This Is How We Live.

Here we go again.

“NO!” I cried out, and I almost knocked a bottle of nail polish over.

Katie, Emi, Amy, and I were having one of our weekly sleepovers. Just like old times. Because while I was dating Brandon, those sleepovers happened without me. Now I was back.

“Are you serious, Amy?” Emi said in a small voice. She sank into her beanbag.

“You’re not serious.” Katie glared at Amy.

“You guys!” She held back tears. “I really miss being in New York!”

You see, Amy’s parents are originally from New York. She was born there. But when she was about three, her parents relocated to San Diego.

“Have you told Zach?” I said, painting my nails.

She shook her head, “Not yet.”

“What do you think he’ll do?” Emi sat up.

“I don’t know… Cry, scream, beg.” Katie added.

“You guys are making me feel guilty!” Amy snapped.

“Call him.” I said.

Amy looked at me, “Are you serious?”

“Yeah. Tell him now. We’re here to support you.”

Katie pulled Amy’s BlackBerry out of her Coach bag and handed it to her. Emi smiled hesitantly. Amy sighed and dialed Zach’s number.

We sat in a circle, staring at her phone. “Connecting… Zachy<3”

He picked up, and I detected the smile in his voice. “Hello?” He said.

“HI ZACH!” Emi, Katie, and I all screamed in unison.

Amy shushed us, “Zach, I need to tell you something.”

“Yeah?”

“I’m… moving back to New York.” She broke out in cries. I instantly went to her and pulled her in for a hug.

“That’s… That’s great!” Zach said, trying to sound excited.

“No it’s not!” Amy cried.

“No, don’t cry!” He said. And he started singing to her. She stopped crying and smiled.

“I love you,” she said. “A lot. More than you know.”

“I love you more.” He said. “And we can go long distance. We can really do this if you want to.”

“I hope you really mean it, ‘cause I want to.” She replied.

Katie and I said “Awww” in unison. Emi broke into giggles. “Where are you anyway?” Zach said.

“Janine’s.” Amy said.

Soon enough, we heard my doorbell ring. Yup. The boys were at Michael’s house. Oh, jeez.

“CAMERON!” Katie ran down the stairs when she caught sight of his face.

Nathan covered Emi’s eyes, “Guess who?”

She laughed, “I know it’s you, Nathan!”

“Darn.” He said sarcastically, then kissed her.

Amy ran down the stairs as quick as she could and ran into Zach’s arms.

Michael ran up the stairs to me, “Hey.”

“Hi.” I smiled.

Being with Michael around my friends was still kind of awkward to me. Yes, I like him… A lot. But we’ve spent so many years being friends. And I think that we should maybe stay friends. Maybe. I don’t know. It’s a confusing life that I live.

Michael slid his hands around my waist, and my phone vibrated in my hoodie pocket. “Your phone’s vibrating.” He smiled.

“Yeah. I know.” I pulled it out of my pocket. ‘New Message: Brandon’ “Ah, fuck.” I mumbled.

“MOVIE NIGHT!” I heard from the living room.

“Um, I’ll meet you downstairs.” I said to Michael.

“Sure…” He said, and ran downstairs.

“Janine can you bring down pillows and blankets?!” Katie yelled from the kitchen.

“Mhm!” I yelled.

I collected my blankets and pillows in my arms and threw them down the stairs. I checked Brandon’s message. “Hey, got a date for Battle of the Bands? ;)”

“No. Go away. Motherfuckerrrr.”

“Don’t be mean! Lol I’ll AIM you later :)”

“Stop acting like everything’s okay between us. Because it’s not. Kay, bye.” I slammed my phone on my dresser and headed downstairs. Katie and Cameron. Emi and Nathan. Zach and Amy. Same old. They were all cuddling under the green blankets I threw down. Michael took my Toy Story blanket. He would. He looked at me right when I came down the stairs and he scoot over to make space for me. I put my feet under the blanket and hugged Michael.

“I’m cold.” I mumbled.

“That’s cute. You just need an excuse to hug me.” He winked.

Nobody really paid attention to the movie. Amy fell asleep on Zach. Katie and Cameron were sharing a huge bowl of popcorn. Cameron was trying to catch it with his mouth. And Nathan was silently playing his guitar to Emi in the corner.

“Brandon texted me.” I whispered.

Michael glared, “What’d he say?”

“He asked if I had a date to battle of the bands. We’re not even supposed to have dates.”

He scoffed, “That’s stupid. He just wants you back.”

I smiled, “I like you.” I quickly blurted out. “I didn’t say that!” I blushed.

“I like you too.” He said, leaning in. Our faces were about a centimeter apart from each other and I liked it that way. “So are you gonna be my date to battle of the bands?”

“We’re not supposed to have one.” I laughed.

“That’s what all the single girls say!”

“Well, I’m single!”

“Not anymore.” He kissed me.

Katie immediately sat straight up. “Finally!” She squealed.

“What?!” I said.

“MICHAEL HAS HAD A CRUSH ON YOU SINCE SEVENTH GRADE, YOU DUMBASS.” She broke out into laughter. I looked around the room and they all nodded.

I broke out into laughter too, “Wow. I’m dumb.”
Here
♠ ♠ ♠
:) Like it?