‹ Prequel: Leave the Pieces

The Last Stand

Three Months.

I sighed, looking down at my now large stomach. It’s only been three months, and I already look about eight and a half months. I found out that it’s a girl, but I haven’t decided on a name yet. Hayley was pretty much in the same boat as me. She looked about eight months also. “Dylan!” I heard Emerald yell. She walked into my room, and smiled brightly at me. She walked over to me, knelt down, and put her hands on my stomach like she always did when she greeted me or Hayley. “How’s one of my favorite nieces?” She said in a baby voice staring at my large belly. I laughed.

“You are such a freak, Em,” I said. She grinned up at me.

“Tell me something I don’t know,” she retorted. I laughed again. A couple seconds later, Hayley walked in, well, more like waddled.

“Dude, these babies need to hurry up and get here already,” she said, and plopped down on my bed.

“I completely agree. I’m running out of doctors to go to,” I said. The only way to conceal what we were was to go to a new doctor every month, and lie about how many months we were.

“Dylan, I’ve been thinking-“

“Are you alright?” I asked, and then smiled apologetically. “Sorry, force of habit.”

“Bitch,” Hayley mumbled, and then got serious again. “I think it’s time.”

“Time for what?” I asked, genuinely confused.

“To go home,” she said softly. I sighed, and sat beside her.

“I know it is,” I said. Emerald looked at us both.

“I can’t. I can’t go back knowing that the man I love is still in love with a chick that is never gonna fucking love him!” She said, and her eyes starting welling with tears.

“It’s gonna be hard, Em. For all of us,” I quickly added. “But we need to do this. Forks and La Push are our homes. We need to be back with our family to raise our kids.” Emerald sighed, and then sat down in between me and Hayley.

“I know, you both are right. I’m just gonna have to suck it up, and tell Jake to fuck off,” she said sternly. Hayley and I both laughed.

“That’s our girl,” Hayley praised.

“So, when are we gonna leave?” Emerald asked us. Hayley and I looked at each other, having a silent conversation with our eyes.

“We need to call someone first,” I said, and pulled out my new phone. I touched the screen, and scrolled through my contacts until I came to the person I wanted to talk to. I put the phone on speaker.

Hello?

“Jordan? It’s Dylan.”

Image


About three hours later, we were on a plane to Seattle. Jordan was waiting for us at the airport. Mine and Hayley’s cars would be there within the next couple of days. “You know, our family probably thinks were dead,” Hayley said.

“I know, Hayls. I know.”

“They’re gonna kill us.”

“No they won’t.”

“You’re kidding, right?”

“Why the hell would I joke about this?” I laughed, looking at her.

“Mom and dad will kill us, and you know it,” she retorted, and then her bright blue eyes widened. “Holy shit, did I just call Esme and Carlisle mom and dad?”

“Yupp,” I nodded. “They aren’t gonna kill us, Hayls. Think about it? Sure. Actually go through with it? Hell no.” She sighed, and leaned back, and then let out a low groan. “What’s wrong?” I asked, noticing that she placed her hands on her stomach.

“She kicked,” she said. I smiled. I loved it when my baby kicked. Shit, I still needed to think of a name.

“Hey, Hayls, have you thought of a name?” I asked. She shook her head.

“No, not yet. I want to look at her first,” she said. I nodded.

“Good idea,” I said.

“Can’t think of a name?” She asked.

“Nope.”

“You two are so behind aren’t you?” Emerald asked.

“No!” The two of us shouted together, and then looked at Emerald sheepishly. “Yes.” Emerald laughed, and then the captain came on the intercom thingy.

We will be landing in Seattle, Washington in about twenty minutes. Please buckle your seat belts and put your seats in their upright positions. Thank you for flying Red Eye.

“Shit, we’re flying Red Eye?” Emerald asked.

“Uh, yeah. Why?” I asked.

“Haven’t you two ever seen the movie Red Eye?” She hissed at us.

“Oh my God,” Hayley muttered. I just laughed.

Thirty minutes later, we were off the plane and looking around. “Dylan! Hayley! Emerald!” We heard someone shout. I looked over to my right, and saw a tan girl with long brown hair and bright smile rushing over to us.

“Holy shit, Jordan?” Hayley asked.

“Hell yeah it’s me,” she said, skidding to a stop. “How the hell have you three been?” She asked and then looked at mine and Hayley’s stomachs. “Do Paul and Embry know?” She asked.

“Nope,” Hayley said.

“But they’re going to tomorrow,” I finished.

“Do you have any idea how happy everyone is going to be when they realize you three are still alive?” Jordan asked, leading us to a giant truck that I recognized as Sam’s.

“Why do you have Sam’s truck?” Hayley asked. Fucking mind reader.

“Told him I was picking up some friends at the airport,” she shrugged. “So, I take it you three want to go to Forks first?” She asked.

“I want to go to La Push. Can you drop them off first though?” Emerald asked. Jordan nodded with a smile.

“Sure, oh and by the way, Emily almost had a fucking conniption when you went missing. So did Sam. And Jacob.”

“Jake actually cared?” Emerald asked.

“Of course. A lot of shit went down when you three went AWOL.”

“Like what?” I asked.

“Uh, you want me to start from the beginning?”

“Please.”

An hour later, we entered Forks, and I felt like my mind was blown. Jacob got hurt. Bella and Edward got married. Bella’s pregnant. Holy shit. “I didn’t know that vampires could get someone pregnant,” Hayley said.

“Yeah, I’m pretty sure they were thinking the same thing when they were going at it like fucking rabbits,” Jordan said. I laughed. “I’ve missed you three.”

“We’ve missed you, too,” Emerald said.

“Hey, Jordan, can we stop at that diner in Forks before we go home?” I asked. Jordan nodded.

“Sure can,” she said, and pulled a ‘legal’ U- turn.

“Jesus Crist, Jordan. Are you trying to kill us?” Emerald asked.

“Who gave you your license?” Hayley asked.

“A very nice person,” Jordan said. We stopped at the diner, and thankfully no one we knew was there. “Are you two ready to go face the Cullens?” Hayley and I looked at each other, and nodded.

“Yes,” I said, answering for the both of us.

“Alright, let’s go.” We got into the truck, and Jordan put the radio on. One of my favorite songs came on, and we all sang along to it.

Maybe I'm a dreamer
Maybe I'm misunderstood
Maybe you're not seeing the side of me you should
Maybe I'm crazy
(Maybe I'm crazy)
Maybe I'm the only one
(Maybe I'm the only one)
Maybe I'm just out of touch
Maybe I've just had enough

Maybe it's time to change
And leave it all behind
I've never been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try
So why does it feel so wrong
To reach for something more
To wanna live a better life
What am I waiting for?
'Cause nothing stays the same
Maybe it's time to change

Maybe it's hopeless
(Maybe it's hopeless)
Maybe I should just give up
(Maybe I should just give up)
What if I can't trust myself?
What if I just need some help?

Maybe it's time to change
And leave it all behind
I've never been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try
So why does it feel so wrong
To reach for something more
To wanna live a better life
What am I waiting for?
'Cause nothing stays the same
Maybe it's time to change

And maybe it's time to change
And leave it all behind
I've never been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try

And maybe it's time to change
And leave it all behind
I've never been one to walk alone
I've always been scared to try
So why does it feel so wrong
To reach for something more
To wanna live a better life
What am I waiting for?
'Cause nothing stays the same
Maybe it's time to change
'Cause nothing stays the same
Maybe it's time to change


“I love Sick Puppies,” Emerald said. I nodded in agreement. We made it to the end of the driveway, and Jordan turned the wheel, taking us up the hill. The farther we went up, the quicker my heartbeat became.

They were all probably so mad. What if they hate me now? I’d hate me now.

“Hey, Dyls?” Jordan asked.

“Yeah?”

“Why did you leave?”

“I killed my old best friend. I had to get out here, and to somewhere new. Just for a little while.”

“Well, next time you want to run, can you warn us first?”

“Will do.” I opened up the door, and Hayley and I got out. I shut the door, and waved goodbye to Jordan and Emerald. Jordan backed out, and Hayley and I looked at each other.

‘Ready?’ She mouthed. I nodded, and turned to the door, taking a deep breath. I used my vampire hearing, and heard some commotion coming from the living room. The next thing I knew the door was opening slowly, and I heard a gasp.

“Dylan? Hayley?” Esme asked. Hayley and I smiled.

“Hi, mom.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright, first chapter of the last installment of ABTCS series. Comment? Message? Subscribe? Thanks. Peace, love, skittles!