Desperate Measures

This day we fight!

I manage to get to the lunch room and I grab a tray – green as well. The chef is serving toast, eggs, sausages, cereals of every kind, coffee and tea, but you have to get your own beverages. I am quietly eating my breakfast minding my own business when 2 other figures join my table. I look up and see two very familiar faces, Blaine and Rico. Blaine flies an SU-37 Terminator while Rico pilots a very new YF-23 Black widow II. Blaine and Rico are my two wingmen who stay by my side when we’re flying, aiding me and taking my orders in battle. Together we make up the Black Star squadron!

“Hey, how did you sleep Colin? Asked Rico.

“I slept ok....” i replied.

“You know you don’t look that good. Did you have another dream about home? Are you getting homesick again? Replied Rico.

“Naah mate, it’s nothin`, don’t worry about it.” I responded.

Just as I was finishing my breakfast the emergency alarm went off, sending everyone into frenzy.

“That’s our cue!” I exclaimed.

I left the tray where it is and ran back to my room and grabbed all my equipment, then i sprinted towards the briefing room where everybody has already gathered. I moved over to the other side of the room and sat down in between Blaine and Rico. As I look around the dark room I can see the member of other ally squadrons. As I sit down the room goes quiet. Standing up the front is the base commander. No-one knows his real name, we just call him Sir. He’s of medium height and average build, with some muscles in his arms. He is standing next to a projector showing an image of the continent map, labeling where exactly the enemies are arriving from.

“Alright here is the briefing! Everyone listen up! Earlier this morning we spotted a large concentration of hostile planes heading south towards us. We need to stop them in their tracks and find out what they’re up to. Destroy any and EVERY hostile aircraft. We cannot let them get through our defenses people! Most of them consist of fighters, approaching in F-4 Phantoms and F-18 hornets; they won’t be much of a threat to your team Colin. Your squad does have the most advanced fighters here; it should be a breeze to take them out wont it?” Announced the base commander.

“Yes sir! I won’t let them escape sir!” I immediately responded.

“OK then! Good! Captain Greg Luther I’ll hand the briefing to you.” said the base commander.

“Thank you commander. Also, on that last note, there seems to be a small group of bombers on their way too, 4 of them, they’re being escorted by the fighters, so it seems like you’re going to have to take out the fighters first. Black Star squad! Your primary mission is to eliminate all bombers! Only when you have finished that may you pursue the other aircraft! Understand?” Ordered captain Greg.

“Yes sir! I will follow your orders as instructed sir!” I replied.

“Great! let’s get out there!” Shouted Captain Luther.

Even though I had done this before, I had never experienced tension like this as I am now. Despite how cold it is, I’m boiling on the inside and the palms of my hands are sweating. I’m shaking to.... I can’t tell if the shaking is from excitement or from the fact that if I can’t do this I’m going to let down everyone...

“Don’t worry mate! You’ll be fine with me an` Blaine!" Rico said.

Well I guess I should loosen up a bit. Besides, I’m the leader of a squadron with two of the bets pilots here, I shouldn’t worry about it.
♠ ♠ ♠
part 2