Change

Unexpected Visit

The sun blinded my eyes on a beautiful Sunday morning, only it didn’t feel so beautiful to me. I woke up to the scent of alcohol filling my nostrils. I fucking hated Sundays. The one day I was home all day with him, my father.

I got out of bed, weary of disturbing him from his slumber and got dressed. I slipped out the front door and got in my car. My body stayed frozen for a good ten minutes before I started the engine. My heart beat fast as my father was a very light sleeper, and my old, beat-up Honda could wake up anyone on sleeping meds. I pulled out of the driveway, hastily getting away from this place. I wanted out now.

I drove, and drove, and drove to nowhere in particular. I just needed to get away. I found myself pulling into Brendon’s driveway, which for many reasons I couldn’t understand how I got there. But today was about being confident. Running from my father yes, but to face other fears I had yet to overcome. And today’s fear was Brendon.

My hands were shaking as I ran the doorbell. I had to keep calm and not be obvious. Maybe I should have called first, but then again, I hadn’t even thought about this until I was already at his house. The second I was about to turn around in impatience, I saw the doorknob begin to turn. I heard the heart beats coming from my chest, each one fighting to win some sort of race.

“Ryan?” His confused expression gave me butterflies.

Sadly, I had no idea what I was doing, so I decided to, well had to, wing it. “Hey, Brendon. I was just driving around, getting a feel for the neighborhood, and I had nothing to do on a Sunday afternoon… I was wondering if you wanted to hang out…” I began to lose focus and started stuttering, “w-we c-can invite Spencer a-and Jon a-and get l-lunch or something…”

Brendon stood there, chuckling at my hysterical appearance. I was way too obvious, I knew it. I probably fucked the shit out of this one.

“Come on in,” he said with more chuckles slipping out.

The awkward atmosphere that had once filled this house earlier this week had completely disappeared. I felt good, but crazy and out of place at the same time.

“Want lunch?” he asked, already in the kitchen.

“Sh-sure.”

Gah, I was really messing up. Look at me. Everything I did became so obvious and screamed “I LOVE YOU BRENDON URIE!” right in his god damned ears. He didn’t seem to mind though, which made me hopeful.

He ended up making grilled cheese, which was a personal favorite of mine if you’re speaking of easy-to-make meals. The table also seemed less awkward than before. We actually conversed, instead of just staring at our plates. It was somewhat of a miracle. Brendon didn’t seem weirded out by my sudden appearance, or my complete lack of self-control. He seemed to become somewhat jumpy as well, and hyper. Probably the type that becomes hyper with just one calorie of food in his system. Everything he said was just so happy. I was enjoying this so much, I lost track of time. It was nearly 5:30, and my dad would be wondering where I am by now, screaming at me when I got home. I didn’t care.

I didn’t want this day to end on friend terms, however. I wanted things to be serious. Letting this chance slip away would be bad, yet I felt I was moving too fast. I was being courageous enough as it is, so I took the chance.

“Brendon, am I too obvious?”

He contemplated this for a while, but the expression on his face gave it away.

“I knew it.” I said.

He just laughed and whispered something, but I couldn’t hear it.

“What was that?” My mind began to play out different things in my mind he was possibly thinking at this moment, and I found myself a little to excited.

“Oh, nothing.”

I didn’t want to push the issue, so I looked up at the clock again. 5:45.

“Shit, I gotta get home. My dad’s probably worried about me or something…” I trailed off, knowing he wouldn’t be worried, just angry as fuck and drunker than hell. “It was nice seeing you, Brendon.” My cheeks were heated by this time, so I didn’t turn around to wave.

“See ya, Ryan.” He replied. And although we didn’t exactly “hit it off,” I was pretty satisfied with today’s unplanned, but minor, victory.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is like hot off the press, so be weary of the quality of writing. But I think I've done a good job for this chapter, and hopefully you picked up on some of the more subtle and the major foreshadowing. I was writing the first paragraph, and began to lose focus for a while. I had so many ideas of which way to go, but couldn't pick just one. When I went back to it later at night, I figured out the perfect addition to my little story... so I hope you enjoy it. :D