Status: on hiatus.

Bettering The Bruises

Police Officer

The wetness of my clothes was disgusting. I had to walk about a mile to get home in this rain because the bus couldn’t get any closer. But, I really did need to think. So many things have happened today, and I couldn’t really deal with it right now. I didn’t even want to think about the name that started with P and ended with uck.

I shut the door promptly as I sighed at the nice feeling of being home. The familiarity felt nice to have.

“Hey Jenna, where have you been?” Emma got up from the couch to come and hug me.

“Sorry, I had to get uh,” I thought for a moment. “Spanish homework help. I was having trouble with it, so I stayed after.”

“Oh, okay,” she smiled. “What’s for dinner?”

“Um,” I pondered, trying to think of what was in the cabinets. “I can make you like a sandwich or something. I’m really busy tonight, I’m sorry.”

She sighed. “It’s okay, I understand. I’ll go watch more Spongebob, tell me when it’s done.”

“Sure thing squirt,” I said to her as I walked to my room. I placed my backpack onto the floor, so I could easily remember where I put it later. Then took the soaking clothes off of my body and changed into sweats and a tank top.

The cold feel of the tile met my feet soon after as I entered the kitchen. I quickly whipped out the bread and condiments for her. For some reason, the fridge was pretty bare, and I knew mom was supposed to go shopping yesterday. She must’ve forgotten, like she usually does.

I sat cross-legged on the couch next to Emma as I gave her the sandwich. We began to eat as the sound of Patrick and Spongebob’s voice filled the room. Even though this was considered a kid’s show, I still did like it.

While I was washing the un-finished dishes in the sink, a knock on the door sounded. Emma’s eyes widened in pure horror, as I looked through the peek hole. It was a police officer, which meant I could open the door.

Emma grabbed my hand and held it. “Who is it?”

“It’s a police officer honey, it’s okay,” I assured her as I opened the door. “Come in officer,” I told him.

“Thank you miss,” he nodded in my direction. “Is this the Bush household?”

“Yes it is.” I agreed, as I picked up Emma and put her on my side.

“Well, you must be Jenna,” he observed. “I’m going to have to take you two girls down to the police station.”

“Um, excuse me,” I said abruptly. “Why do we have to go?”

“You’re mother got caught stealing some serious things earlier today. And since you have no one to watch over you, we must take you down to get your paperwork figured out.” he gave a frown. “I’m sorry but you must come.”

My eyes widened in response. My mother had been stealing? Stealing what? Where are we going to stay? Mercedes hates me, and my dad is never home, literally. And I don’t want to be alone all the time, I want someone there at least in the night hours. He’s usually out drinking and having sex with some hoe bag. “What do we need to bring, sir?”

“Bring some clothes and things like that. Bring your school things too. Anything you’ll need for about a month or so.” he admitted.

I sighed. “Okay, please give us a minute then.”

I led Emma to her room shakily. “Here, grab some clothes, and put them in your backpack.”

“Why, Jen? I don’t understand,” she said helplessly.

“I’ll explain very soon, just please get some clothes ready. Put your toothbrush and brush in there too.” I paused. “I’m going to go do the same.”

“Okay,” she whimpered as she began putting clothes in her suitcase.

I then went to my room, where I took out my duffel bag. I put my necessary clothes in, then took my phone charger, toothbrush, brush, and make up and stuffed in there too. I put everything I would possibly need into that bag.

That’s when Emma came to my room, with her backpack on. “Where are we going?”

“We’re going with that nice man out there.” I faked a smile. “He’s going to take care of us.”

“But we are taking care of,” she whined. “You take care of me just fine, you’re a good mommy, Jenna.”

“Thank you honey,” I stated. “But we still must go with him right now. Things will get worked out soon- I promise.”

“Okay, whatever you say.” she replied as I zipped up the duffel bag and threw the backpack on my back.

I grabbed her hand. “You ready to go?”

“Yeah,” she smiled. “I’m ready.”

I walked back out to see the man sitting patiently. “You two ready to go?”

“Yes, sir,” I gulped. I was nervous to know exactly what was going to happen. How long was my mother going to be in jail? Where are we going to go? They wouldn’t drop me off without my father being home, and since he’s barely home, that’d be a problem. I’m only 16, and Emma is 7, we can’t legally stay alone.

He led us to the car, and we got in promptly. He began driving the way to the police station, while he talked to some people over a radio frequently. I tried my best not to cry, I couldn’t let Emma know that this was bad news.

My phone vibrated in my pocket. I soon answered it to reveal it was a text from Finn. “Hey, what’s up Jen?

I texted back a quick reply, “In a damn police car. Things are going well right now.

“Whoa, what’s going on?” he responded soon after.

As we turned a corner I typed another message. “My mom fucked a lot up. Now we have to go because we have no one to take care of us. Trying my best not to cry for Emma’s sake.”

“I’m so sorry babe, ):” the way he called me babe did make me smile some. I didn’t reply though because we had made it to the police station. It looked intimidating, and I definitely didn’t want to be in this place. And I really didn’t want Emma here.

We got our things and I grabbed her smaller hand as we walked in. “You two girls can stay in this waiting area. Just wait here for a while; someone will come to talk to you soon.”

“Thank you,” I said as we sat down on the somewhat cushioned seats. I felt so awkward here. There was no one but the ladies who worked and some loud noise coming from the back.

“I’m bored, Jen.” she huffed.

I dug in my duffel bag for the crayons and coloring book I brought. “Here, how about you color?”

She smiled widely. “Sure!” She began to work wildly at the paper. At least it was something to entertain her, to get her mind off of thinking about what this place was.

I put my head in my hands, as I tried to get rid of the massive migraine I now had. A male’s voice rang through my ears. “Hey, Jenna.”

I looked up to see that it was none other than Finn, thank goodness. “Oh, Finn.” I hugged him tightly, as my face went straight to his chest.

“How are you holding up?” he questioned, hugging me just as tightly.

That question was my breaking point for everything. My point for Mercedes not being my friend anymore, for Puck and I kissing, for my mother deciding stealing was the best option. Tears began to stream down my face, as I fought hard not to make a noise. “Not too good.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! So yeah, more drama to put on your guys' head, sorry about that, but I had to put this in here. What are you thinking of everything happening to Jenna right now? What are your predictions? So, thanks to my commenters:
LunaLovegoodq
onlythegooddieyoung
blueskittles
Kinkeh Dinosaurs
broseph
TukikoIto
i saw sparks
cho-nee-dono
Thank you all so much! I truly appreciate the feedback this story has been getting ,please keep it up :D. So, please continue commenting, that'd be great <3. Love you all!