Status: done comment please! =)

Meant to be . . .

His.

Kaleigh and I were finally together, much to the delight of everyone we knew. She recently finished school and was able to come to every game of the playoffs to root us on. She was the best girlfriend I could ever ask for always supportive and had an encouraging word to say when we lost and of course there was the ever popular ‘Quit moping you dumbass’ speech that I received at one point. I love her so, after game 6 of course I was upset to hear that she had interviews in Ohio and New York, I don’t want to let her go. I just got her, why would I let her go that easy? I almost hope that they won’t like her and she won’t have any option but to stay in Pittsburgh.

The final game of the Stanley cup playoffs . . . Wow. The last seconds were the longest of my life it felt like the time was never going to expire. But when it did, excitement spread throughout the entire bench as we jumped onto the ice to celebrate. They brought out the cup and presented it to Sid, before he held it up in celebration we did it just like Lee Lee said we would. The cup got passed around each of us having a moment, when it was my turn I searched the stands for her, finding her close to the ice behind our bench with a huge smile on her face and what looked like tears welling up in her eyes. Countless pictures were taken before wee went to the locker room.

I was sure that she wouldn’t be able to get into the locker room with all the press and family members but somehow she did and was being passed from teammate to teammate until she finally reached me. She let out a breath neither of us able to hold back our smiles. I pulled her into a tight hug, giving her pressing my lips to hers affectionately.

“That was for you. You made this possible. I’m so fucking happy Lee Lee! This is an amazing feeling!” I said still holding her against my body.

“I’m happy too Tangs, you guys deserved it so much. Especially against those Detroit bastards!”

“I love you so much, Kaleigh” I said once again kissing her this time with more passion than I would have normally done in the locker room my hands traveled down her back before I reached the hem of her jersey and back up slightly as I felt her soft skin of her lower back. Before I could lose anymore of my self-control the room irrupted in cat calls. I looked down at her to see her face a gorgeous shade of red.

“Kaleigh Bylsma. Here I thought you were a good girl” Billy said.

“I’m sorry! I love him damn it!” she shouted making me laugh. I held he close the rest of the night not wanting her to leave my side, we drank from the cup and took even more pictures before boarding the jet back to Pittsburgh, Kaleigh fell asleep on my shoulder during the flight. I’m not sure how because we were all very loud but she did.

“You know Tanger” Coach said turning towards me from his seat on the plane. “I don’t think she’s going to be a Bylsma for very much longer. You two were meant to be.”

“Thanks Coach. I love her.”

“I know you do.”

The past couple weeks had been the most exhausting but exhilarating weeks I have ever been a part of. There was the parade, and the parties. Let’s just say that taking the Stanley Cup to a night club isn’t the smartest idea.

I had gone up to Montreal early to get everything ready for my day and to get another thing settled. Kaleigh would be coming up after her interview to spend time with me in my home. I’m going to let you in on a secret. I’ve decided to ask her to marry me. I don’t know how yet but I’m going to ask her.

The month home had been amazing especially with Leigh here with me. My day was even better with her as well, especially when I thought about how Luc and I had talked about this moment, she was there to comfort me like no one else could. I wish that we could stay in Montreal longer but we had to get back, she agreed to move in with me and we had to move her things in and she had a meeting with Ray and Mario that she was obviously nervous about.
“You alright Lee Lee?” I asked.

“Yea, I’m just not sure what to do Tangs. I don’t want to go to Ohio or New York, but if Ray and Mario don’t offer me something then I don’t have a choice but to leave. I don’t want to. It took 3 years to get you to tell me you were in love with me I don’t want to leave you. I mean I guess I could go into another sport but I love hockey too much.”

“Another sport in Pittsburgh?”

“Yea, I mean there is football and baseball. I guess I could work for them but it’s just not hockey.”

“Well the only thing we can do now is hope that there is something open at the rink.”

“Or in Pitt in general.”

“Yeah that or you could just marry me and forget about working all together” I said testing the waters. I don’t want to propose for real and have her tell me no.

“Ha! I hope you’re joking. Not that I wouldn‘t want to marry you, but for one we haven’t been together that long. I know that we’ve been friends for a while but dating wise there hasn’t been much going on. And besides that Kris I wouldn’t not work at all, I would then be perceived as the type of girl who only married you for your money, and I really don’t want to have credit cards in your name. I’d feel like a trophy wife and I am way to opinionated to be a trophy wife.”

“Are you saying that you will marry me though?”

“Umm . . . Yea eventually. . .”

“Good, your uncle will be glad to hear that.”

“Huh?”

“That we’re going to get married . . . Eventually.”

“Kris what are you talking about?”

“Kaleigh, I’m saying that I want to marry you. And your Uncle has slyly said that you probably won’t be a Bylsma for long” I said thinking back to the flight after the last game.

“Well Uncle Dan needs to keep those comments to himself I think. But eventually he may be right.”

“That’s all I ask. That you say yes to my marriage proposal, that I will eventually make.”

“Well then yes . . . I will marry you eventually.” I couldn’t help but smile.

“So does that mean you’re going to turn down the jobs in Ohio and New York?”

“I think so. But I really want to wait until I talk to them about the job at home.”

“Alright.”

I made sure t o get up before her, knowing that she would be freaking out about the interview. I made coffee and had it ready by the time she came down the stairs, I even made toast. After she left I was picking up the ring from the jewelers and giving some of the guys a call to help me out with how to go about doing this. Hearing her walking down the stairs I poured her a cup of coffee catching her eyes wonder over my body, something she did everytime I didn’t wear a shirt around the house.

“Good morning sweetheart” I said kissing her forehead pretending I didn’t notice.

“Good morning.”

“Nervous?”

“Yes.”

“Don’t be they love you and we already discussed this on the plane if nothing else you check out the other teams in the area right?”

“Yea, but I really want there to be an opening for me with the Pens.”

“I know, I do too Lee Lee.”

“Umm there is something else on my mind Tangs. . .”

“What’s that?”

“Uh well, the eventuality of a possible marriage . . .”

“Oh, I didn’t want it to freak you out of put more pressure on you and our relationship. I know we haven’t been dating that long but we’ve known each other for a very long time.”

“I know” she nodded. “Since we were 18 Kris, it’s a long time. We basically grew up together. And I love you but now there is this added thing to my plate, I know I had to think about it before you mentioned that but now it’s even bigger on my list of considerations.”

“I didn’t mean it to be I’m sorry.”

“I know. I love you Tangs.”

“I love you too Lee Lee that’s why I mentioned the eventuality of a proposal.”

“Alright I should finish getting ready wouldn’t want to be late meeting with Mario and Ray. It’s weird, I’ve talked to them before but I’m so much more nervous this time.”

“You’ll be fine.”

“Thanks” she said before giving me a quick kiss. I really hope she gets this job.

As soon as she left I changed my clothes and went to the Jewelry store calling Flower on the way. Together we came up with a plan that he was going to help me out with by calling some of the other guys. I was at our place trying to find a place to keep the ring so she wouldn’t find it when I heard her come in the front door.

“KRISTOPHER! TANGS! TANGER!” she yelled.

“What’s going on?” I asked worried until I saw her with a huge smile.

“I’m staying in Pittsburgh!”

“Yeah?”

“Uh-huh!” I ran to her side wrapping my arms around her lifting her feet off the ground and spinning around.

“So you got the job?”

“Well that’s the thing, they’re waiting for two of your current trainers to decide on what they want to do, but they for sure want me to be apart of the company. If one of the guys decides to retire then I have the job that I originally applied for, but if not I have a couple options.”

“Which are what?” I asked unable to hold back my excitement.

“I could be an assistant for a year for two to the guys who will be retiring soon and teach little league at the rink. Which would be just adorable you know how much I love kids and hockey.”

“So that’s one option what’s the other?”

“Wilkes/Barre.”

“What about it?”

“I could go and coach there. Like actually coach. Which could lead to possibly assisting Uncle Dan.”

“Really? Babe that’s amazing.”

“I know. . . So I just wait to hear about what they decide or I can decide to just take the coaching position.”

“You would be a great coach.”

“Yeah but it’s not right in Pitt. Good news is I have a little bit of time to decide. Mario and Ray are being amazing about everything. I can’t even begin to think what would have happened if they didn’t like me so much.”

“You’re a loveable girl.”

“You have to say that.”

“No I don’t it just so happens to be very true.”

“I should call the other offers and decline and then Uncle Dan too. He’s going to be so excited!”

“I’m so excited!”

“And you just can’t hide it?” she winked singing the song that I didn‘t realize had been mentioned. “I know I know I know that I want you want you!”

“Well you could have just said so I mean . . .” I said trying to play it off.

“Oh Tangs, of course I want you. I mean I do love you after all.”

“Call those New York and Ohio people and tell them you’re not leaving before you change your mind.”

‘I’m not going to change my mind. No way no how.”

It had been a few days since I had called Flower and most of the guys were back in town ready for my surprise. So tonight we were going out to ‘hang out’ before the season started and we got busy. In other words it’s my chance to hash out details with the guys at least a little bit.

“Kaleigh, you look gorgeous” I said watching her finish getting ready.

“Thanks love. You look quiet handsome yourself mister.” She walked over stopping directly in front of me, I placed my hands on her hips gently holding her close to me.

“Well standing next to you its easy to look like this.”

“What? That doesn’t make sense Tangs.” I love when she gets confused.

“You make me look good” I clarified.

“Oh” she smiled.

“Kaleigh what are you going to decide dear?” Flower asked her once we were all settle at the club with our drinks.

“It’s a tough decision, I mean I don’t know if I’ll get the opportunity to coach again. But I don’t have the right experience to just go right into that and it‘s in Wilkes/Barre. I would coach there and then once they get called up and were with you guys it might be weird to have their old coach around especially with the ‘I‘m with your teammate‘ thing. I mean really how weird would it be for me to not only be with Tangs but to have been your coach at one time too. And I definitely didn’t go to school for 4 years to teach pee wee hockey. But I would love doing both of those things. Then there is the thing that I actually have an education for. Damn why is it so complicated?”

“Well, they’re all good options, but we would all rather have you at our rink” Jordan said.

“Definitely” I added wrapping an arm around her. “Especially with the eventual proposal.’

“Well as soon as I get a call from Ray or Mario about everything I’ll hopefully have a decision. And you all will be informed.”

“Want to dance, Lee Lee?”

“Sure thing Tangs.” We got into the song before she added “Remember before you told me that you loved me, and we were here on the dance floor?”

“How could I forget? You were very close to being drug out of here and to my apartment, you always could make me all excited Lee Lee.”

“I was hoping that you were going to take me out of here and back to your place, then maybe we would have been together sooner. Or at least had a little fun.”

“A little fun Leigh. It would have been lots of fun.”

“Minus the confusion in the morning. That would have been a little awkward.”

“Yea, maybe it’s best it didn’t happen the way I hoped then.”

“Probably although I could have done without the trampy blond hanging all over you.”

“I’m sorry about all the girls that I dated.”

“Dated?”

“Ok hooked up with . . . I didn’t think that you liked me like that and I was trying to forget you in anyway possible.”

“It hurt Tangs, to see you with girls that were everything that I’m not. That’s the main reason why I didn’t really date. I didn’t want to hurt you like that too.”

“I’m sorry Lee Lee, I really am. I was stupid to not just take a chance and tell you sooner that I loved you.”

“Oh Tangs, it’s all in the past now. And I love you. Always have.”

“I love you too Kaleigh.”

“OH MY GOSH! Kris Letang!” a random girl said walking up to us.

“Umm hi?”

“You don’t remember me do you?” I shook my head. “It’s Jenn, we made out here then some tall guy came over and you disappeared. I was very disappointed. “

“Well, I’m kind of busy right now nice seeing you again.” Speak of that night damn.

“Well if you’re done with the brunette then I’ll be over at the bar waiting.”

“Honey, you’re brunette too . . . Someone just used too much bleach” Kaleigh said wrapping her arms around me. “And that spray tan is a little too orange, pumpkin. Next time tell them to go several shade lighter. You’d be a lot prettier if you just trust nature with the coloring.”

“Let’s get out of here” I whispered kissing right below her ear. “That was kind of hot.”

“I was just giving her some free advice. Someone has to be honest with her.”

“Still, it was hot you coming to my rescue.”

“Well you had that look on your face that all guys get when there is a pushy girl around. I had to protect my man. And I think I know how you can repay me.”

“How is that?”

“You wear your under armor around the apartment . . . Or just all the time. Damn you look nice in the under armor” she said with a longing in her eyes.

“You’re thinking about it aren’t you? You bit your lip and you always do that when you are thinking about something a little dirty. Sometimes I think you have to mind of a guy.”

“The perils of being the only girl in the family. And I really wish you didn’t know me so well!”

“What did you do this time Tanger?” Sid asked from his seat.

“Called her out on thinking dirty thoughts about me in under armor.”

“KRIS! Really? Was that necessary?”

“Yea it was” Jordan laughed.

“Hey Lee Lee, some of the guys were wanting to catch a pick up game of hockey at the arena you want to come?”

“Ooh yea, just let me grab my gear ok Tangs?”

We got to the rink and laced up. We were playing for a while before the guys decided to ‘take a break‘. A.K.A. It was time to put the plan into motion. Kaleigh and I continued to skate around after placing out extra things on the bench.

“I’m glad you moved in Lee Lee” I said trying to figure out how to get into the topic.

“I’m glad I did too.”

“It will make it a lot easier, I think, for the both of us.”

“Agreed” she said smiling up at me.

“I can’t believe that we’ve only been dating for almost 7 months I feel like it’s been longer.”

“I know me too.”

“Kaleigh I love you so much” I stopped us at center ice.

“I love you too Tangs.”

“I don’t want to waste anymore of my time just dating you” I slid down to one knee and pulled the ring box from my pocket. Seeing her face go from confusion to disbelief in a matter of seconds.

“Oh my god.”

“You’re my best friend and I can’t picture my life without you. Will you please marry me?” I asked once again laying my heart on the line with her, the girl who stole my heart a while ago and won’t give it back.

“Yes” she said barely audible.

“Yea?”

“Yes!” I smiled standing back up and slid the ring on her finger before kissing her firmly. “I can’t believe you” she added only now realizing that the guys had been taking pictures and recording everything for me. Sid started recording as soon as we set our sticks and her helmet on the bench.

“So, Kaleigh. You said yes to this guy why exactly?” Sid said interviewing her on camera.

“Because I love him damn it” she said smiling and holding tight onto me. “I have since I told the bastard he hit like my grandmother 4 years ago. And I couldn’t imagine marrying anyone else.”

“Are you happy with your performance this afternoon, looks like there were a lot of emotions going on in crunch time.”

“Well Sid” she said laughing at him. “You find the person you want to spend forever with and let me know if it gets a little emotional. Every girl dreams of this even if she’s sort of a tomboy.”

“Kris, how do you feel now that its over and she said yes, you were a nervous wreck earlier this week.”

“Fucking fantastic.”

“Alright Sid I understand that you’re normally the one in front of the camera but enough with the damn questions already geeze!” Just then her phone rang and she quickly skated to where she had set it.

“Hello?” she said with a smile plastered on her face. “Oh hey how’s it going?”

“So Tanger, she said yes what now?” Sid asked continuing with the ‘interview’.

“Now we see what happens with her job possibilities. But no matter what she’ll be my wife” I said unable to not smile when I said the word wife. “You know next time we decided to record something let’s not let Sid have the camera. He asks to many questions.”

“True” Staalsy agreed.

“Hey now I’m just enjoying not being on camera for once.”

“Are you still recording?” Flower asked.

“Yes.”

“Really Crosby?”

I looked over to where Lee Lee was talking and saw her hung up and skate back to me where I instantly wrapped her up in my arms. “Mario said to tell you congrats” she said.

“Did he say anything about the job?”

“There is a trainer position open for me. But I’m going to meet with him and Ray to talk about it all Tuesday.”

“Well whatever you decide I’m here for you Lee Lee. You’re my fiancée!”

“I know this is crazy! We’re going to get married!”

“Yep!”

2 weeks later. I went to pick my fiancée - I love saying that- up from one of her new jobs. She was not only our trainer but she took an assistant coaching position at Wilkes/Barre. We all knew she would kick those guys asses easily and they would regret ever thinking she was a sweet girl, and they would be very very sore after practices with her. I watched her beat the crap out of them from a corner I knew couldn’t be seen from the ice. She not only made them do all the drills that we hated but proceeded to show them up but participating. Most likely to show them that even though she was a girl she was as good as if not better then they were. She was stronger than she looked and I got to see this first hand, if only they knew how much she wanted to be where they were, and that she was settling for the best she could get.

I waited a little while after practice to go to her office walking in without knocking she jumped slightly since she was in the middle of changing.

“You really should lock the door if you’re going to change in here” I said sitting in her chair.

“Well I knew you were coming and I was honestly hoping that you would catch me” she winked sliding on her jeans.

“It’s a good show but one that should be only seen by your fiancé.”

“Next time you should show up a bit earlier and get to see the whole thing” she suggested sitting on my lap.

“Maybe . . . You ready to go?”

“Yep, just let me grab my bags and paperwork.”

“So did you give them hell today?” I asked as we made our way out of the building, pretending that I hadn‘t watched her the entire time.

“Hell yeah. They’re going to hope that I’m never in charge of drills every again.”

“Dude she is hot!” we heard as we walked past the locker room, I instantly felt the urge to go in there and punch someone.

“Yeah and off limits. She’s engaged to Letang.” At least someone knows she’s spoken for.

“No way. Lucky bastard.” She giggled at this. I am a lucky bastard and I’m not going to deny it.

“Well lets just say I’m going to need a cold shower after all the practices she’s at.”

“Agreed, damn she’s fine.”

“Apparently you left a good impression” I said holding her body against mine.

“You guys and your locker room talk. It’s flattering and slightly creepy at the same time.”

“We’ll I don’t talk abut you like that in the locker room.”

“Yea ok Tangs.”

“It’s true Lee Lee. I may have in the past but now that you’re mine I don’t like hearing it.”

“Damn it Tangs I fucking love you” she said wrapping m her arms around my neck..

“I love you too Lee Lee. Always have always will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
4135 words

comment please =)