Status: WORK IN PROGRESS

The Dark Lord's Mistress

Chapter 11

Chapter 11

'Hermione, he's one of them! He'll kill you if you go anywhere near him.' Harry was saying. I couldn't believe it. Severus had murdered Dumbledore. 'I don't believe that Snape would kill Dumbledore. He took Snape on as a spy for the Order, why would Snape want to kill him?' I said trying to rationalize Snape's motives.

'Maybe he was tired of being a double agent and You-know-who offered him something better.' Ron said. 'He wouldn't turn his back on the Order though and he most assuredly would not kill Dumbledore in cold blood.' I said defending Snape. 'Hermione, why are you defending that overgrown bat? He's been nothing but a git since 1st year.' Harry asked eyeing me suspiciously.

'He's been spying for the Order since before we were born. He was relatively safe within the Order. Why in Merlin's name would he throw it away?' I said avoiding the question. I was upset to say the least. I was also angry that it could have been true that he'd murdered Dumbledore.

'Hermione. He's a Death Eater! He always has been and always will be!' Ron said as he stood up. 'You don't even know him Ronald!' I screamed at him and then slapped him across the cheek. I stormed from the room down to Severus' rooms, praying to Merlin the entire time that he would answer the door when I knocked.

He didn't nor did he for then next two months.

2 months later…

'May I have your attention please?' Professor McGonagall said standing at the podium. I looked up from my food. Lately I hadn't been hungry. When I did eat, it never managed to stay down for long. 'As you all know, we have been without a headmaster for nearly 3 months.' She said solemnly.

The crowd broke into a hiss of whispers. 'Quiet now. As you all know, Pius Thicknesse most recently took over as Minister for Magic. It has been declared that Professor Severus Snape will be Hogwarts' new Headmaster and I will remain as Deputy Headmistress.' She said.

I felt my eyes turn to saucers when the door behind the Professors' table opened and Severus stepped through its threshold. He looked tired but commanded the attention of the room. 'Thank you for that wonderful welcome, Minerva.' He said sarcastically.

I dared not look at him. He'd murdered Dumbledore. He was no longer the man I knew nor was he to be the father of my child. 'I am a man of very few words. We shall continue as if nothing had changed. The only changes I shall make will be additions to the teaching staff. Alecto and Amycus Carrow will be taking over the Muggle studies and Defense against the Dark Arts classes respectively. Now, curfew is in half an hour.' He said before turning from the student body.

I stood and left before any of the other students could move. I walked swiftly towards the Gryffindor Prefects' common room. I didn't notice a hand reach out and grab my arm until I was falling into an abandoned classroom with a cry of shock.

I looked up to see a familiar head on silver blonde hair. I reared back and slapped him across the face. 'How dare you show your face you foul, loathsome, evil little ferret!' I exclaimed. 'Bloody hell Hermione. I wasn't expecting that.' He said while rubbing his jaw.

'You disappeared two months ago without a word and I had to find out from Harry that you were in on the plot to kill Dumbledore and you actually disarmed him before Snape killed him!' I said heatedly. His face went stone-like as the words sunk in.

'I was ordered to Hermione. If I hadn't, the Dark Lord would have killed me. Is that what you wanted?' He said darkly. 'No….Draco.' I sighed. I stepped closer to him and hugged him. 'He's not the same. He's changed and not for the better.' I said softly against his chest. I didn’t have to tell him whom I was talking about.

I sniffled before straightening. 'Inform the headmaster that I've gone to Malfoy Manor for the night.' I said my voice taking a dark tone, almost daring him to tell me to go to my common room. 'Be careful. The Carrows know you're his mistress but they won't hesitate to 'punish' you for breaking curfew.' He said.

'They'll care if I say something to him and they get in trouble.' I said darkly. 'Just be careful.' He said before hugging me again. 'Don't think you're out of the hot seat yet. You still have a lot of explaining to do, Malfoy.' I said.

'Ouch. Now I know I'm in trouble.' He said chuckling before leaving the room. I took my wand from my bag and transfigured my school uniform into a long blood red gown before lengthening my school issued cloak and throwing it over my shoulders. I transfigured my shoes into heels and cast a silencing charm on them to keep them from making noise.

I peeked out of the classroom and then hurried down the steps to the entrance hall. I slipped through the large door and threw the hood of my cloak over my head allowing my body to become practically invisible against the darkness of the night. I walked down the path that led to Hogsmeade and began turning on the spot once I'd gotten passed the wards. I disappeared into the night with a soft 'pop' intent on talking to someone about the last 2 months.

Seconds later

I appeared on the edges of the Malfoy estate to be greeted by two Death Eaters. 'Inform Narcissa Malfoy and Bellatrix Lestrange that Hermione Granger wishes to have word with them.' I said. One of them disappeared in a cloud of black smoked while the other one followed me to the front doors.

The door opened to show me the Black sisters looking rather worried. 'Hermione, its nearly curfew at Hogwarts what are you doing here?' Cissy said ushering me down the hall to her private drawing room. 'I'm sorry. I just didn't know whom else to talk to.' I said quietly as we walked down the hallway.

They ushered me into the room and the door was closed and warded behind Cissy. I sat down on the couch and looked at my hands. 'Is there anything wrong, Hermione? You've gone incredibly pale.' Bella asked as she placed a teacup in front of me.

I nodded before I covered my face with my hands. I let out a dry sob before I felt an arm around my shoulders. 'I'm pregnant.' I sobbed aloud. 'Why are you crying? This is wonderful news. The Dark Lord will be pleased.' Bella said happily.

I shook my head before sobbing harder. I calmed down a bit when Cissy started to rub my back. 'It's not the Dark Lord's baby.' I hiccupped. 'If not the Dark Lord's baby, then who's?' Cissy asked quite shocked. I shook my head. 'If he finds out, he'll kill the father.' I said as I hiccupped again as I wrapped my arms protectively around my belly.

'We won't say a word, right Bella?' Cissy said looking at her older sister. Bella nodded her agreement. In recent months, Bella, Cissy and I had become close, closer than I would have ever thought. 'I promise I won't give you or the baby's father away.' She said solemnly. I looked into her eyes and saw that she was being truthful and she had no plans to give my child's father away.

'It's Severus.' I said quietly as I looked into Bella's eyes. I saw them widen and could imagine Cissy's had too. 'I only just found out. I was planning on trying to find him to tell him, but he came back to Hogwarts and….and he's…..he's changed.' I said as I started crying again. Bella had stood and was now standing near the fireplace looking into the flames.

'How has he changed?' Cissy asked. I shook my head and cried. 'He's grown colder. I couldn't look at him. All I could see when I looked at him was Dumbledore and think how betrayed he must have felt when Snape killed him.' I said hiccupping.

I noticed Cissy and Bella exchange looks but didn't think anything of it. 'We'll take care of you Hermione. We'll protect you and the baby until our dying breaths.' Cissy said. Bella came over to the couch and sat beside me. 'She means that. You've become like family to us.' She said. She didn't smile but I knew that I could trust her words.

I sighed. I didn't know what I would do if I didn't have Cissy and Bella to help me. Cissy took my arm and led me to the guest bedroom near the secondary master bedroom where she and Lucius slept. I transfigured the dress into a white button down shirt that I'd taken a liking to after I'd spent the night in Severus' rooms that first night.

I crawled into the bed and threw the covers over my body after I'd made sure I was comfortable enough. I sighed at the softness of the bed and almost immediately fell asleep.

Snape's POV

I threw a crystal vase at the fireplace. 'Why didn't you try to stop her Draco? Are you that thickheaded that you didn't think to warn her of the Carrows and dangers they present?' I ranted as I paced. 'Uncle, I made sure to inform her of the Carrows. She still insisted on going to the Manor and if I may speak freely, I'll tell you why.' He said.

'You'll tell me whether I want you to or not.' I grumbled as I sat down in my chair. 'Its because of that night two months ago. She thinks that we did it of our own free will, that we are truly aligned with the Dark Lord. She thinks that you really are evil.' My godson said.

I felt my heart, that I'd only just discovered I had two months ago, break. I looked away from my godson and stared into the roaring flames. When I had learned that the Dark Lord had assigned Draco to kill Dumbledore, I'd feared for him. I'd gone straight to the former headmaster and told him of the plot. At that point, the ring was already zapping his strength and the potion I'd been brewing for him was just barely keeping it at bay.

Dumbledore, in a final bid to keep Draco's soul from becoming as black as mine, had asked me to take the Unbreakable vow. I had to vow that I would not allow Draco to willingly kill Dumbledore. I'd kept my vow obviously, but it didn't do me any good to know that I'd saved one person's soul only to kill another's.

I looked up at the portrait of the former headmaster. 'What would you do Albus?' I asked the portrait. 'You know me, my dear boy. I would go to her. She needs to know that you were unwilling to cast the curse that allowed me to be free of pain.' He said quietly.
'Are you going to tell me what you've assigned Potter to do?' I asked after dismissing the idea of going to Malfoy Manor after Hermione. 'You know I can't, dear boy. But you should talk to Hermione before she leaves with Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley.' He said.

I stared at him as his portrait wen silent. I scrubbed my hand over my face. I hadn't been sleeping well since the night I'd killed Albus. I sighed, waved my hand over the room and watched as the candles dimmed. I stood, went to the faux bookcase near the desk and stepped through into the Headmaster's chambers. It didn't seem right to be sleeping in Albus' chambers but I couldn't very well sleep in my old chambers with Slughorn living in them now.

Minerva had hired him in my absence. I wouldn't have, he favored witches and wizards of famous family bloodlines. I'd only favored my house. There was a difference. I changed into my sleep pants and climbed into the large king-sized bed. I sighed and looked at the ceiling. I thought of Hermione and how I should explain what happened that fateful night. I rolled to my side and reached for the dreamless sleep potion I kept near the bed. I drank the potion and laid back. I wouldn't be seeing Hermione's betrayed face in my dreams tonight.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I wrote Chapter 11 twice. The first post, I didn't like as much as I thought I would, but when I re-wrote it, even wishmaster3343 agreed it is a better re-write. We hope you enjoyed the rewrite. As always remember to feed the comment box, otherwise it gets angry and won't let us post new chapters :)

Slytherinchicks123