Status: Second Main Story; Very slowly Active

Now It's My Time to Strike Back

Chapter 22

Once again, we toured the Freshmen for the second day in a row. This time, we went straight to the cafeteria to get them something to eat as well as ourselves.

I absentmindedly ate my McChicken as I sat in thought about everything that’d happened so far.

Nick continued to stare at me periodically as though he wanted to ask me what I was thinking, but never did.

He did, however choose to speak now as I crumbled the empty wrapping paper.

“Are you OK?” he asked in a concerned tone trying to read me with his eyes.

“I’m OK”, I lied.

“I don’t believe you. Not one bit”, he replied, grabbing my trash before I could, dumping it into the trash as he returned swiftly in time for me to respond.

“Why not?” I asked, raising a brow.

“There are some things you’re good at lying about, but there are others you’re horrible at lying about”, he answered casually with a hint of concern in his eyes.

I diverted my gaze towards the entrance doors as Mel and Jake entered. Mel flashed us a smile while Jake didn’t. They merely joined our table, Jake sitting on the side farthest away from Nick while Mel sat next to Nick on his left.

“Giving the Freshmen a tour of the school?” Mel asked, smiling sympathetically to me, then Nick.

“Yeah. It’s pretty quiet since there are fewer kids than last time”, Nick answered.

“So, what time is the performance?” Mel asked, trying to get me to speak.

“7:00 tonight”, I answered, my throat feeling dry suddenly.

“You ready for it?” Jake asked, catching all of us off guard.

He and I stared at one another for a few moments before anyone spoke.

“I don’t know. I’ve got a lot on my mind right now”, I answered truthfully.

“Don’t think about whatever it is you’re thinking about while you perform. Just go out there and do it”, Mel coaxed.

I didn’t know what to think. I felt like Mel sort of knew what was going on with me somehow, but I never found out even after I spoke, flashing her a smile.

“Yeah. You’re right”, I replied.

She smiled in return before grabbing Jake by the arm as he and Nick continued to glare at one another.

“Come on! Let’s go and wait for those two! I’ll pick out your outfit later, Rose, OK?” she asked, waving back at me as she exited the cafeteria with Jake at her heels.

A laugh escaped me as I watched and all of her goofiness leave me. I began to wonder if this was how easy I should allow life to be, but that very thought was depleted as Nick spoke.

“Alright, guys! Time’s up! Let’s continue the tour!” he exclaimed in a slightly cheerful tone.

I avoided his gaze until I felt a warm hand on top of my own, gaining my attention as I stared back up at him. He smiled gently at me while I returned the favor with a small one, removing my hand from his deciding to stand as we continued the tour once more.



-One hour before the performance-

I don’t know how, but Jake, Mel, Nick, and I were all relaxing in Nick and I’s dorm waiting to go down to the performance. I had told Mel everything that happened between Nick and I, but all she did was shake her head after promising not to tell Jake or blow up on Nick.

Jake and Mel were on my bed while Nick and I were on his. I was becoming more of a nervous wreck since it was an hour before I’d have to perform.

Apparently, the others had begun to notice this fact as well.

“Are you OK, Rose?” Jake asked, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I stared at a concerned Mel and Nick, then finally Jake.

“I’m just nervous is all”, I admitted, staring at my feet.

Mel sighed before grabbing me by the arm as she led me to my closet.

“Mel, what are you doing?” I asked nervously.

“You’ve got to get your mind off of everything and I’m going to help you do just that”, she answered, pushing hangers around until she found this, surprising me and the guys.

She pulled me into the bathroom, pulling out my flat iron before styling my hair. After about ten minutes, she spoke.

“Done!” she exclaimed happily.

I opened my eyes after it all, surprised at the result. My hair was partially pinned back and in soft ringlets while I had a ringlet bang in the front that rested on the right side of my face.

“Mel”, I said in awe.

She smiled, hugging me briefly before saying, “You’re welcome” in a gentle tone. She walked to the bathroom door, opening it slowly before addressing the Nick and Jake.

“I give you the new Rose”, she said dramatically.

I bit my lip before walking to the threshold of the door unable to contain the shy smile that appeared on my lips.

Both Jake and Nick’s mouths dropped open due to shock at my appearance. I, however began to grow self-conscious.

“I-is it bad?” I asked nervously, getting ready to head back into the bathroom until the others spoke.

“No!” Jake and Nick exclaimed in unison.

“You look beautiful”, Jake commented breathlessly.

I saw Nick hold back a glare before nodding in agreement even flashing me a smile. A blush crept to my face as I thought about how I looked.

“Photo time!” Mel chimed, taking out her cell phone as she pushed all of us together to get a decent photo.

Her phone made the shutter sound after we all plastered fake smiles which were completely erased after the photo was taken. A sigh escaped me as her alarm on her phone went off indicating we had to head down there.

“It’s time, Rosie”, Jake said, wrapping an arm around me comfortingly.

“Yeah, let’s go”, Mel agreed, lightly grabbing my arm as she linked hers with mine.

A sigh of relief escaped me in my mind as we walked out of the dorm once more.



Once we reached the student lounge, it was PACKED with mostly seniors, but also a few parents here and there as well as some of the Freshmen we toured earlier in the day as well as the previous day.

Butterflies began erupting from my stomach as some of them recognized me, flashing excited smiles and waves towards my way. I waved and smiled back at them as Mel led us to an empty table somewhere in the middle of them all, but not far from the stage.

We sat down and waited as the performers before me performed. Some were great while others really surprised me by breaking out of their shells until finally, Ms. Thorne returned for the seventh time that night to speak.

“Well, wasn’t that a fantastic song? Give it up for Rebecca!” she exclaimed, the entire room erupting with cheers and whistles.

“OK, OK, settle down now”, she said with a laugh. We as well as everyone else in the audience laughed lightly with her.

“Our next performer tonight is the same young lady who performed a few months ago with her song, Haunted. Give it up for Rosalina Sanchez!” she exclaimed.

The entire room erupted with cheers of excitement as the butterflies filled me once again. I looked back at my friends before staring back at the stage, then them again.

“Just go!” Jake teased, pushing me lightly.

“You’ll do great!” Mel agreed.

My eyes met Nick’s, his full of emotions I couldn’t fully decipher. He leaned over to my ear and whispered ever so gently.

“Don’t forget to take a breath”, he whispered, his words sending shivers down my spine.

A shaky breath escaped me as I nodded to them, standing before walking to the stage. Every step felt like a nightmare and the increase of applauds didn’t help calm my nerves.

Once I got to the stage, putting the acoustic/electric guitar around me, I sat on the stool that was provided for me this time instead of standing like I did when I performed Haunted.

I licked my lips nervously, my eyes falling on a pair of hazel ones as I stared out into the crowd. Victoria stared at me coldly and I felt all of my anxiety turn into pure anger. I diverted my attention to everyone else in the crowd before speaking.

“Hey, guys!” I said into the mic, getting greeting cheers from the crowd in return.

A light laugh escaped me before I spoke again.

“I know I sung a song that meant a lot to me back in April and I gave a message about that one, but the message about this song is different. All of my life I’ve been going through issues with a certain person and I just wanted to say the message with this song is don’t give up even when things seem impossible. This one is called Let Me Fall.”

I began strumming a few chords to the song before inhaling deeply as I opened my mouth to sing.

I feel chained, chained down,
Shove me to the ground,
I can’t run, I can’t shout,
Just let me out

So heartless, this could mean less,
Gonna push it in your face,
I’m only huuuman
And I’ve got somethin’ to say!

Let me rise, let me faalll!
Let me breathe! I wanna lose control,
I’m not afraid to lose it all!
Let me break, let me crawl,
‘cause I’ll get back up again if you let me fall


My eyes landed on Victoria and I sung to her, glaring at her.

If I burned down in this fire,
Well, I’ve got myself to blame.
I can’t give stop, but give it up,
I need to feel the pain.

Can you hear me?
Don’t come near me!
You’ll just get in my way!
I’m only human!
And there’s nothin’ you can say!

Let me rise, let me faalll!
Let me breathe! I wanna lose control,
I’m not afraid to lose it all!
Let me break, let me crawl,
‘cause I will get up again if you let me fall!


I thought of everything Vic did to me over the years from her embarrassing me in front of the student body in middle school to stealing Brian and Nick from me to most recent bruise which was lightly visible on my arm. I took a quick breath before singing again singing from low to high and interchanging as the music as well as my voice intensified.

You say you know what
I’m all about.
Then you’ll understand I gotta figure it out
And live my own life


My voice decreased in volume as did the music.

Let me rise.
Let me fall.
Let me breathe, I wanna lose control,
I’m not afraid to lose it all!


The music intensified as did my voice again.

Let me break, let me crawl!
‘Cause I will get up again if you let me faaaalll!
Yeaaah!
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

If you let me fall.
If you let me,
if you let me fall.
If you let me fall, I will get up again,
If you let me fall!
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!

If you let me fall
If you let me fall
If you let me faaaaallll


The room erupted with cheers of happiness after the last note, making me smile brightly.

“Thank you, New Preston!” I exclaimed, bowing quickly as I placed the guitar behind the stool.

I walked back to the others, the cheers still continuing even after I sat down. Mel, Jake, and Nick began speaking at one time, but I couldn’t hear them.

“How did you like that, New Preston?” Ms. Thorne asked, getting cheers of agreement in return.

“Alright. Thank you, Rose for that lovely performance. Next up is a performer we’ve never heard from, so give her a first time welcome to the stage. Give it up for one of our varsity cheerleaders, Victoria Sanchez!” she exclaimed, a bright smile on her lips.

And just like that, my sense of accomplishment was erased from me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Double posts!

I do not own the song that was used in this chapter. The song is Let Me Fall by Alexz Johnson.

Last update for a good week or so. :(

Please don't forget to comment and subscribe, though!