice said from behind her. She turned and saw him in the same position as when she first met him. “This looks familiar now doesn’t it?”

“Why are you here again? I did what you asked and I have my soul back. Now leave.” She said and shakily got to her feet, it felt as if she had forgotten how to walk.

“I know I just wanted to congratulate you on your fine work. You’re the first person to actually go through with killing seven other people in seven days. I just wanted to say that I’ll be seeing you in a few years. Maybe we can work out a deal.” He said with a laugh and disappeared in a puff of smoke.

“Just what I wanted to hear.” She said sarcastically and got up, but noticed something. She looked completely different. Her skin was a much lighter shade and her black hair was now blond. “What the hell?”

“I couldn’t let you be recognized. Now you have the fresh start that you wanted.” A voice reverberated off the inside of her skull.

“Awesome.” She replied out loud and continued through the forest and out of town.

***

She walked out onto the road and saw a truck coming towards her, she stopped and stuck her thumb out.

“Need a ride pretty lady?” An older man asked her with lust in his eyes.

“If you could that would be nice.” She said with a slight southern drawl.

“It might cost you.” He said and looked her body up and down.

“Hows about I make you a deal?” She smirked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!! I hope you liked it. I'm sorry it took so long to get this last chapter out.

Thank you!